Suggestions for a hybrid fake Skald/Warlock?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Building a hybrid bard/warlock with Skald Aura and Skald at-wills to take advantage of Eldritch Strike. Also open to suggestions for a different combination with hybrid Fake Skald. Currently running a human (open to race change as well). with Words of Gravity, Eldrich Strike, and Eyebite. Took Fey Pact because I wanted to try something different and I'm tired of Sorc-King pact everytime. Plus Fey has some good psuedo-leader powers like Witchfire. Also this is level 3 at the moment.

Taking Hybrid talent, most likely on Bard Armor, though I'd really like to get a pact boon if possible instead. I really hate spending my HT talent on borking old armor, so if there are any easy AC boosters let me know. Of course Skald Aura is taken, and I'm not sure on the last feat. I'd also like that to be something "fun", in that its something other than expertise, improved defenses, must have feat #7.

As far as being open to other class ideas, I was wanting some kind of suave melee type. I even though about Vampire. They're not good, but they're so close to being indestructable that I thought I could soak some damage to make up for only having one heal/encounter. As you can see, this is sort of a mess of a concept at the moment, but luckily that's where you guys come in! Anyway, I appreciate the help as always!

And for what its worth, this takes place in Eberron. 
It's just a thought, but give Executioner/Fake Skald a look...

If you are going to being focusing on basic attacks, might as well make them hit like a Mack truck... and it would cover both melee and ranged.

Of course with that said, you could Executioner/Fake Skald as a half-elf and grab Eldritch Strike as Dilettante.

Hybrid Talent for Virtue of Valour and go to town as a War Chanter in paragon.
I like Executioner better also for this.  Skalds (even fake ones) need a couple minors to set up, and often a few in later rounds as well, and adding curse to that can be a headache.  The dailies/encounters let you really focus exclusively on your MBA. 

The other nice thing about hybrid Executioner is that it lets you use dex for your MBA.  With a dex|cha split you'd also have decent AC without blowing hybrid talent, although you'll probably want TWD and a rhythm dagger.  You could do the same with an ES Warlock and int, but no init bonus.  For what it's worth, the dex skills also seem to fit your concept more than int-based ones.

Either way you go, you can MC into the other class and get Shadow Walk as well for a defense boost and concealment stuff.
I agree Executioner would probably be mechanically better, but I wanted him to be a bit of a spellslinger. I've always liked that archetype, but found it fairly hard to build outside Swordmage shenanigans, which is a drag if you don't want to play a defender. Lightweight melee mages are my thing.

That being said, that's a fair point about needing to set up curse. Minor to activate my at-will, minor to curse a dude, my first turn is going to be a shade gimped no matter what, unless I take eldritch blast and spend the first turn on the backlines. I really want this guy to have access to arcane flavored magic. Plus I played an executioner once and absolutely hated it. I mean, he was effective, but he was so boring in battle I ended up rerolling to an Assassin, and then a gloom pact hexblade which I've played for a little over a year now. 
I am thinking about a similar character, a summary of thoughts:

- I decided to not bother with the Skald aura.  I'd rather have an encounter Majestic Word for the action economy and the shift, and take powers like Lesser Flash of Distraction to use with Eldrich Strike.
- Going for a staff to avoid AOO's from ranged and area powers is a pretty big hit when compared to the advantages of a good weapon and Eldrich Strike; going human seems like a poor choice because the extra at will grants another ranged power.
- Tieflings are a good race with good stat matchups (Cha/Con or Cha/Int) and feat support.
- If you go Cha/Con you pretty much have to use your Hybrid Paragon feat to get armor, which sucks.  You could also use Strength as a tertiary ability score to buy chainmail and totally gimp your Int/Cha.  Also, you could do both and retrain Hybrid Paragon when you are done using a shield.
- Going Cha/Int may be a decent option that I haven't fleshed out yet; I'm not sure how critical Con is.
- No idea what pact to take either to start or at Twofold time.  A good default is take Sorcerer King for the damage and select something at paragon to suit.
- Probably will take Cutting Words as the second at will.  If somebody is adjacent, there pretty much isn't any reason why I wouldn't want to do more damage with Eldrich Strike; a ranged option vs will that pulls seems good. 
- Paragon path thoughts:
1.  Suck it up and be a War Chanter; this causes the armor class issue decribed above
2.  There are some very nice warlock PP's (good for curse damage on powers) that are a bit leadery such as  Astral Ascendant, Umbral Cabalist, and Evermeet Warlock.  
3.  Tieflings are great, and have some nice options such as Lost Soul and Seer of Endings; doesn't combine with your curse damage. 
I'm on my phone so this may be short/poorly written.

I like the Skald Aura so I can get the benefits of the minor action Bard At-Wills with Eldritch Strike. Its not so much the aura itself. And the Human At-Will nets me another one. Basically I use Eldritch Strike, get curse damage, and net an ally a sweet +2 to attack or defenses. Pretty nice. My problem with regular Bard is I can either Leader things *or* Strike things. With Skald Aura and the minor action At-Wills from Skald and E. Strike I can do both, though my first couple of turns require some choices due to lack of minor actions.
Thank you for that descrpion of what you are trying to do.  For what it's worth, I think that there are not enough minor actions in the game for this build.  It won't be as bad on turns that you don't have to move, but this seems like trouble.

I like the combination of Bard/Skald encounter powers such as Lesser Flash of Distraction and Eldrich Strike; they are not dependent on a skald aura.
Don't forget your aura takes another minor to activate in the first place, and many later skald powers are also minors.

The problem here is that spell-slinging and eldritch striking are going to pull you in two different directions.  You're going to need to put a lot of resources behind ES to make the build concept worthwhile (and there are just a lot of fun tricks to do here), but then in an actual combat, you might only use it for 2 rounds because you want to use encounter powers too.  Every round you don't use ES, many of those resources are wasted.

I'm afraid fully opping this concept would result in something very much like your boring executioner.  It looks like with your playstyle you should mostly stick to general op that boosts your encounters as well, with maybe one trick with ES like flail shenanigans or something.
Thank you for that descrpion of what you are trying to do.  For what it's worth, I think that there are not enough minor actions in the game for this build.  It won't be as bad on turns that you don't have to move, but this seems like trouble.

I like the combination of Bard/Skald encounter powers such as Lesser Flash of Distraction and Eldrich Strike; they are not dependent on a skald aura.

I'll agree for the first couple of turns, but remember, the Skald Aura and the Bard At-Wills only take 1 minor action to activate, then they're on for the rest of the encounter. It should only pose a problem in the first couple of rounds of combat when you're trying to establish yourself.

Don't forget your aura takes another minor to activate in the first place, and many later skald powers are also minors.

The problem here is that spell-slinging and eldritch striking are going to pull you in two different directions.  You're going to need to put a lot of resources behind ES to make the build concept worthwhile (and there are just a lot of fun tricks to do here), but then in an actual combat, you might only use it for 2 rounds because you want to use encounter powers too.  Every round you don't use ES, many of those resources are wasted.

I'm afraid fully opping this concept would result in something very much like your boring executioner.  It looks like with your playstyle you should mostly stick to general op that boosts your encounters as well, with maybe one trick with ES like flail shenanigans or something.

Yeah, for this build I'm not wanting to do anything *too* elaborate. I basically want to make sure its viable, and I want to have fun with it. Like I'd said in the initial post, if you can think of a better way to build the character concept, (A little swordplay here, a dash of magic there, some strikeyness, and a pinch of leader) I'd be all for it. This just seemed (initially) like a really elegant way to wrap it all together, though as has been pointed out action economy is making it more difficult than I thought it would be.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I'll agree for the first couple of turns, but remember, the Skald Aura and the Bard At-Wills only take 1 minor action to activate, then they're on for the rest of the encounter. It should only pose a problem in the first couple of rounds of combat when you're trying to establish yourself.

While that's mostly true, the first few rounds of most encounters I've played in are by far the most important, especially for a character with a leader focus. By far.

That said, some GMs will let you activate and energize your aura out of combat if you're in an area where you could reasonably expect combat to happen (such as, y'know, a dungeon). It's not something you can rely on for a general case, but if the GM you actually play with is cool with it, it helps you out a LOT. If you play with a consistent group, it's worth at least asking.
For what it's worth: as far as I can tell, the reason the aura is an encounter power instead of at-will (which could then be assumed to just be always up) is the heals. I think they made it encounter instead of at-will just so that you couldn't reuse the at-will power to get infinite heals.

So, as a DM, I would allow Skalds to always have their aura up, and at-will chosen.  But that's not the rules, that's just my bias.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

It will also help you out if combat in your play group tends to drag out over a lot of rounds.  If most fights are over in five rounds this build is trouble, but if they are over ten rounds long you will have a couple sparse turns at the beginning.
Sign In to post comments