EDH Commander question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there,

When I cast my commander and in the process of game play had returned him to the commander zone, the new casting cost to recast the commander is 2 more plus the mana casting cost. Now, when I cast the commander again and my opp casts a spell that puts my commander in my hand, when I recast my commander from my hand, is it just for the mana cost of the card or does the 2 from the commander zone still count as part of the casting cost? Or because the commander was sent to my hand does the commander zone reset with zero?
the "commander tax" only applies when casting from the command zone, and it will only count the times you cast it from the command zone

so if you cast it once from the command zone and 3 times from your hand, the "commander tax" is only when you cast it next time from the command zone
proud member of the 2011 community team
As a side note, the 'commander tax' is an additional cost, so that can be reduced by spells or abilities of permanents.
Hello there,

When I cast my commander and in the process of game play had returned him to the commander zone, the new casting cost to recast the commander is 2 more plus the mana casting cost. Now, when I cast the commander again and my opp casts a spell that puts my commander in my hand, when I recast my commander from my hand, is it just for the mana cost of the card or does the 2 from the commander zone still count as part of the casting cost? Or because the commander was sent to my hand does the commander zone reset with zero?

The "commander tax" is not reset when your commander goes to your hand.  If you cast your commander from the command zone later on, the tax will still apply.  You may cast your commander from your hand for its normal cost without the tax.

_Magic: The Gathering_ Comprehensive Rules

These rules are effective as of October 1, 2012.

903.10. A player may cast a commander he or she owns from the command zone. Doing so costs that player an additional {2} for each previous time he or she cast that commander from the command zone that game.