The Troupes of Circina

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on fixing some things in Velicta block that aren't turning out quite as I wanted. That is still going on.

So I thought, what if instead of just a block, I made a whole Standard?

The second block in this Standard would be the Circina Block.

Circina is a world where performance and art are everything. The people of the world have long given up warfare as uncivilized. Everything is about finding the sublime, and many people have founded artistic groups based on that ideal.

On the top of the hierarchy there are Circina's five troupes, each of them focused on two card types. Ideally, Circina is about playing two card types together. It is to card types what Ravnica was to color pairs: it gives them an unique identity and playstyle.

Each of the troupes expands in wedge colors. This, however, is not another Wedges of Alara variant. It is just because three colors seemed the right amount, and the card type pairs seemed to work better in enemy color triads than allied ones. Each troupe would get a three-colored mythic leader, but this would not really be a gold set. Think of the way Lorwyn tribes were two-three color but the set itself was not gold focused.

Each troupe has access to creatures and lands. Those card types are so basic that I felt they should just be taken for granted. To diversify decks, each troupe gets two other types to play with. The idea is that a Curzin deck, for example, plays only lands, creatures, sorceries and enchantments. It wouldn't play instants, artifacts and at most only one or two planeswalkers. This may turn out to be too dilluted, though.

Without further ado, here is a brief introduction to the troupes, as they currently stand:

The Maravilla Company

Focused on instants and sorceries, the Maravilla Company are known for the most spectacular effects in Circina. You want spectacle, you go to them: their fireworks are the creative equivalent to the Big Bang.

Given that their two card types of choice are the two spell types, the Maravilla have lots of way of interacting with spells. They don't have just "whenever you cast" triggers, they directly interact with spells you control. Like this:

Burst of Life (U)

Instant
Put X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the converted mana cost of target spell.

Maravilla Pyromancer (U)

Creature – Viashino Wizard
1/1
: Maravilla Pyromancer deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of spells you control.

Of course, that means that they also have a lot of cantrips to set up their big stack of spells.

The Thenic Gallery

Focused on sorceries and artifacts, the Thenics are sculptors that attempt to encase the full fulgor of life into a cold shell of stone. They care not only about the artifacts they have, but they also like immortalizing their dead into monuments to whatever virtues they wish to exalt:

Immortalize (U)

Sorcery
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It becomes an artifact. (It is no longer a creature.)

In fact, they revere statues and paintings much more than the living they are supposed to represent. Both the sorceries and the artifacts they control are about sacrificing the living for the greater good of Art, and play off a lot of the things in their graveyard.

Pantheon of the Ancestors (R)

Artifact
Pantheon of the Ancestors enters the battlefield tapped.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Pantheon of the Ancestors unless you exile a creature card from your graveyard.
: Destroy all creatures.

The Curzin Storytellers

Focused on sorceries and enchantments, the Storytellers are writers and masters of drama that specialize on captivating the imagination of all. The stories they weave are said to be their own pocket planes the Curzin carry within their bags.

Tale of the Raging Giant (U)

Enchantment
Creatures you control get +1/+0.
Define (: This gains the card type of your choice until end of turn. If it becomes a creature this way, it is 2/2. Define only as a sorcery.)

Playwise, the Curzin Storytellers aim to have enough enchantments that distract the attention of their audience or inspire awe regarding the storytellers. Tale of the Raging Giant makes your own creatures feel more threatening. Curzin sorceries work to set up their static-ability enchantments or use said enchantments to do things:

First Page (C)

Sorcery
Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal an enchantment or sorcery card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Final Act (R)

Sorcery
Final Act deals 2 damage to target opponent for each enchantment you control. That player sacrifices permanents equal to the damage dealt this way.

The two troupes below aren't very well defined yet, but here is a quick summary of where I want them to go and a basic idea of what their mechanical identity can be.

The Munid Chain

Focused on instants and artifacts, the basic idea is that they are focused on culinary. I'm not sure of how to represent that with the card types chosen, but the idea is that the artifacts are the dishes and the instants are ingredients.

The Onlend Gardens

Focused on instants and enchantments, this is focused on instants and enchantments that trigger whenever instants are played. The idea is that they are the growth of the wonders cultivated by the Onlend and the adaptation of their gardens to it. But this isn't set on stone yet.

Discuss.
I really like this, the whole concept seems incredibly awesome. I'm not yet sold on define, but the whole art thing and card types matter is great. To be honest, I would have been sold with just the circus bits, as I love the thematic imagery of circuses and would support a block based all around them if I could.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
I thought about a circus-based troupe, but I felt it would be too similar to RtR Rakdos.
I thought about a circus-based troupe, but I felt it would be too similar to RtR Rakdos.

Not if they're illusionists!

immortalize is genius

192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I really want to look closer at the cards, but I'm hung up on trying to figure out the pattern of the five groups.  Instants and sorceries both get represented three times?  Creatures and lands don't show up at all?  And they seem to be divided in arbitrary ways by color....  I'm not sure what to think.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
For some reason, I feel Immotalize should somehow be able to turn Akroma into Akroma's Memorial.
This is the best set ever.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

immortalize is genius

All of the cards are genius. Except i'm also a bit reserved about Define. 

(Do we really want instants and sorceries on the battlefield now?)

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
oh please do flash enchantments for I love them.

Final Act felt a little too strong. If you build around it, it will be 6 mana=game. And very tough to sideboard against... I can't see people playing tranquility lol
In general, i think, when dealing with variables, you want to cost it basing it by starting at 3. Which means there are 6 permanents going for 6 mana... no?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sign In to post comments