Gloves of the Healer (et.al.) w/ powers that allow use of Second Wind

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for an interpretation here.  Gloves of the Healer and Healer's Armor (and other similar items) have a property that when you use a power that allows an ally to spend a healing surge to regain hit points you grant a bonus to that.  1d6 extra hp gain from Gloves of the Healer / Enhancement Bonus added to healing with Healer's Armor.

If I use a power that allows an ally to use their second wind, then does the property from the item activate?  I'm allowing them to use second wind and a healing surge by proxy. 
No.
To be more precise:

1. Second wind isn't actually a power (although I wouldn't be surprised if the Character Builder makes a power card for it).  It's an action that lets you spend a healing surge and gain +2 to all defenses.  In fact, an errata had to be released to update the Dwarf's racial power in light of the fact that a variety of in-rules options allow you to recover second wind multiple times over an encounter.

2. Gloves of the Healer and the like applies to powers that let the target spend a healing surge.  A power that triggers second wind is not a power that lets the target spend a healing surge; it is a power that triggers an action that lets you spend a healing surge (all powers involve actions -- even No Actions -- but not all actions are powers).

3. Rules-as-written, even if Second Wind was a power, it takes a rather convoluted reading to allow the Gloves of the Healer and the like to allow a power that activates a power that lets you spend a healing surge to transfer the benefits of the items down the line.  That said, the DM does have the final say on the matter, so if he's fine with it, then that's that.
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Sign In to post comments