The percentile chance of finding a magic item is too high...

Note that, insofar as I can tell, "common" magic items only include potions and scrolls so far (and only very few of them at that) and any given rarity of item can be swapped out for a small set of consumables.

Average encounter still has a ~30% for 1+ uncommon, though, which I guess could still be considered too much.  I'm okay with it, though. 
Note that, insofar as I can tell, "common" magic items only include potions and scrolls so far (and only very few of them at that) and any given rarity of item can be swapped out for a small set of consumables.

Average encounter still has a ~30% for 1+ uncommon, though, which I guess could still be considered too much.  I'm okay with it, though. 

Um... hate to say, but knocking it without providing a solution is a bit silly.  What makes you say it is "too high"?  What percentile would you like to see?
Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.
Um... hate to say, but knocking it without providing a solution is a bit silly.  What makes you say it is "too high"?  What percentile would you like to see?

I assume you meant to quote the OP rather than me.

I assume you meant to quote the OP rather than me.

Yes, I did.  I meant to reply to yours in a meaningful way, but then I spilled my soda, and forgot what I was doing.

My original reply to you:  I think having around 20% chance for finding an uncommon with any average encounter is decent.  Figure 8-10 encounters to a level (that I'm used to, not sure if the math works out that way in 5e), and they will get 1 uncommon item, maybe two if they were lucky.

Rares I'd like to see about a 3-5% chance.
Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.
Yes, I did.  I meant to reply to yours in a meaningful way, but then I spilled my soda, and forgot what I was doing.

My original reply to you:  I think having around 20% chance for finding an uncommon with any average encounter is decent.  Figure 8-10 encounters to a level (that I'm used to, not sure if the math works out that way in 5e), and they will get 1 uncommon item, maybe two if they were lucky.

Rares I'd like to see about a 3-5% chance.

Yeah, I like that math too.  Especially if you consider, in a 5 PC party, that only one or two of them graduate the level with a cool item, and that seems about right.  Even a bit on the low side for my preference.

The percentages are not too high.

They are just for a high magic campaign setting.

We need one for a low magic campaign setting as well.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

They are clearly and obviously too high.

They are also easily ignored.

Carl
 I feel that it is too high as well and easily altered. A solution is simple. Change the tables. roll a percentile before you roll on their chart. I like the idea of producing a single low-magic/high-magic table. Doesn't take a lot of real estate and might be really useful for many of us.

For example, if you want half as many items, then roll percentile and only get items when you roll 1-50.

I liked the days when my 9th level characters had maybe two items to their names. That was plenty. The items had significant meaning.

I didn't like the days when my 20th level character "HAD" to have magical items to even compete or live.

Personal preference. I feel that in a setting/rules system in which magic items aren't required to survive that the rates may be a little high. I haven't given it a full play test with thousands of rolls, but I've been reading percentages for several decades now. I did however, give it a few dozen rolls as well just to get the feel. It really is too high for my tastes. 
Currently running a playtest, weekly, online D&D Next Session using a virtual table system called roll20.
I agree with the OP for a "average magic setting", having a 50% of a magic item each encounter seems too much if magic items are going to be feel more special.

If the intention is to have a 50% of a potion or a scroll, that's fine I think, but that needs to be mentioned in the text.

A also agree with the other poster than suggested tables for high- and low-magic settings.