Drow Mage questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello I'm a new player who has started a level 8 Drow Mage that will Multiclass in to the Rogue class. I hada few newbie questions that I need answered!

1)What exact spells do I put in the spellbook? Meaning if one of powers does not say arcana in the keywords I dont have to put it in the spellbook right?? for ex. Arcane Mutterings??
2)if a creature is caught in my Cloud of Darkness will it take a -10 penalty for being blinded AND I being totally obscured while in the cloud or just the -5 for the creature being blinded??
3)I wish to multiclass rogue down the line and one ofthe feats allow me to get the sneak attack feature, would that count towards the spells I cast with my dagger?i also have light blade implement feat)     

Thanks to alll that will help with these questions!!
Hello I'm a new player who has started a level 8 Drow Mage that will Multiclass in to the Rogue class. I hada few newbie questions that I need answered!

1)What exact spells do I put in the spellbook? Meaning if one of powers does not say arcana in the keywords I dont have to put it in the spellbook right?? for ex. Arcane Mutterings??

Per the text of Spellbook, you can only put Wizard Daily Attack and Wizard Utility powers in your Spellbook. Granted, Race, Theme and Skill powers that you could take as you advance did not exist at the time the PHB was written, but the rules text for Spellbook has never been errata'd to take them into account.

2)if a creature is caught in my Cloud of Darkness will it take a -10 penalty for being blinded AND I being totally obscured while in the cloud or just the -5 for the creature being blinded??

-10 to Perception checks, still only -5 to hit if the creature correctly guesses which square you are in (provided you moved and made a Stealth check after you dropped the Cloud of Darkness).

3)I wish to multiclass rogue down the line and one ofthe feats allow me to get the sneak attack feature, would that count towards the spells I cast with my dagger?i also have light blade implement feat)

If you can use a dagger as an implement, then it looks like it works.

It bears noting that Light Implement Expertise does not give you the ability to use a dagger as an implement.  You'll need to take Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blades) for that.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Hello I'm a new player who has started a level 8 Drow Mage that will Multiclass in to the Rogue class. I hada few newbie questions that I need answered

If you are a newbie, you should not be creating an 8th level character.  Yes, the rules allow this.  No, it is still a very bady idea for the novice, as your questions tend to show.  Of course, you may be trying to join an 8th level group and the ability to mix levels is not one of 4e's strong points.  But even then it is no more than the less bad choice. 
    No, you should not be trying a multiclass.  Now granted, the critics are right in saying everything in 4e is much the same once you get past the paint job.  [They are just wrong in deeming this a flaw.]  But you are still trying something that is easier to screw up, even if it is only marginally so.  Better to go with a pure class for your first PC.
     And that should be Rogue rather than Mage.  Drow just don't make good mages.  True, in my drow party, the wizard, if not dominating, was certainly pulling his weight, but he was the most skilled player we had.  Since you have much to learn, you will likely end up as the party wimp.  You may love the very idea of being a mage, but be warned.  If you have any dreams of being the stud, select something else or abandon those dreams.

Very little stacks in 4e.  If something is blinded, everything else becomes heavily obscured to it.  The two are pretty much the same thing and there is no stacking.

Check with your DM.
     The text says "weapon", not "implement".  The routine ruling is that "weaplements" swing both ways, but your DM might insist it is weapons only and can't be used as part of a spell attack.  You can probably get a lot of people here to say he is wrong, but he is still the DM and is thus never wrong.  Our opinions just don't count.
Per the text of Spellbook, you can only put Wizard Daily Attack and Wizard Utility powers in your Spellbook. Granted, Race, Theme and Skill powers that you could take as you advance did not exist at the time the PHB was written, but the rules text for Spellbook has never been errata'd to take them into account.

Actually, he's a Mage.  Mages get Encounter powers in their spellbooks, too.

So, any Encounter, Daily or Utility powers that are from the Wizard class will go into your spellbook and need to be prepared at the beginning of the day.  Any of your rogue powers (should you decide to get any), class powers (like Cloud of Darkness), skill powers and theme powers are not in the spellbook.

It should also be noted that you only get two powers at a level if both are wizard powers.  Should you use a power swap feat to get some rogue powers, you lose both wizard powers at that level and take the rogue power instead.

Regarding the use of sneak attack with spells: Ask your DM.  As written, you'd get your sneak attack damage from any spell using your dagger as an implement.  The text for sneak attack doesn't specify weapon attacks--just that certain weapons make the attack, and using a dagger as an implement would satisfy that condition.  However, I wouldn't allow it (or I would allow it in some very special conditions).  The spirit of the rules means for that to be a weapon attack.