Need help with Shifter Homes

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I am running a homebrew campaign. One of my players is a Shifter Warden. His back story is he is from a clan of shifters that are located in a great forest. He left home met up with the other players, and got involved in the main story arc. 

During the arc the group is sent back into the forest that the shifter is from. Now he has been gone for some time. Upon their arrival to the forest they ran into two shifters from his clan.

They Learn that Bullywugs have been advancing from the near by swamp and are now warring with the Shifters.

The problem that I am running into is I am not sure how to describe the settlement that the shifters live in. Only information I can find on this sort of thing  is that they are nomadic.

So what kind of Dwellings would they have. Just Tents? Or some sort of  Collapsable  wooden homes? Caves? Or could it just be a permanent structure, and just make them not nomadic?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for your time. 
Try this... Ask the player of the shifter: "Shifters of the Great Forest are nomadic by nature. What sort of dwellings do they have?" Follow it up with other questions to flesh out details the players give you. Then be sure to use those details in an interesting way.

This way, you can be sure to use something the players are interested in seeing put into actual play.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Try this... Ask the player of the shifter: "Shifters of the Great Forest are nomadic by nature. What sort of dwellings do they have?" Follow it up with other questions to flesh out details the players give you. Then be sure to use those details in an interesting way.

This way, you can be sure to use something the players are interested in seeing put into actual play.

Bring the whole table in on it, with the shifter player having some veto power (and the encouragement to use a light hand with it).

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

I think that's a good way of going about it.  Now, admittedly, it wouldn't be my first instinct as a DM.

My first instinct would be to put together a backstory of where these Shifters have come from, what areas they've travelled through, and decide what sort of flavor I'd want them to have.

The flavor's important, and I might even recommend adding it as an idea for your group's discussion.  Are they nomads similar to the Mongol sense, or the Bedouin? Or do they feel more Lakota, or are they much more primitive, more like Neaderthal?

Hope you and your group come up with something memorable!