Have rats, will travel...(but I'm lost)

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

Okay, I've got four copies of Pack Rat and want to get a deck that features it together for Game Day in a few weeks.  I've got my eye on a discard themed rat deck but I'm worried that it just doesn't have enough umph to get me very far.

Creatures:
4 Typhoid Rats
4 Drainpipe Vermin
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Pack Rat

Spells:
4 Duress
4 Sign in Blood

Planeswalker:
4 Liliana of the Veil

That's what I have so far.  I'm not sure if I should splash another color to get access to the new rare kill spells, and I'm not sure what to do to prevent seeing my board vanish under a barrage of Electrickery.  Any advice would be awesome as I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm going down the wrong path with this.  I remember someone around here was toying with a Pack Rat deck earlier, but for the life of me I cannot find that old thread.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

You know what would be cool? Naming this deck....

Rat of God. 
Only if I can get it to win.  I've also been considering adding in the new Rack known as Shrieking Affliction.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I'm building a Pack Rat deck too. Though I don't have 4 Pack Rats yet. Its not finished yet but this is what I'm going with.

Pack rat - Obviously 4-of!!
Typhoid Rats
Drainpipe Vermin - not sure if Black Cat might be better if less flavourful?
Ravenous Rats
Sign in Blood - going to be discarding quite a bit to Pack Rat so need the draw!
Cavern of Souls - always naming rats.
Duress
Mind Rot
Night Terrors
Appetite for Brains
Tragic Slip
Murder
Mutilate
Shrieking Affliction - lots of hand disruption to turn this on!
Altar's Reap

If I splash White I can take Rootborn Defenses, Safe Passage and Vault of the Archangel

As I said I don't have firm numbers yet but once I've made my 60. I'll post the list for critique and refinement!!
Definitely do Shrieking Affliction but also consider Liliana of the Dark Realms. She gets you the lands to power Pack Rat and you can use her ultimate to some actual effectiveness. Mind Rot, Murder and Ultimate Price are other options to consider.

edit: I'm late. Those cards listed above are good options, though. I agree with splashing white, even if ony for the Vault of the Archangel. A horde of large deathtouch/lifelink rats is pretty damn effective. I, personally, would stay away from Alter's Reap and Mutilate just from experience. Mutilate is a ridiculously good card and can be effective if you can ensure your own rats won't blow up, too. Consider a couple, but use sparingly. Altar's Reap is just really underwhelming, plus it has the draw back of making your Pack Rat smaller, even if just by 1.

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20795.jpg)

I also own four Disciple of Bolas, which I think may work well with my big rat tokens.

Asy1umRat (best rat-y name for this thread):
I'm not too sold on Dark Realms, Lil', maybe if there was a big Consume Spirit spell to aim for... Liliana of the Veil might be a better option for the discard effect.

But here's my list. It feels really small for 60 cards, I guess so much of my deck is geared to making  Shrieking Affliction work, I haven't been able to squeze in the ammount of Kill Spells I want.

Rat Suite:
4x Typhoid Rat
4x Drainpipe Vermin
4x Pack Rat
4x Ravenous Rat

Discard:
4x Shrieking Affliction
4x Duress
3x Night Terrors
3x Mind Rot

Kill:
3x Tragic Slip
2x Mutilate

Draw:
3x Altar's Reap
4x Sign in Blood

Land:
4x Cavern of Souls
14x Swamp

Like I said, I couldn't fit much in. What could I take out to make room to splash white, or even for a Murder or two?
Time to test this and start tweaking.
So, yeah, Pack Rat doesn't need other rats... Just Pack Rat. I've been wanting to play a deck similar to this, but I'm not brave enough:

4 Pack Rat
4 Invisible Stalker

4 Runechanter's Pike

4 Faith's Shield
4 Divination
2 Sphinxes' Revelation
2 Amass the Components
1 Inspiration
1 Thoughtflare
4 Thought Scour
2 Underworld Connections 
1 Epic Experiment

3 Jace, Architect of Thought

4 Blood Crypt
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Steam Vents
7 Swamp
2 Island
2 Plains

(at)MrEnglish22

Asy1umRat (best rat-y name for this thread):
I'm not too sold on Dark Realms, Lil', maybe if there was a big Consume Spirit spell to aim for... Liliana of the Veil might be a better option for the discard effect.

But here's my list. It feels really small for 60 cards, I guess so much of my deck is geared to making  Shrieking Affliction work, I haven't been able to squeze in the ammount of Kill Spells I want.

Rat Suite:
4x Typhoid Rat
4x Drainpipe Vermin
4x Pack Rat
4x Ravenous Rat

Discard:
4x Shrieking Affliction
4x Duress
3x Night Terrors
3x Mind Rot

Kill:
3x Tragic Slip
2x Mutilate

Draw:
3x Altar's Reap
4x Sign in Blood

Land:
4x Cavern of Souls
14x Swamp

Like I said, I couldn't fit much in. What could I take out to make room to splash white, or even for a Murder or two?
Time to test this and start tweaking.

do you A) Find yourself emptying your hand too quickly, or B) not having the appropriate answers? I think you could drop the Altar's Reaps and make Night Terrors, Mind Rot, and Tragic Slip 4-of's. I also don't think you need 4 Cavern of Souls. 2 should be enough. Also, do you find 18 lands being enough?

What about Stab Wound to help hurry the damage over time you are getting with Affliction?
What about Stab Wound to help hurry the damage over time you are getting with Affliction?

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

do you A) Find yourself emptying your hand too quickly, or B) not having the appropriate answers? I think you could drop the Altar's Reaps and make Night Terrors, Mind Rot, and Tragic Slip 4-of's. I also don't think you need 4 Cavern of Souls. 2 should be enough. Also, do you find 18 lands being enough?

After reading your 1st post again, I have dropped the 'Altar's' for 1 Murder and 2 Swamps, bringing me to 20 land, I think I could do with more land still, 22 might be more consistent. Im still not sure how to squeze it all in though, so i've been considering a sideboard. Cremate against Snapcaster and other Flashback decks, 2 more Murder, Appetite for Brains against Control/Board Wipes (they usualy cost 4).

After reading your 1st post again, I have dropped the 'Altar's' for 1 Murder and 2 Swamps, bringing me to 20 land, I think I could do with more land still, 22 might be more consistent. Im still not sure how to squeze it all in though, so i've been considering a sideboard. Cremate against Snapcaster and other Flashback decks, 2 more Murder, Appetite for Brains against Control/Board Wipes (they usualy cost 4).

Cremate is a good option, I feel, since youre discarding to power Pack Rat anyway, plus the graveyard hate against opponents. I had forgotten about Appetite for Brains and agree it would be a good sideboard option. More Murder is always good (lol), but you can also look at Ultimate Price depending on what creatures they're playing (less gold/duel colors), its a good card to replace with. 

The way that pack rat is going to win is by getting many pack rats fast. I think cards like Shrieking Affliction , Stab Wound , or Altar's Reap will slow  you down. It's going to cost 3 mana a turn to get another pack rat so you are not going to be able to play much for awhile if you want to base it off that. Also, Mutilate will be bad as it kills your own creatures. I think you are right with going with Murder or Ultimate Price for control.
The way that pack rat is going to win is by getting many pack rats fast. I think cards like Shrieking Affliction , Stab Wound , or Altar's Reap will slow  you down. It's going to cost 3 mana a turn to get another pack rat so you are not going to be able to play much for awhile if you want to base it off that. Also, Mutilate will be bad as it kills your own creatures. I think you are right with going with Murder or Ultimate Price for control.

I think the 'Affliction is a good alternate win condition. With the discard effects of the other rats and stuff like Mind Rot it seems like a plan.
What would you suggest to make the Pack Rat himself more consistent, I thought maybe Increasing Ambition. You could tutor up the Pack Rat or, if you have the Rat in hand it's good fuel to Pack Rats ability. This led me on to other Flashback spells to lessen the blow of Pack Rat.

Bump in the Night - throw in some Dragonskull Summits for the Flashback.
Cackling Counterpart - the Blue investment might be too heavy but copying Pack Rat is what we want...
Sever the Bloodline - might sit in the Sideboard for Populate matchups. Heck, it would destroy Pack Rat.dec
Fires of Undeath - again, cheap red splash to work.

I might be able to get some good hours of playing in today, with the list I posted before, so I'll report back in a while!! 
Okay, after compiling some ideas, here's what I have so far:

Creatures:
4 Drainpipe Vermin
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Pack Rat
1 Disciple of Bolas

Spells:
4 Tragic Slip
4 Shrieking Affliction
4 Duress
4 Sign in Blood
4 Stab Wound
4 Mind Rot

Planeswalkers:
3 Liliana of the Veil

Land:
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Vault of the Archangel
4 Isolated Chaple
12 Swamp

Side:
4 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Cremate
4 Human Frailty
Some other cards....

AzureShade: How are the Liliana's working out for you? and the Stab Wounds? Lili's quite an expensive addition for me, but I might consider getting some if I start playing this @FNM.

I got one game today and even though my Discard suite didn't go off, I played an early 'Affliction so my opponent was conscious of cards in hand, and held back on playing them all out. My Pack Rats got to 6/6 (2 PR's, 2 Token PR's and 2 other rats). EDIT: I did win the game!! haha. >

I would really like to move into White for Vault of the Archangel and Rootborn Defenses.
They are working out well enough.  Pre-Stab Wound they are basically a kill spell, and once I start getting into top-deck mode and ditching cards to the Pack Rats, they work fine as recurring discard fodder that my opponent has to commit resources against.

So, yeah, Pack Rat doesn't need other rats... Just Pack Rat.

I 100% agree. People think that just because his power is the number of rats means that they should stuff it with some of the lack luster rats in standard. Ravenous Rats is decent, until they discard a Loxodon Smiter and you are screwed unless you have some removal. Pack Rat by himself seems just fine. I made a BG Pack Rat deck based around Pack Rat and Deathrite Shaman, just to get full value out of everything that I discard. Trying to make your opponent discard right now is sort of hard to do well because Mind Rot isn't all that great. However, using cards like Appetite for Brains and Duress are very effective because they Exile, or discard a spell/planeswalker that you don't want to deal with. (Plus they are very mana effecient!
I will note that I am certainly not nullifying anyone else's ideas for Pack Rat, but BG gives you added advantage for potential life gain (if needed), or your opponent losing life (which will add up). So it makes them kind of choose what they want to deal with, and while they do that Pack Rat will be a menace.

This is what I am doing with it:

4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Pack Rat
3 Slitherhead
4 Dreg Mangler

2 Appetite for Brains
3 Tragic Slip
2 Duress
4 Mulch
4 Grisly Salvage
4 Druid's Deliverance
2 Ultimate Price

3 Woodland Cemetery
2 Overgrown Tomb
3 Golgari Guildgate (Due to lack of other duals)
7 Forest
9 Swamp
I definitely support dual colors. Whether it be W or G, need to add Growing Ranks and sideboard Sundering Growth .
Walks into thread see people planning Rats deck an thinks to self wonder how long it will take before the Rakdos Aggro Crowd, and The Pat Rack crowd join together and build a very aggressive Rakdos Rats deck that becomes a very strong Tier 2 deck.... then decides not to wait an goes back to his pile of cards to see if he can come up with that list! 
Hurry up and post that list here. 

To quench your thirst for lists I'll post my revised list!! with a little influence from you AzureShade, Isolated Chaples and Vaults.

Playtested this version this evening, won two games mostly on the afflictions. If I fill out the remaining proxies (2x Pack Rats) then I'll try it at FNM and see how it does. Oh and build a sideboard. 
My comments still stand: Add Growing Ranks . Take out mutilates as they may kill your own creatures. If you splash white, there are better board whipes: Sudden Disappearance
To quench your thirst for lists I'll post my revised list!! with a little influence from you AzureShade, Isolated Chaples and Vaults.

Playtested this version this evening, won two games mostly on the afflictions. If I fill out the remaining proxies (2x Pack Rats) then I'll try it at FNM and see how it does. Oh and build a sideboard. 

How did Liliana of the Dark Realms work out? Also, I agree on losing the Mutilates. Without something like Lashwrithe to make your creatures huge, its probably going to be wiping your board as well. 

I haven't seen a Liliana of the Dark Realms in a game yet, I'd prefer Liliana of the Veil because I really like the hand disruption of the deck, and her -2 gets around hexproof. But I can't see me getting Veil Lil' anytime soon.

I can't see the problem with Mutilate, like any board wipe, you play it on your own terms. It bought me time for Shrieking Affliction to win me a game that I wouldn't have won by turning Rats sideways. I think Sudden Disappearance is garbage in comparison, 6 for a flicker effect? I don't really want an opponent to get all their 'enter the battlefield' effects again.

Mutilate is definitely a strong control card, I just don't see it being ass effective as it could be. Liliana of the Dark Realms second ability is like spot removal version (though it doesn't get around hexproof). I guess it really comes down to how fast you can ramp your rats/empty your opponent's hand. White does get access to Rest in Peace for sideboard options, but you can also do Tormod's Crypt in that case.

The Sideboard was what I wanted to explore next.
Main deck 1st. I'll drop a Mutilate and a Tragic Slip to fit 2 Rootborn Defenses, change a Swamp for a Plains, to make 5 white sources. I'll see if I can play a more Rat-centric game, let the discard play alongside the Rats, rather than be the driving force!

4  Pack Rat

3  Typhoid Rats
4  Drainpipe Vermin
4  Ravenous Rats
4  Duress
4  Shrieking Affliction
3  Mind Rot
4  Sign in Blood
2  Night Terrors
1  Mutilate
2  Tragic Slip
1  Murder
2  Rootborn Defenses
1  Liliana of the Dark Realms
2  Vault of the Archangel
2  Cavern of Souls
4  Isolated Chapel
12  Swamp
1  Plains

So my shaky, untested Sideboard.

3  Appetite for Brains
3  Murder
2  Mental Agony
3  Cremate
2  Safe Passage
1  Mutilate
1  Tragic Slip

Safe Passage until I get Rest in Peace, I like that against Graveyard decks. Cremate, as Asy1umRat said, it does double time as a cheap cantrip too. And Mutilate, of course cos' I can't let go of it! Haha.
If I were to run a rat deck, I would run this...I call it, The Junkyard. Junk colors, and keeps with the rat theme

Your three fatties give you a cards to be discarded to pack rat, while also having a possible reanimation strategy. As there isn't really a rat LORD, Mikaeus serves as a pseudo lord and keeps your rats around longer. It also gives you big bombs later on. I've gone with 22 land as 18-20 doesn't seem enough, even when the fatties are excluded. Lingering souls is another discard outlet in which you can pitch it to pack rat, and then flashback the next turn, if you need a blocker, in addition to giving you some evasion. The SB is sort of a mishmash of cards, and I'd probably cut Mind rot. Don't think populate will do well in this deck, but you could swap mind rot for a populate instant, as with the rat,souls, and thragtusk, it could actually put in some work. 

My 2 mana 
"My name is Cael and Sonat Hedo-Lina of Lorrd. You killed my father, prepare to die!"
Here is my Ratdos deck
Creatures:
Pack Rat x4
Drainpipe Vermin x4
Typhoid Rats x4
Ravenous rats x4
Rakdos,Lord of Riots
Rix Maadi Guildmage x3
Sewer Shambler x4(prefered discard for Pack rat )

OTHER STUFF:
Dreadbore x4
Rakdos Returns x2
Traitorous instinct x2
Stab Wound
Sign in Blood x3
Auger Spree x2
Searing Spear x4

LAND:
Blood Crypt x4
Dragonskull Summit x4
Swamp x7
Mountain x7

No sideboard yet. I need help with what needs to be in that.
Goal of the deck is obvious Rat Swarm
I went 4-2 at FNM with this(had rakdos caklers instead of shamblers tho)
only games I lost was against a really fast unleash deck and then I got mana flooded twice in a 2-1 loss to a zombie deck
So any suggestions? and yes I beat a "miracle" deck

The inclusion of Rakdos seems out of place.  Other than being a surprise punch to the face, he's a four mana 6/6 demon that doesn't do much for your low casting cost creatures and may not actually be playable if you can't get in for a least a little damage.  Desecration Demon would give you more bang for your buck if you really needed a four-drop demon in the first place.

Other than that, your removal suite is pretty solid, though hexproof creatures are going to laugh at you.  Then again, all your dead spells will just become discard fodder for Pack Rat so you can just laugh right back.  I like Brimstone Volley over Auger Spree.  It has a bit more reach and you can either use it in conjunction with a blocking rat to kill that extra big creature, or toss five damage right at your opponent's head.

Why does no one suggest Veilborn Ghoul
Not to play them but to have in hand to discard, then play swamp and discard again = lots of rats.

Or am I missing the point?

My Rat deck went 1-2@ last FNM so some changes are maybe in order.

Is the consensus now to go B/R and try to Aggro out? Rather than playing a more control based discard suite?
I think a B/W populate may work better, but I'd need to actually test more. My friend has a version that usues populate to great effect, so I'll see what his build is later. Veilborn Ghoul for discard is actually an interesting idea... I don't like the card under 99% of the places it does see use, but as a free discard its nice, though I'd only do it in mono black. I still will advocate Liliana of the Dark Realm for a Pack Rat deck. 

Is the consensus now to go B/R and try to Aggro out? Rather than playing a more control based discard suite?

I stand by my discard suite as it has been serving me rather well.  I haven't decided yet if splashing white for Vault of the Archangel is worth it yet, or if I want to try another color.

I stand by my discard suite as it has been serving me rather well.  I haven't decided yet if splashing white for Vault of the Archangel is worth it yet, or if I want to try another color.

I went White for the Vault too. Also it grants me access to a little Populate in Rootborn Defenses.

I'm not sure what I'd take from Red though.
Burn seems unnecessary as I have removal that even gets around Hexproof, Mutilate and Tribute to Hunger. I'm going to try 'Tribute in place of Murder in my deck.

I do like the idea of dark Mikaeus, so I might try fitting him in, but with BBB in his cost, it becomes harder to move into other colours... 
I threw this idea together quickly... its untested but I'm more interested to know what you think of the ideas (mail as a sac outlet, affliction and rebirth support discard effects, underworld as draw engine)

24 Swamp

4 Drainpipe Vermin
4 Black Cat
4 Pack Rat
4 Ravenous Rats

4 Shrieking Affliction
4 Vile Rebirth
4 Murder
4 Underworld Connections  
4 Demonmail Hauberk         
I'm not sure Demonmail Hauberk does any better than just putting your rats and cats into the red zone repeatedly as attackers or chump blockers. 

I'm just going to bump this up and see if there are any more suggestions to be made before Game Day this weekend.

Beware of loxodon smiter. You definitely need some sort of creature kill for that thing. It will be played in G/W/B decks.

I'm playing a Junk build that is attacking hands with discard spells and that card is an issue, dropping a rat turn 2 and seeing this across the board is rough indeed.

Randomly scavenge cards can give you added value out of a packrat discard. Lingering Souls works nice too since it can flash back for some blockers in the air.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
Rat Deck Design

Creatures:
x4 Pack Rat
x4 Black Cat
x4 Deathrite Shaman
x4 Drainpipe Vermin
x3 Descration Demon
x4 Ravenous Rats

Spells/Instants:
x4 Shrieking Affliction
x3 Sign in Blood
x2 Bone Splinters
x2 Altar's Reap
x3 Mind Rot
x3 Duress

Lands:
x4 Golgari Gate
x4 Forest
x12 Swamp

Side Deck: (except for maybe Lilianna, everything else is surely exhangeable)
x2 Lilianna of the Veil
x2 Stab Wound
x2 Golgari Decoy
x2 Pithing Needle
x2 Golgari Charm
x2 Vraska the Unseen
x3 Deadly Allure

I used a variation at last weeks FNM, ended up 2-2 with the problem being hexproof. I think I have it patched up now...but I will have to see. I just think the hand hate comes off really well, the low cost makes everything very playable and I havent had a problem getting mana up. Few combinations in it, and it works cohesively. Just figured I would share on what has worked pretty well for me