DC: Hunted Wumpus

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays random card is...

Hunted Wumpus

I have to admit, I would love if they reprinted this card.  I mean creatures have just gotten so much better since this guy was printed that I think it would be really funny to see what the opponent would play for free.

Discuss! 
Great way to bait big fatties into play.  If you got a plan, fun card.  I had this one friend who loved this 
guy and every time he'd play it no one would have anything worth a damn in their hands.  A turn two 6/6 is not bad.

I prefer the Masks art. 
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I'm not even sure if I'd want a vanilla 6/6 for these days. Sad, ain't it?
I recall in a draft on MTGO A guy played it against me. I looked at my hand, considered my options, and dropped a Shivan Dragon on the board. Then on my next turn I Nekrataal'd the Wumpus.

He didn't like that.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Cast gather specimens first, then dare them to play something.

Playable in , but not in any other color combination. Yeah, you've got a fatty? Bring it out. Oops.

@Sleeping:
Ghoultree can make any vanilla green guy look sad, I'm afraid. Also, Khalni Hydra. You could say they have an "affinity" for obsoleting things.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Playable in , but not in any other color combination. Yeah, you've got a fatty? Bring it out. Oops.

@Sleeping:
Ghoultree can make any vanilla green guy look sad, I'm afraid. Also, Khalni Hydra. You could say they have an "affinity" for obsoleting things.

Mind Control decks like it too, it curves out nicely.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
With hand peeking, a timed one can be dropped to minimize the opponent dropping anything big.

U in general can steal the opponent's creature.

Wait one more mana and the player could play Deus of Calamity instead.

The 6 Power does work with a number of 5+ support.

Drop this creature after Mighty Emergence and you'll have an 8/8.

Pretty much, it can work in a Naya build.
Cast gather specimens first, then dare them to play something.

and 2 cards for a 6/6 seems a little overcosted.

Level 1 Judge

Oh, I know! Smite the Monstrous! Not as elegant as Murder, or as cheap, but if you're not playing black...
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Too bad it wasn't from the the really early days and the card type could have been Summon Wumpus, which would have been reason enought to play it.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I like shivan wumpus better, especialy the flavor text, though it could work in , as said before, for removal and hand control.
I like shivan wumpus better, especialy the flavor text, though it could work in , as said before, for removal and hand control.

Is the theme of Wumpuses just to give your opponent options that cause you to lose or something?

Is the theme of Wumpuses just to give your opponent options that cause you to lose or something?

Well, Shivan was from Argothian Wurm. But sacrificing a land is a huge deal.

The Masques block had a huge political theme.

Wishmonger, Sailmonger, Scandalmonger, Warmonger, Squallmonger: Each of these cards gives everyone an ability.

Charmed Griffin, Indentured Djinn, Enslaved Horror, Hired Giant, Hunted Wumpus: Each of these cards gives your opponents tempo, if not outright card advantage.

Saproling Cluster: A spellshaper enchantment anyone can play.

Prophecy's full of creatures that can lose abilities for a certain amount of mana, and also triggered abilities, activated abilities, and spells with a rhystic. Hell, it named the mechanic.

The other big theme of the block was hidden zones, hence spellshapers, rebels, and the first Squadron Hawk cards (in green).
139359831 wrote:

Well, Shivan was from Argothian Wurm. But sacrificing a land is a huge deal.

It's only decent in a land destruction deck. Paying four mana and skipping your draw step is not worth causing your opponent to sacrifice a land. And if they can just deal with the creature they might let it resolve. Giving your opponent a choice makes it even worse, in a land destruction deck though both options become a little worse for your opponent.

Wishmonger, Sailmonger, Scandalmonger, Warmonger, Squallmonger: Each of these cards gives everyone an ability.

Those are interesting, but I dislike Warmonger and Squallmonger.

Charmed Griffin, Indentured Djinn, Enslaved Horror, Hired Giant, Hunted Wumpus: Each of these cards gives your opponents tempo, if not outright card advantage.

I knew about all of these cards, but I didn't realize they were all part of a cycle in Masques (figures, creatures in Masques are awful). Djinn, Giant, and Wumpus are absolutely terrible, but the other two aren't the worst.

Saproling Cluster: A spellshaper enchantment anyone can play.

Pretty good as a discard outlet. Combos fairly well with Dread Return actually.

Prophecy's full of creatures that can lose abilities for a certain amount of mana, and also triggered abilities, activated abilities, and spells with a rhystic. Hell, it named the mechanic.

The good one was printed in Time Spiral though.

The other big theme of the block was hidden zones, hence spellshapers, rebels, and the first Squadron Hawk cards (in green).

Yeah, those were all alright. Well I liked Howling Wolf and Nesting Wurm. My favorite was printed in Coldsnap though.
It's only decent in a land destruction deck. Paying four mana and skipping your draw step is not worth causing your opponent to sacrifice a land. And if they can just deal with the creature they might let it resolve. Giving your opponent a choice makes it even worse, in a land destruction deck though both options become a little worse for your opponent.

It's part of the punishing mechanic. But most of the time it bleeds in one way. (Obviously, Painful Quandary doesn't, but most do.)

Those are interesting, but I dislike Warmonger and Squallmonger.

I wondered what they were thinking with Scandalmonger and Yawgmoth's Bargain together. But I wondered what they were thinking printing Yawgmoth's Bargain. I liked Wishmonger and Warmonger, but Squallmonger, while arguably one of the better ones, I generally don't like Hurricane for mechanical reasons. Sailmonger's funny because it reminds me of the "guys are sneaky/guys are panicked" dilemma. Creatures are unblockable has the exact same mechanical meaning as creatures cannot block.

I knew about all of these cards, but I didn't realize they were all part of a cycle in Masques (figures, creatures in Masques are awful). Djinn, Giant, and Wumpus are absolutely terrible, but the other two aren't the worst.

Spellshapers and rebels were cool (except you, Kris Mage). Little else. Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero is quite broken.
139359831 wrote:
Sign In to post comments