What about Eberron?

Reading the magic item packet there seems to be an implict asumption that magic items are crazy rare and that you cannot buy them. But in the Eberron setting, magic items are quite common and a part of daily life. Will 5th edition be able to support Eberron (my favortie setting).
In Eberron's case, it's just a matter of handing out more magic items.  The default rules assume a setting like Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk.

I'm sure there will be more details on running lots-of-magic campaigns after the game releases, when they can start work on an Eberron update.
they've said about a hundred times that campaign settings will be one of the ways they'll be adding optional rules to emphasize what makes that setting special.

any eberron material that gets published will surely have rules for more common magic items. 
Reading the magic item packet there seems to be an implict asumption that magic items are crazy rare and that you cannot buy them. But in the Eberron setting, magic items are quite common and a part of daily life. Will 5th edition be able to support Eberron (my favortie setting).

Yes. Because the Eberron setting book (any setting book, really) will have its own implicit assumptions that differ from the the base rules to some degree or another.
Or, conversely, in Dark Sun, there'd be rules for having no magic items, or at least, the increased danger of using magic items in such a magic-volatile world. World-specific modifications WILL be a part of the design for that world.
"Our idea of rules modules has a wide range of scope; sometimes, our rules modules might just be small tweaks and variant rules, while other times they could be large-scale changes and entirely new subsystems. We want people to make the game their own, and that means provided a whole array of possibilities based on what you, the players, tell us that you want." -D&DNext Q&A Blog, 8/29/12, Answer #3.
What they need are generic low magic and high magic modules until the setting books come out.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Under Buying Magic Items it says:

''Unless you decide your campaign works otherwise, magic items are, by and large, so rare that no market exists for them.''

So you could easily decide that your Eberron campaign has magic mart even if the campaign sourcebook doesn't say anything about it. This level of low magic is just a default assumption that can be deviated from if the DM wish.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

''Unless you decide your campaign works otherwise, magic items are, by and large, so rare that no market exists for them.''

So you could easily decide that your Eberron campaign has magic mart even if the campaign sourcebook doesn't say anything about it. This level of low magic is just a default assumption that can be deviated from if the DM wish.

And yet we have no values for how much they would be bought for, just sold and apparently only to extreamly limited people (like dwarven kings who live in splendid caves and wizard in far-away towers).

Personally, I don't want Tolkien style magic in my games and magic-marts should be an option even if it isn't "default".

I gotta say, the book finally backing me up in telling my players that they can't find an item in a town is awesome. I think this really let's magic items feel rare and special, instead of having players enter every town by saying "Can I buy a glove of storing? No? Why not?".
My two copper.
Seems like they are going a bit too far with it. Halruaa should have wands a plenty, and most major cities could have a magic shop of some sort with magic items remaining a rarity.  
Seems like they are going a bit too far with it. Halruaa should have wands a plenty, and most major cities could have a magic shop of some sort with magic items remaining a rarity.  

While I agree, setting the base for magic items being super rare, it makes it easier to work up to more magic heavy settings and locations. You know, start at the bottom and build up.
I heard a rumor somewhere that they were going to have a plague in Eberron that is communicable through magic items and that they subsequently become outlawed. The houses that deal in magic items get destroyed. Kind of like how Forgotten Realms has a huge change every edition. They are going to do that to Eberron, and turn it into a low magic campaign setting...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I heard a rumor somewhere that they were going to have a plague in Eberron that is communicable through magic items and that they subsequently become outlawed. The houses that deal in magic items get destroyed. Kind of like how Forgotten Realms has a huge change every edition. They are going to do that to Eberron, and turn it into a low magic campaign setting...

Actually a neat idea for setting up a new setting. I hate the Cataclysmic upheavals that happen between editions for established settings. They keep wrecking FR every edition, especially the whole stupid Spellplague thing.
I would argue its easier to have the default be magic-mart and then having them be rare.

if they are rare there are no mechanics to have them be bought, you dont have as many and they all tend to be very powerful.

in a magic-mart you want alot of magic items, most of which are fairly mundane (bag of holding being a good example) and of course you DO want some that are crazy powerful as well, the kind that would awe a king and would change the course of history.
with the exception of the items designed to be over-powerful (rares) you also want them to heap everyone equaly, to make it easy to balance encounters.

if you start with magic-mart and go to them being rare you just remove the weak items, ignore the rules for buying them, and adjust the encounter balance however much you need to. if you go from rare to magic-mart you have to give prices to every magic item, make up alot of items, and figure out how it effects the balance.

---

if you start with high magic and with magic items helping everyone equaly you also can make a campain at any point between those two extreams and have it work.

of anything in the entire game magic items should be modular, the very idea they are hard-coding "magic items are rare" means they dont take the idea of the game being modular serously. even that was not a stated goal it is not their place to make the game lean that way it is a campain decision not one someone 100's of miles away should make. and because it changes so much its a waste of time anyway, the rules they are making will only help those people who WANT magic items to be super rare and it will help everyone not a wit.

---
to be honest its starting to feel like they are only doing magic items the way they are because its much easier to make a fewer items and not care if they are balanced then make system for balancing them and provide enough to be usefull for high-magic campains
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
I heard a rumor somewhere that they were going to have a plague in Eberron that is communicable through magic items and that they subsequently become outlawed. The houses that deal in magic items get destroyed. Kind of like how Forgotten Realms has a huge change every edition. They are going to do that to Eberron, and turn it into a low magic campaign setting...

Please be messing around.  I may not be the biggest Eberron fan (albeit, that setting made up a good chunk of play during my high school.) Setting Shattering Events make me cry.

Anyway, I figure they're going to do setting specific rules too.  Like Dark Sun, the no magic items/volatile stuff.  Same deal with Ravenloft, where the magic can be used against you, perhaps even corrupt you.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!