[ICD] The Monkey King

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Monkey King
Legendary Creature - Ape Warrior
Whenever ~ attacks, put two 1/1 red ape illusion creature tokens onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Those tokens have "At the beginning of the next end step, exile it. If you do, you may return a card named The Monkey King from your graveyard onto the battlefield tapped."
1/1

[spoiler random boring story]

[spoiler yea just click away]Hm... since i'm so bad at writing story, a random idea suddenly struck me when i was walking across the street and saw this poster of "monkey king, a chinese rock musical" (what a weird combination)...

the idea was kinda like .... hmm... damn who was that super amazing designer who did around the world for 80 days cards? nevermind. found him - Lyra_K (miss him so much) 

so I pick a story. And make cards to depict the story chronologically. see how far i can go XD
To ensure mana cost and color distribution, I'd also would go in CMC order, then a different color each time so I can make a set without much bookkeeping.

hm.. but no i still don't foresee myself completing a set, even if it's a super mini set... better put this in a spoiler and hide it lol[/spoiler][/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
This is pretty strong. Really. But I am into it. I'm all about Legendary Monkeys. I'd run this in a heartbeat.

Also, w/r/t your story is this "super mini set" going to be a musical? Because that'd be grand.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
what does w/r/t mean?
damn i feel like an old man : (

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
what does w/r/t mean?
damn i feel like an old man : (

With Regards To.
Yeah, that isn't even internet slang. That's like old short-hand or something. I use it for taking notes.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I've always seen it in math papers as 'with respect to', i.e. "take the derivative w.r.t. ϕ" or something.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Doesn't really seem like the Monkey King to me. Needs more douchebaggery and power/toughness switching.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Doesn't really seem like the Monkey King to me. Needs more douchebaggery and power/toughness switching.

He has too many aspect. But he will come back in higher CMC.
Starting at CMC one for now : D

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
maybe i should name it "Monkey King's Hair" lol just to reserve "The Monkey King" for later iteration

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Research the sources if you wish to gain a better perspective of the character's depth.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_Wes...

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_%28novel%29

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saiyuki_ch...

As you can see, everyone seems to have a different point of view. The truest nature of the character is the Trickster nature (this link). That itself is very deep and takes a great deal of comprehnsive knowledge to discern. In my point of view on the trickster, they're a very neutral character. They don't seek to hurt people, their actions seek to balance things out generally. If they mess with someone, it's because they feel it's the right thing to do and there is always a method to their madness, or a cause to their action. They don't seems to every mess with someone for nothing, or because they like to torment people, that's getting to the malign. Malign doesn't fit the description based on the actions of many, many tricksters.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

hey cool i'm right on target. 
he's a trickster. And he's a pretty fierce warrior as well. all in one. i m happy.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

GM_Champion's right.

And there is a future in which I can see only mist and a single shadow.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I think the design you've got is pretty cool. It's concentrated, even if tokens aren't exactly red's niché (unless they're Goblins). That's a tie-in to Magic history though; the reason there is so much Goblin support, I mean. You'll see my rendition in awhile, if you're into the character. He's one of the main characters in Bloodlines of the Orient. By nature, even though he's a trickster, he's a virtuous soul. That's why I based him as the legendary creature in green/white (he's Green and White, solid multicolor). The green embodies the classic conception of the Monkey (like Zodiac Monkey), while tying into his trickster nature as the being the great equalizer or avenger. As in, he seeks to ensure justice is done (like Justice, against all who upset peace or the natural cycle of life). Being a vigilante can be red, so your concept supports this POV too (as does him being a Warrior).

This is the common ground between red and white, I just choose white as symbolism of his majesty and virtue, to symbolize that Son Goku is in fact a righteous entity (and not a malign one). Many concepts throughout Asian culture depict and relate the trickster nature (and the monkey, and the character Son Goku) as a very cold, careless type. Someone who will just slap you in the back of the head for a laugh and no other good reason. But this is a negative POV, and a very bad representation of this specific character. It's more a generalization of the primitive monkey, who is bound by the limits of nature, being a primitive animal, and overwhelmed by instinct (and all those other wonderful green flavors).

Son Goku is an ascended being, he shouldn't be confused with monkeys of lower intelligence and evolutionary state. Not to mention, he's a hero, which is itself symbolic of goodness and purity in heart and soul. It really depends on the crowd, usually the older people see the righteous hero side of Son Goku, whereas the younger people see the cold, cruel trickster. This degree of POV could have a lot to do with personal maturity, you see what you want to see, and it's an embodiment of who you are. If we go by the details of the story (and mythology), it weighs in favor of the mature, noble Goku. It's only when we start getting into pop culture do we see the cruel careless embodiment, acting as a false representation people have created.

Speaking of tricksters in mythology, Trickster Makes This World is a really good book.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

1 year anniversary. Hooray.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

1 year anniversary. Hooray.

Carnival of Souls meets Rethink

Aside from that, my true anniversay is March 18th, starting from 2008 (this link). That was back when I was fighting the Devil over my soul. You're about six months late and three years short. Thank you anyways, it's always nice to see something thoughtful.

You having multiple accounts isn't exactly newsflash. Your provided link seems to strongly indicate a past beyond that though.
Not that any of this actually interests me all that much, it was more of a combined "Woah, you survived a whole year without getting a new account" and "What a fitting day for your suspension to end on".

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Sign In to post comments