Damia

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
We were all new at one point. I'm not going to give you any specific card choices to select from because I believe EDH is a format where you can build whatever the hell you want. Having said that, my only recommendation is that you find a theme for your deck.

If you want your deck to draw off damia's ability consistently, then find tons of ways to thin down your deck through ramp and cheap spells. You constantly need to clear out your hand as well as make sure you have the ability to protect damia. 
One example of this would be a dredge deck. There were many creatures in the oringinal ravnica block that had dredge. This will take a heavy advantage from your ability to refresh your hand each turn as well.

I hope I was at least a little helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions on any specific cards. Also note that if budget is an issue, many people will recomend thing such as Tropical Island and the like, which can run you close to half a grand along with other top of the line cards. So you need to specify a kind of generalized budget/competitiveness to your deck.

Again, I hope my advice makes some sense to you.

Happy building and welcome to EDH :D

Pers
I'm a fan of Mill as a secondary win con, but for your deck Traumatize is wasted space. Since you have no other mill cards you can never win with it. Replace it with something that helps one of your other strategies.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Traumatize is not bad. This card is taking down half of a singleton deck. There are no copies to make up for the loss. So the effect works to cripple the opponent over a win condition. The other use is cards that can pick delights out of the opponent's graveyard like creatures.

I'll throw you some cards ideas to think over.
Cyclonic Rift
Mystic Snake
Spitting Image
Trygon Predator
Blizzard Specter
Dimir Doppelganger
Evil Twin
Lim-Dul's Vault
Mind Funeral
Mindleech Mass
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Silent-Blade Oni
Deathrite Shaman
Grim Feast
Lord of Extinction
We were all new at one point. I'm not going to give you any specific card choices to select from because I believe EDH is a format where you can build whatever the hell you want. Having said that, my only recommendation is that you find a theme for your deck.

If you want your deck to draw off damia's ability consistently, then find tons of ways to thin down your deck through ramp and cheap spells. You constantly need to clear out your hand as well as make sure you have the ability to protect damia. 
One example of this would be a dredge deck. There were many creatures in the oringinal ravnica block that had dredge. This will take a heavy advantage from your ability to refresh your hand each turn as well.

I hope I was at least a little helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions on any specific cards. Also note that if budget is an issue, many people will recomend thing such as Tropical Island and the like, which can run you close to half a grand along with other top of the line cards. So you need to specify a kind of generalized budget/competitiveness to your deck.

Again, I hope my advice makes some sense to you.

Happy building and welcome to EDH :D

Pers

ah, yeah, should have mentioned that earlier

this is going to be for pretty casual play, and my budget is pretty low for this deck - I'd probably order a few singles if need be (I've seen a few Damia decks with Jin-Gitaxis and Sheoldred) but I'm probably not looking to spend more than $30 on this thing

I could definitely throw some more ramp in there. and any recommendations for any other cards that will save me from milling myself out like Elixir of Immortality?
Eldrazi. The one ulamog can go a long way.

And traumatize is bad. If you're milling yourself there are more efficient was. If you're milling opponents you lose to eldrazi unless you use Iona queen of the fae (or something similar) and infinite mana.

Your deck can use a few more counterspells. Mana leak comes out for Counterspell. Arcane denial is also good. Mystic snake and voidslime are also playable.

Cheap ramp is also good. Samurai tribe elder. Solemn simulacrum. Coiling oracle... in general you want creatures to do stuff when they come down or be super durable or do both (like ulamog or woodfall primus).

3DH4LIF3

Ulamog is 2/3 of his budget. Gaea's Blessing and/or Psychic Spiral are anti-mill/deck restock for $1 or less.

Cheap ramp for green is very easy, tons of land fetching creatures and sorceries available, mostly commons and thus well inside the budget.

Could be that I'm just not seeing how your deck runs, but it looks directionless to me, relying on fairly vanilla creatures to get the job done. I'd identify a couple of strategies/win cons, then figure which cards fit both that strategy and your budget, then assemble from there. I'm not a big fan of tearing apart decks people post, but I'll give an example of what I'm talking about later.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I guess, if anything, I'm aiming to either boost unblockable creatures - Inivisble Stalker and Harbor Bandit (I suppose I should throw in Tormented Soul - and boosting them with the scavenging cards (which I could definitely throw more of in), or to make my big hitters - Worldspine Wurm, for example - unblockable with Rogue's Passage or Artful Dodge. Everything else is just keeping the opponent off of me as best as possible.

now that I've solidified that...yeah, I need more of all of that. I could throw in Latch Seeker, Dimir Infiltrator, and Inkfathom Infiltrator, maybe a Neurok Invisimancer for a lategame big hit...

probably throw in a Skyshroud Claim and Explosive Vegetation for some ramp, in addition to Coiling Oracle.
Gotcha, unblockable is strategy #1.

Alright, I'll say this up front: I'm listing a deck with budget as priority #1. Thus, people are likely to say it is not that good.

It is reliant on Damia to load your hand repeatedly, and on recursion to get your best tricks back. But apart from Sheoldred and maybe Asceticism, it's either cheap or a card you were already using.

On a thirty dollar budget you cant expect a bunch of unblockable guys to beat the table. You're better off with counters and combo. An arbitrarily large exsanguinate for example or a timestretch lock.

3DH4LIF3

I'd agree with that but was sticking to OP's strategy. But you are correct, 2-3 point chunks are not going to win in EDH except possibly in 1v1 duels. Of course, relying on counters when there's mutiple opponents is also a flawed strategy, since you stop one guy and not the next.

The real winner in the above deck is mass ramp + exsanguinate. With luck you might mill one player, but it's not going to beat the table.

The counter strategy works... But assumes that the rest of the table will pitch in. in a color balanced game someone should always have an answer... Not necessarily in hand. In lopsided color games you end up with one deck playing something the other decks just aren't equipped for... Like enchantments when the table is red and black...

3DH4LIF3

Just by luck I found Ashes to Ashes. Cheap 3 mana that can exile two non-artifact creaturea and deals 5 damage to you.