Izzet Gizmometry/Ingenuity Combo Deck

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've just gotten into the game and I've been playing with a friends' cards for the most part. I just picked up both the new and old Izzet decks and was hoping to take the best parts of each and merge them into one deck. Also got a couple boosters and have some potential Izzet cards to go in them. I'm not really sure what makes a good deck or not and am more than willing to accept general tips and guidelines. These are the cards I have available:

Izzet Gizmometry
12x Island
10x Mountain
2x Izzet Boilerworks
1x Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind
-----------------------------
25 Lands

1x Gelectrode
2x Wee Dragonauts
1x Tibor and Lumia 
2x Izzet Chronarch 
1x Izzet Guildmage 
2x Petrahydrox
9 Creatures

1x Mark of Eviction 
2x Peel from Reality 
2x Telling Time 
3x Train of Thought 
2x Convolute 
2x Runeboggle 
2x Thunderheads
1x Vacuumelt
2x Frazzle 
2x Repeal 
3x Pyromatics 
1x Rain of Embers 
1x Reroute 
1x Leyline of Lightning 
1x Electrolyze 
26 Other spells

Izzet Ingenuity
12x Island
12x Mountain 
1x Izzet Guildgate 
25 Lands

2x Blistercoil Weird
3x Cobblebrute
2x Goblin Electromancer 
2x Gutternsipe 
1x Hypersonic Dragon 
1x Nivix Guildmage 
3x Runewing 
1x Tenement Crasher 
1x Welkin Tern 
16 Creatures

2x Annihilating Fire 
1x Blustersquall 
1x Chandra's Fury 
1x Downsize 
2x Electrickery 
1x Explosive Impact 
2x Goblin Rally 
2x Izzet Keyrune 
2x Krenko's Command 
1x Mizzium Mortars 
1x Pursuit of Flight 
1x Teleportal 
1x Thoughtflare 
1x Wild Guess 
19 Other spells

The Izzet-compatible (basically any R/U) cards from my booster packs are:
1x Paralyzing Grasp
1x Frostburn Weird 
1x Runewing 
1x Essence Backlash 
1x Electrickery 
1x Izzet Guildgate
1x Codex Shredder
1x Island

So those are basically what I have to work with. I'm not opposed to suggestions for cards to keep an eye out for but I'd like to make a deck out of these cards. 
ok i am a bit tired, and not the best at deck building though i have made some decent ones.
The first thing you need to decide is what you want the deck to do. how will you possibly win with the deck.
Some cards that might be good for wining that i see on your list are
Gelectrode
Gutternsipe 
Blistercoil Weird
Wee Dragonauts
Tibor and Lumia 
those all either get a boost from the spells you play or deal damage to the play  directly. (I prefer the first two my self. The firstone can target creature or player, and the second effects all opponents which is really good and bad in a multiplayer game.)
the guildmages are both good because you can copy the spells you cast for a price.
Goblin Electromancer 
is really good because his ability also effects the cost of the overload of spells which helps you effect the entire board and hexproof creatures easier.
Hypersonic Dragon 
is good becvause it lets you cast soceries as if they were instants, very useful and he is a meaty creature. Though he is 5 mana to get out. so you may not want to run tomany of him.

after getting the creatures of your deck you then should look at the spells that you want to run. probably a mixture of burn control and deck manipulatoin, or you could focus more on one that the others. but look at the spells and think how could this help me in a game. personally i really like the spell Electrolyze who doesn't like dealing damage and getting a card for your trouble.

one final point which i still have trouble with is the mana base and figuring out the best amount of mana for the deck. Though I do suggest plenty of mana fixes, I.E. duel lands and or key runes.
I wish you the best on making your deck.
Alright so I sat down last night and put the deck together before reading your post and I like that what I made is pretty close to what you suggested. The basic goal of the deck is damage with instants and sorceries while also pumping my Blistercoils and Dragonauts. Also using the Guttersnipes and Gelectrode for suplemental damage. I tried to get creatures that had abilities or effects that dealt primarily with instants and sorceries and a little card drawing. The majority of my other spells are burn spells and I was wondering if more control would be better or if I should stick with the burn theme. If so, I've also been wondering if I should get rid of the token and control spells in favor of more burn, of which I have several. The burn spells in here are mostly light that can be spread around but I have some that are heavy with single targets that I could swap in. This is what I put together, but I'm open to suggestions for swapping cards in that I didn't use from the above list. 

1x Runewing
2x Guttersnipe 
2x Blistercoil Weird 
1x Hypersonic Dragon 
2x Wee Dragonauts
1x Gelectrode
1x Nivix Guildmage 
1x Izzet Guildmage 
2x Izzet Chronarch 
2x Goblin Electromancer 
-----------------------
15 Creatures

2x Krenko's Command 
1x Pursuit of Flight 
3x Pyromatics 
1x Mizzium Mortars 
1x Chandra's Fury 
3x Electrickery 
1x Leyline of Lightning 
1x Telling Time 
1x Downsize 
1x Blustersquall 
1x Peel from Reality 
1x Vacuumelt 
1x Teleportal 
1x Essence Backlash 
1x Electrolyze 
----------------------
20 Other spells

8x Island 
12x Mountain 
2x Izzet Boilerworks 
2x Izzet Guildgate 
1x Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind 
--------------------
25 Lands

I'm also a little concerned with mana balance, I'm not sure how to do it. I have 6 blue cards and 14 red cards along with 15 multicolored. I have two Keyrunes I could put in but I'm not sure if those should replace lands or creatures.
Got a couple booster packs with the new selesnya deck and made some modifications, this is the deck so far:

2x Guttersnipe
2x Goblin Electromancer 
1x Nivix Guildmage 
2x Wee Dragonauts 
2x Blistercoil Weird
2x Izzet Chronarch
1x Gelectrode 
1x Hypersonic Dragon 
1x Izzet Guildmage 
1x Mercurial Chemister 
--------------------------
15 Creatures

1x Dynacharge 
3x Pyromatics
1x Pursuit of Flight 
3x Electrickery
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Krenko's Command
1x Chandra's Fury
1x Leyline of Lightning
1x Teleportal
1x Electrolyze
1x Essence Backlash
1x Mizzium Skin 
1x Blustersquall
1x Telling Time 
1x Downsize 
------------------------
20 Other Spells

13x Mountain 
7x Island 
2x Izzet Boilerworks 
2x Izzet Guildgate 
1x Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind 
---------------------------
25 Lands
Psychic Spiral makes a good Goblin Electromancer target; it will let you refuel for Blistercoil Weird's ability. Thoughtflare is also worth a look as an Electromancer target.
Sign In to post comments