Epic Experiment into Psychic Spiral

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I cast Epic Experiment for X>=5 and run into Psychic Spiral.  Do i get to shuffle the experiment or any of the other revealed cards into my library?

I'm confused as to how this works since you're casting a spell within the resolution of another spell.

Thanks.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

you choose the order in which to cast the spells
so you decide if and which cards you cast will get shuffled into your library

the ones you don't cast will get shuffled into your library in any case
proud member of the 2011 community team
(The Experiment itself, plus the cards you didn't or couldn't cast, will always be shuffled in, since they'll go to the graveyard before any of the spells you cast off of the Experiment can resolve.)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

(The Experiment itself, plus the cards you didn't or couldn't cast, will always be shuffled in, since they'll go to the graveyard before any of the spells you cast off of the Experiment can resolve.)

YEEESSSS!! Sweet! Thanks so much guys.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Epic Experiment will finish resolving before any of the spells you choose to cast resolves,
therefore it will be in your Graveyard when Psychic Spiral resolves,
and so will be all the exiled-but-not-cast cards,
as may be some of the chosen spells, if you cast them on top of Spiral.

The other chosen spells should still be on the Stack, if you cast Spiral on top of them. 

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

I hope no one minds a follow up question to this. Since it's about Epic Experiment.

If I EE with x=5 and I run into a reverberate and a searing spear.  I choose the order with which spells are cast, but do I still have priority within each cast of the spell? Can I copy the Searing Spear?

Or is each spell resolved then moved off the stack leaving me with nothing to reverberate with at the end of it.

Thanks!
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
you can Reverberate the Searing Spear
you choose the order in which to cast the spells, if you cast the Spear first it will be a legal target when you cast Reverberate

priority has nothing to do with it, noone gets priority during the resolution of a spell
yep, epic experiment will resolve and then go into your graveyard...then you will recieve its effect and draw your cards (including psychic spiral) and it will go back into your library

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
yep, epic experiment will resolve and then go into your graveyard...then you will recieve its effect and draw your cards (including psychic spiral) and it will go back into your library

that's wrong
Epic Experiment is still on the stack when its effects happen, including the casting of the revealed spells
I am in agreement with Enigma, when Epic Experiment resolves you exile the top X cards of your library, you may then cast any number of instant or sorcery in any order, you then put all cards not cast this way into the graveyard, and finally Epic experiment will go to the graveyard at the conclusion of its effect.  You would then proceed to the spells you just put on the stack resolving them in the reverse order in which they were cast.
the second [c] needs a /, not a \
and no spaces between the [c] and the spell's name
Okay I think I got it right, thank you.  As a side note are you a judge I have read a lot of post by you, (and you post a lot) and you seem quite knowledgable about many areas of Magic.
I am not a judge
I'm just someone with interest in the rules (that I sometimes get wrong, damn you Layer system!)
Haha okie doke, I was just wondering.
are you a judge?

many of the posters in this forum are judges (eg. Segoth, Zammm, Natedogg, Goblinbasar), but many of us are not.

Many Judges that you encounter at your local Magic events aren't actually DCI certified judges either because there is no requirement that they be certified. However, the Tournament Rules still make that judge the authority at that event (even over a visiting certified judge)

The point is this, the rules are what they are, sometimes there are rulings to support the rules for cases where the rules either aren't explicit or don't really answer the question.

Many of the frequent posters here know the rules and rulings as well as any certified judge and can quote the relevant rules or direct you to prior rulings where an actual certified judge (or even sometimes the Rules Manager) has ruled it so.

Everyone is fallible (even the DCI certified Judges) and we all have bad days where we miss some important detail that changes the answer, but fortunately, there is a cadre of qualified (but not necessarily certified) people here checking other answers to make sure that you leave here with the right answer.

So asking "are you a judge?" in the majority of cases isn't really that significant because you'll get the right answer regardless (though sometimes you need to wait a bit)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

For example, I am no judge but I can read the Comprehensive Rules:
608.2k As the final part of an instant or sorcery spell’s resolution, the spell is put into its owner’s graveyard...

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Sign In to post comments