Mono Green Infect Help

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I'm building a casual play deck, which I play with my kids and in the local shop, so it gets around! I am not too concerned about budget. I am old enough and lack many other vices so the odd $40-$50 card is not out of the question. I try and teach the kids about each archetype and kill condition and this week's lesson is infect.

Here is my current build:

Land

Planeswalker
[Deck]
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
[/Deck]
Not sure if I even need these... maybe swap out for 2 more [Card]Harmonize[/Card]?

Sorcery
[Deck]
2 Harmonize
[/Deck]
Refills the hand.

Instant
[Deck]
1 Berserk
3 Titanic Growth
3 Might of Old Krosa
2 Primal Bellow
3 Might of Oaks
3 Mutagenic Growth
3 Predator's Strike
3 Unnatural Predation
3 Stonewood Invocation
[/Deck]
(I only have one [Card] Berserk [/Card] but intend to get more.)

Creature
[Deck]
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Glistener Elf
4 Blight Mamba
[/Deck] 

It seems to paint the opponent with poison pretty quickly with 3-4 turn kills pretty regularly. I have some [Card]Meekstone[/Card] but the deck knocks out a win pretty quickly so they seem to be wasted.

What could I add? 

Infect seems to be a bit of a rort, effectively your opponent starts with the equivalent of half their life with no draw back for the antagonist. Or have I missed something?

Gitaxian Probe is really useful in Infect. You want to know exactly what tools your opponent has so that you can play around them. It also allows you to make a smaller deck.

Four Invigorate and four Mutagenic Growth are a must if you're going for a fast kill. Free spells are good.

You should also be running four Rancor. It is recurrable and grants both trample and power.

Every green aggro infect deck I know also runs four Vines of Vastwood, it's bonus is superb and it's great for protecting your creatures.

Groundswell is probably the second best buff spell in the game. Some of those would be good.

A couple Seal of Strength or Llanowar Augur would be incredibly solid since you aren't garunteed a turn one play.

Also a good idea is to run some Crop Rotation with a Teetering Peaks and Sejiri Steppe in your deck, and maybe one or two other good utility lands. Having access to your choice of instant speed protection or buff is really solid.

I'd cut the Harmonize and Garruk Wildspeaker. Either infect goes off or it doesn't, it's kinda a combo deck. Those things will just weaken your plan, and if your plan fails they won't help you much because it will be too late in the game to do anything explosive. Corpse Cur would probably be better than those four drops anyway.

Everything Sleeping said is spot on. You don't need 4 Pendelhaven, that's way too many. Invigorate is a must. Rancor is a must. 4 Inkmoth Nexus is a must if you can afford it. Might of Oaks isn't good. Infect pump is about winning very quickly, if you don't win in the first 3 or 4 turns, you probably lost. So you don't need cards with high CMC. This is the type of deck that plays Glistener Elf on turn one, and if your opponent doesn't play a creature on their first turn, you should be swinging for 5 or 6 damage if not more with cards like Invigorate.

I'd also consider running Necropede over Blight Mamba.

Honestly, I'd strongly consider running Green/White infect, you get access to cards like Condemn,  Oust, and Swords To Plowshares that are essentially free remove. You also get Emerged Unscathed. With these spells you can practically guarentee that on turn two and three your opponent won't be blocking. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)

Blight Mamba is better than Necropede. Necropede's effect is pretty controlling. But with Mamba you can cast a spell like Invigorate safely while leaving two mana up.

You don't need to add white for removal, you could always play Dismember, though that might be taxing with the Probes and the Growths, but you should be killing your opponent quickly anyway. I don't think removing creatures is important though, protection and trample help you get in too. Plus keeping it mono green insures that you always have the right kind of mana. If anything I'd probably add black for an effect like Inquisition of Kozilek. However, then you're just playing more spells that aren't either infect guys or pump, which weakens your speed. The deck doesn't need much though. Any 1/1, +4/+4 buff spell, and Berserk will do it. So if you acquire a playset of Berserk then a couple Plunge into Darkness can insure that you get one in your hand. I'd probably just stick with green though, it will fall apart more easily but can generally go off faster. It also still has tricky tools like Vines of Vastwood, Crop Rotation, and Apostle's Blessing.

Oran-Rief Vastwood is why you play Garruk Wildspeaker.

Consider Splice in Twain and Plague Myr and Throne of Geth/Mycosynth Lattice, too.

The Wellsprings with the Throne are very effective too. 
Ace! Thanks for the advice. 

I have made some updates on cards I have:

Land

Instant
[Deck]
1 Berserk
3 Titanic Growth
3 Might of Old Krosa
4 Groundswell
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Predator's Strike
2 Unnatural Predation
3 Stonewood Invocation
2 Vines of Vastwood
2 Apostle's Blessing
[/Deck]

Creature
[Deck]
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Glistener Elf
4 Blight Mamba
[/Deck]  

So this is my shopping list:
[Deck]
2 Vines of Vastwood
4 Seal of Strength
4 Llanowar Augur
3 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Berserk
2 Apostle's Blessing
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Invigorate
4 Rancor
[/Deck]

You don't need four Seal of Strength and four Llanowar Augur. I'd only use two or three of one. I personally prefer Seal because it doesn't get destroyed by creature removal, you aren't forced to use it during your upkeep, and you can play it and use it right away. Some people like the trample Augur gives though.

You also don't need four Apostle's Blessing. All they do is protect, so they aren't the greatest to have multiples of in your hand.

Finally Gitaxian Probe, you can run four of these if you want, but it isn't necessary or anything. I'd run three, but four is fine if you really like the effect.

Though I'm sure those cards are fairly cheap, so I guess you can buy them just to test if you want. If you're adding Inkmoth Nexus then I highly recommend the Crop Rotation toolbox, a singleton Cathedral of War might be good too with that.

Wow, I got a turn two kill on a first to play!

Turn 1:
[Card]Forest[/Card]
[Card]Glistener Elf[/Card]

Opponent put out a [Card]Plain[/Card]

Turn 2:
[Card]Forest[/Card]
Main Phase, use two life and cast [Card]Mutagenic Growth[/Card].
Attack, [Card]Might of Old Krosa[/Card] and [Card]Groundswell[/Card]

11 Poison counters and game over. 

I am not really sure what my shopping list needs to be now... forgive my naivety but infect seems to be a hugely OP mechanic and its relatively cheap. (Ok, [Card]Berserk[/Card] isn't but this deck has ample power without it. That's not stopping me from getting 4 though;))
I really think Necropede is better, being able to control the board is a big deal and people are less likely to block Necropede anyways. You can pump all you want, but if you hit a creature with death touch, it's going to take another two turns to attack which is why I really do love white/green infect. Still though, this is looking better. Run 4 Inkmoth Nexus.

And yeah Taos_Jr, there are a lot of turn 2 wins. Here's another option

Turn One: Inkmoth Nexus

Opponent Turn One: Any one drop that doesn't fly or just a land

Turn 2: Forest, Invigorate, Might of Old Krosa, Mutagenic Growth. Attack and win.

It's unlikely but it will happen. Turn 3 wins are far more common. Inkmoth Nexus is so great because most people aren't putting out flying creatures in the first few turns. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)

Turn 2: Forest, Invigorate, Might of Old Krosa, Mutagenic Growth. Attack and win.

It's unlikely but it will happen. Turn 3 wins are far more common. Inkmoth Nexus is so great because most people aren't putting out flying creatures in the first few turns. 

That doesn't add up but you possibly meant 2 [Card]Invigorate[/Card]s for the win. And that is my concern with [Card]Inkmoth Nexus[/Card] you are always tapping a land to get it into the air and it only produces colourless. Happy to be corrected but I am tempted to lose the one I have altogether. Playing it soaks 1/2 to 1/3 my mana over the all important first to third turns when having a single green mana is more critical. Hmmm... not sure.

That doesn't add up but you possibly meant 2 [Card]Invigorate[/Card]s for the win. And that is my concern with [Card]Inkmoth Nexus[/Card] you are always tapping a land to get it into the air and it only produces colourless. Happy to be corrected but I am tempted to lose the one I have altogether. Playing it soaks 1/2 to 1/3 my mana over the all important first to third turns when having a single green mana is more critical. Hmmm... not sure.

It does add up. Invigorate is 4, Might of Old Krosa is 4, Mutagenic Growth is 2, Inkmoth is 1, swing for 11 on turn 2.

You are always tapping 1, but you are hitting in the air, and the deck doesn't need a lot of mana to run. Invigorate and Mutagenic Growth don't cost anything. Rancor costs 1. Once this deck has more than 3 or 4 lands, it can't even use them all. Inkmoth Nexus is so good because it always turns back into a land, so they can't even hit with with non instant creature removal. It's amazing, better than the elf and the elf is amazing.
Sorry, I meant the mana. Your [Card]Forest[/Card] is tapped for the [Card]Inkmoth Nexus[/Card] and therefore no mana left for the [Card]Might of Old Krosa[/Card]. 

But you have sold me on the [Card]Inkmoth Nexus[/Card], I will keep them on the shopping list. 
the one thing that I noticed is that you really aren't using a lot of creatures in the deck, and that in itself might hurt you. For infect I think that the following creatures are a must in an agro infect deck.

Corpse Cur : great for recursion
Glistener Elf : great first turn 
Ichorclaw myr : just as good as unblockable
Necropede : a good two for one 
Plague Myr : good for mana and infect

I also think that I the following spells should go in an infect deck 

Giant Growth : great 1 cmc pump
Titanic Growth : goes good on turn two
Mutagenic Growth : great for any time
Rancor : this will help push infect through
Wild Defiance : great for both offense and defense
Vines of Vastwood : great for pump and anti removal
Stonewood Invocation : Usually sideboard but great for stopping the stack

I would also think about cards for a sideboard in csase you run into the anti infect card like Spellskite and Melira, Sylvok Outcast

Melira, Sylvok Outcast : no one likes tree huggers blow her up
Naturalize : anti O-ring and artifact
Spellskite : I hate when he steals my rancor or insta pump, so steal it back