Epic Experiment Questions

22 posts / 0 new
Last post

1. If I cast Epic Experiment with X=2 and hit a Regrowth, will I be able to target the Epic Experiment with the Regrowth?

2. If I cast Epic Experiment with X=2 and hit a Twincast, will I be able to target the Epic Experiment with the twincast? If so, will the Twincast resolve and will Epic Experiment be copied?

57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
Epic Experiment

1) No. At the time you cast Regrowth, Epic Experiment is still resolving (and thus still on the stack), and won't be a legal target for Regrowth.

2) Yes, you can target Epic Experiment with Twincast because it's still on the stack. However, twincast will be countered when it tries to resolve because EE will be in your graveyard by then.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

1. No. You cast the spells during the resolution of Epic Experiment, and at that time, Epic Experiment is still on the stack, not in the graveyard.

2.  You can cast it (for the same reason you couldn't for the previous question), but by the time it resolves, its target will have gone to the graveyard, so it will not resolve.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I have a question please. Can I use Flames of the firebrand to finish off a 5/5 creature after it was blocked by my 2/2 creature?
I have a question please. Can I use Flames of the firebrand to finish off a 5/5 creature after it was blocked by my 2/2 creature?

This really should have gotten its own thread for visibility's sake.

If it is your turn and you are attacking...yes.
If it is your opponent's turn and he/she is attacking...no.

From gatherer:
You divide the damage as you cast Flames of the Firebrand, not as it resolves. Each target must be assigned at least 1 damage. (In other words, as you put the spell on the stack, you choose whether to have it deal 3 damage to a single target, 2 damage to one target and 1 damage to another target, or 1 damage to each of three targets.)

Just remember: flames of the firebrand is a sorcery and can only be cast during one of your main phases baring certain circumstances.

Editted for clarity, I tend to ramble...my appologies. :S

How to autocard: [c]gravecrawler[/c] = gravecrawler Find me on kingdomofloathing.com as Adamantois

No, not in the scenario you described. (Adamantois is mistaken. He missed that you weren't the active player or that the spell is a sorcery.)

Assuming the 5/5 actually took two damage from the 2/2 that blocked it, it would be a 5/5 with 2 damage marked on it until the cleanup step of that turn, at which point the damage is removed.

Since it's not your turn (since you were the blocker), you cannot cast [C]Flames of the Firebrand[/C] before the damage gets removed.

Alternate scenario #1:

If you had [C]Hypersonic Dragon[/C] or something similar in play, you could cast Flames of the Firebrand in your opponent's second main phase to finish off the 5/5.

Alternate scenario #2:

If you had been the attacker (2/2) and he had been the blocker (5/5), you could cast Flames of the Firebrand in your second main phase to finish off the 5/5.

No, not in the scenario you described. (Adamantois is mistaken. He missed that you weren't the active player or that the spell is a sorcery.)

Assuming the 5/5 actually took two damage from the 2/2 that blocked it, it would be a 5/5 with 2 damage marked on it until the cleanup step of that turn, at which point the damage is removed.

Since it's not your turn (since you were the blocker), you cannot cast [C]Flames of the Firebrand[/C] before the damage gets removed.

Alternate scenario #1:

If you had [C]Hypersonic Dragon[/C] or something similar in play, you could cast Flames of the Firebrand in your opponent's second main phase to finish off the 5/5.

Alternate scenario #2:

If you had been the attacker (2/2) and he had been the blocker (5/5), you could cast Flames of the Firebrand in your second main phase to finish off the 5/5.

I approve of this answer. ^_^

How to autocard: [c]gravecrawler[/c] = gravecrawler Find me on kingdomofloathing.com as Adamantois

Thank you for the quick replies. Looking at the Alternate scenario 1 raised by Adamantois, assuming I cast the Hypersonic Dragon to block the 5/5 creature, how can I cast Flames of the Firebrand in my opponents's second main phase if it's a sorcery?
Thank you for the quick replies. Looking at the Alternate scenario 1 raised by Adamantois, assuming I cast the Hypersonic Dragon to block the 5/5 creature, how can I cast Flames of the Firebrand in my opponents's second main phase if it's a sorcery?

Because Hypersonic Dragon allows you to cast sorcery as though it was an instant.

Because Hypersonic Dragon allows you to cast sorcery as though it was an instant.

Oh great, I missed that one pitiex. I thought only the Dragon itself can be cast as a flash. Thanks.

Oh great, I missed that one pitiex. I thought only the Dragon itself can be cast as a flash. Thanks.

Hypersonic Dragon doesn't have flash to itself. It only gave flash to the sorceries
I have another question please. If my Serra Advocate is declared as a blocker, can i tap it to target itself? Will it deal combat damage? My understanding is that only untapped creatures can deal combat damage.
I have another question please. If my Serra Advocate is declared as a blocker, can i tap it to target itself? Will it deal combat damage? My understanding is that only untapped creatures can deal combat damage.

Yes you can tap Serra Advocate after she declared as a blocker. It will give boost +2/+2 and it will still deal combat damage. Tapping the creature after you declared it as a blocker doesn't  remove it from combat. However, note that you can only activate her tap ability if she doesn't have summoning sickness.

Please start unrelated questions in new threads from now on. It makes it easier for others to find them, and you'll generally get a much quicker response.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Thanks again pitiex. Last question for today. I have a vamp deck. I have 2 stromkirk captains and a falkenrath exterminator on the table. Does the +1/+1 given by the captains count as counters that the exterminator can use? 
Thanks again pitiex. Last question for today. I have a vamp deck. I have 2 stromkirk captains and a falkenrath exterminator on the table. Does the +1/+1 given by the captains count as counters that the exterminator can use?

Stromkirk Captain does not put counters on creatures. Falkenrath Exterminator's ability only cares about counters.
Looking at the Alternate scenario 1 raised by Adamantois

You misspelled my name. ;)

Last question for today.

Again, please create new threads for new questions. And please autocard ([C]Stromkirk Captain[/C] ⇒ [C]Stromkirk Captain[/C])

Please start unrelated questions in new threads from now on. It makes it easier for others to find them, and you'll generally get a much quicker response.

Ok. Will do that next time. Sorry. I'm new to forumsSealed
Looking at the Alternate scenario 1 raised by Adamantois

You misspelled my name.

Last question for today.

Again, please create new threads for new questions. And please autocard ([C]Stromkirk Captain[/C] ⇒ [C]Stromkirk Captain[/C])

Sorry for the wrong name I referred to, ikegami. And thank you for the tip on autocarding.
My understanding is that only untapped creatures can deal combat damage.

This used to be true... more than 13 years ago!
Whoever told you that needs to freshen up on their rules knowledge... 

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

that was never true
Serra Angel was in Alpha after all

I think there was a time where untapping a creature removed it from combat, but my historic rules knowledge is lacking
proud member of the 2011 community team
It never applied to attacking creatures, of course, since they get tapped as they attack. Well, most of them anyway! 
It used to apply to blockers.

However it actually worked is irrelevant, and has been so for a long time.
But once in a while some old timer scavenges this up! 

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

Sign In to post comments