B/G Splinterfright self mill (Now with more Thragtusks!)

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm currently brainstorming a self mill deck.  I haven't played it yet, but I wanted to see what you guys thought before I try to track down the cards I'm missing.

Creatures: 24

4x Deathrite Shaman
4x Pack Rat
4x Splinterfright
2x Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
2x Disciple of Bolas
1x Deadbridge Goliath
3x Thragtusk
1x Kessig Cagebreakers
3x Ghoultree

Other Spells: 12

4x Grisly Salvage
2x Mulch
2x Jarad's Orders
4x Tragic Slip

Lands: 24

Forests
Swamps
Overgrown Tombs
Woodland Cemeterys
Evolving Wilds
Maybe Grim Backwoods?

OK, so obviously the plan is to fill the yard using Grisly Salvage, Mulch and even Pack Rat and kill them with gigantic Splinterfrights and such.  Deathrite Shaman can help me ramp into some threats a turn early (works especially well with Evolving Wilds) and even chucks my used spells at the opponent for some damage.  Pack Rat can also be a win condition, albeit one I'm iffy on.

Thragtusks are in because a little birdy told me he's pretty good (plus I happen to own them already).  Disciple of Bolas seems to synergize pretty well with Thragtusk as well as some of my other big creatures.  The singleton creatures are to search up with Jarad's OrdersKessig Cagebreakers for a late game finisher and Deadbridge Goliath to throw into the yard to scavenge at will.

Some other cards I'm considering:

Lotleth Troll might be better than Pack Rat here, but I'm not sure.  Pack Rat sure is easier on the wallet!

Dreg Mangler seems strong, but I don't know what I'd remove for him.

Korozda Guildmage seems alright.

Spider Spawning might be a little cute, but has some potential.

I'm also not sure what to do about removal.  Tragic SlipMurderUltimate PriceVictim of Night?  I know Abrupt Decay is good, but it's not cheap and not being able to hit bigger creatures seems like a real drawback.  I do own a copy of Liliana of the Veil for pseudo removal, but she's useless if she gets milled.  She doesn't even provide fuel for Deathrite Shaman.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could give.

I think you want 4 Mulch.

I think I don't like Disciple of Bolas.

I think Cagebreakers should be a 3rd Jarad since control will find a good way to chain sweepers onto you were you to get out of hand. Finding a combat swing will be tough. And their main answers will be O Ring and Detention Sphere so running 3 Jarad will be a big deal.

Deadbridge can probably go... and use that slot to make Tragic Slip a 3 and add 2 Abrupt Decay (why to tag O-Rings of course).

I'm dubious of Jarad's Orders... but generally I like this deck and I think it could work... and if it does Jarad's Orders will probably be a player for binning a Jarad. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yeah, 4 copies of Mulch seems optimal.  I'll try to fit 2 more in there.  Now my question is, if I have 4 Grisly Salvage and 4 Mulch is it feasible to cut a land or two?  I'll be digging through my deck pretty fast.

Also, out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about Disciple of Bolas?  Do you think it's too slow or doesn't fit the strategy?  I just put it in because I have a lot of high power targets for it, such as Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Thragtusk.
I have a similar deck, an dreg mangler is great as well as the guildmage, because making ghoultrees intimidating and then flinging them at people is delicious! as for dreg mangler it depends on how aggressive your metagame is, if they are playing alot of fast aggro decks hes better at keeping up vs, control plus he can be scavenged which is always nice if needed. 
Also... Needs more Thragtusk! LOL 
I just don't think Disciple is going to do what you want. If you have a huge guy out you want to turn into life and cards... you generally want to turn him sideways. As a 2/1 he's irrelevant. If you want to get rid of your guys Jarad does something great for that.

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I just don't think Disciple is going to do what you want. If you have a huge guy out you want to turn into life and cards... you generally want to turn him sideways. As a 2/1 he's irrelevant. If you want to get rid of your guys Jarad does something great for that.

Amen, toss the bolas and focus on getting a big guy out swining and sac with jarad for game. I wouldnt reccomend thrag and replace it with 2 more mulches and a ghoultree.

A land u would really like to help you hit em where it counts with your frights and ghoultrees would be Rogue's Passage

I really like the deathrite/evolving wilds combo.
You know, as much as I think 4 mana is a heavy activation cost on a land.... paying 4 to get a Ghoultree in is extremely efficient mana expenditure. And it should be convenient with a full set of Mulches and Grisly Salvages and Deathrite Shamans to push mana.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Unblockable ghoultree... *shiver*

two words nobody ever wants to hear. 
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
I actually kind of like this. Your lands and creatures give you everything you want for your big/bigs. Evasion and reach and ca.

The deck does have a kind of awkward spot on turn 3/4. You probably need to do some damage control but you can start getting into creature fights pretty profitably from there forward. Hurray for Thragtusk. And being able to throw your guys or send them in via the Passage.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Unblockable ghoultree... *shiver*

two words nobody ever wants to hear. 

ow... response: Worldfire
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
I really like the idea of Rogue's Passage.  Unblockability is a great boon for this deck.  There are a number of spells in the deck that require only colored mana and this can't help cast them, though.  Seems like it may be worth the risk.  I also like Sever the Bloodline for removal.  It is expensive, but the flashback is awesome when I'm milling myself this much.  These are some great ideas.
I think I like Lotleth Troll in here a lot more than I like pack rat. He works faster than packrat and a lot cheaper, allowing you to t2 him, dump your hand to him, then ghoultree on t3? Seems legit enough. Pack rat is better end-game, but your endgame should be a 10/10 plant zombie thing or flinging said 10/10 plant thing

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Yeah, I think it's kind of a toss-up between Pack Rat and Lotleth Troll.  They both have strengths and weaknesses.  Admittedly, Pack Rat's biggest strength is the price tag.  I suppose both are worth testing though.
Hate troll since I cannot pitch anything I want to him to build power. And if he gets answered by a spot removal I just lost my pitch outlet.

Cut the guildmages, a land, a splinterfright for a 3rd sever and 3 dawntreader elk. Loving the change. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I really like Dawntreader Elk here.  I did like the idea of using Korozda Guildmage to give Ghoultree intimidate, but I guess Elk would be useful every game, where the Guildmage is really only useful if you assemble the combo.

Do you think it's more important to have 4 Ghoultrees or 4 Splinterfrights?  Splinterfright seems more versatile to me.
Splinterfright is occasionally an uncastable card if you don't hit gas on turn 2. Since its a mid/late game powerhouse he's a 3 of that I may turn into a 2 of... but 3 feels right.

Ghoultree is still a turn 4 cast in this deck... particularly if you t1 shaman, t2 gas, t3 dawntreader.  Tree is also a guaranteed huge body and great synergy with Jarad...

Ghoultree > Jarad > Deathrite > Splinterfright 

Grisly > Mulch > Splinterfright

Kind of weird. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Splinterfright is occasionally an uncastable card if you don't hit gas on turn 2. Since its a mid/late game powerhouse he's a 3 of that I may turn into a 2 of... but 3 feels right.

Ghoultree is still a turn 4 cast in this deck... particularly if you t1 shaman, t2 gas, t3 dawntreader.  Tree is also a guaranteed huge body and great synergy with Jarad...

Ghoultree > Jarad > Deathrite > Splinterfright 

Grisly > Mulch > Splinterfright

Kind of weird. 

That's silly, both Splinterfright and Ghoultree are occasionally uncastable.  The difference being that you can cast Splinterfright with nothing in your graveyard.  It's not ideal, but it can get your gy started.  4 of Splinterfright is useful when you're self-milling.    

A useful card i haven't seen mentioned in this thread: Altar's Reap.    

That's silly, both Splinterfright and Ghoultree are occasionally uncastable.  The difference being that you can cast Splinterfright with nothing in your graveyard.  It's not ideal, but it can get your gy started.  4 of Splinterfright is useful when you're self-milling.    

Paying 3 mana to place 1 creature in your graveyard and do *nothing* else is terrible. And you're time walking yourself on turn 3 to do it. It's not a competitive angle at all. This is why I cut one back.

That's terrible. Especially in this deck. There's a reason it hasn't been mentioned.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Bump.

Added a card that really boosts the deck Slum Reaper. Of course its great for this pile. Its a body + removal and you can dig for it in a pinch with Grisly Salvage.

Moving the Abrupt Decays to the sideboard. Awkward card at times. The cut was either those or Thragtusk.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

...  You just sac the slum reaper you donk... sometimes you eat a shaman or something that isn't up to par with the turn of the game.

Against control you just play it as a stronk removal for their wincon.... which makes your Splinters and Jarads bigger and your trees cheaper.

I don't care if aggro sacs a 1 or 2 drop. Its a minor tempo play that will lead into resolution of a body that will be almost unanswerable for them. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

...  You just sac the slum reaper you donk...

Lol! I''l have to start calling people that!

sometimes you eat a shaman or something that isn't up to par with the turn of the game.

Against control you just play it as a stronk removal for their wincon.... which makes your Splinters and Jarads bigger and your trees cheaper.

I don't care if aggro sacs a 1 or 2 drop. Its a minor tempo play that will lead into resolution of a body that will be almost unanswerable for them. 

Haven't you ever played with Fleshbag Marauder? This is how he worked. You usually sac him, but sometimes you just need power.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Reaper does seem interesting, but I'd be more interested in seeing how Rancor works with this deck. Pumping a guy with Rancor, swinging, then sacrificing him to Jarad after combat with a Splinterfright on  the field seems like a decently strong play. 

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Marauder was a 3 drop in a slower era.

I don't want to pay double for an edict. 

And Gatekeeper of Malakir was a "3" drop in a very fast era.

The point is sometimes you need a killspell and a body in one card. This card does that. Also, it's not a bad target for Jarad, either.

Finally;
See? I AM posting in starndard more!
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
It's a four mana rampant growth/ edict/ creature pump spell.... In this deck only. Outside of this deck... Unplayable. Here.... Probably a really good role player. I love it.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I like Slum Reaper here for the same reason I kind of don't like Rancor; Slum Reaper is a creature.  That's important in this deck.  If I hit a Rancor with Grisly Salvage or Mulch I lose it.  It's not even fuel for Deathrite Shaman.  I don't like that Slum Reaper is a 4 mana edict so much, but it's on a body that will pump Splinterfright and cheapen Ghoultree after I use it.

Still, it makes me wish Fleshbag Marauder was standard legal.  I like the 3 CMC. . .
I like Slum Reaper here for the same reason I kind of don't like Rancor; Slum Reaper is a creature.  That's important in this deck.  If I hit a Rancor with Grisly Salvage or Mulch I lose it.  It's not even fuel for Deathrite Shaman.  I don't like that Slum Reaper is a 4 mana edict so much, but it's on a body that will pump Splinterfright and cheapen Ghoultree after I use it.

Still, it makes me wish Fleshbag Marauder was standard legal.  I like the 3 CMC. . .

Yeah, makes sense. I guess Rancor is a bit less synergistic that I had originally though.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Also, there's nothing wrong with flinging a 4 drop with Jarad.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
My only issue with pack rat as a discard outlet.

He eats.. mana... like the nuts..

Hence I actually rarely bother with discard outlets.. I mean, rarely will you ever want to discard the good stuff you draw.

I opted for a more grindy game. [CARD]Vampire Nighthawk[/CARD] is pretty good and helps shore up the flyer weakness in the deck. Even better if lategame you have one and got scavenge in the yard and no other options.

Really not feeling slum reaper in this deck.. I mean, if this were the marauder, I'd be all in on the idea, but I'd much rather spend my 4-drop slot on good creatures, like 5/5 sized ones and instead spend my extra spell slots on removal.
I've been experimenting with a similar deck since I got 4 Grisly Salvages at the 2 prereleases I went to.
The original plan was to get huge Boneyard Wurms and Splinterfrights with Ghoultree as backup, but the Wurms ended up sucking and the Ghoultrees ended up being the star player. I'm using Treasured Find to recycle my Grisly Salvages and Mulches so I can dump dudes in the graveyard even faster.

My only issue with pack rat as a discard outlet.

He eats.. mana... like the nuts..

Yeah having to pay 3 mana to discard a card doesn't seem like the best option, that's why I'm using Lotleth Troll since he lets you discard dudes for free.

Hence I actually rarely bother with discard outlets.. I mean, rarely will you ever want to discard the good stuff you draw.

He's usually used to just get 1 or 2 extra creatures in the graveyard so you can get your Ghoultrees out faster.

I opted for a more grindy game. [CARD]Vampire Nighthawk[/CARD] is pretty good and helps shore up the flyer weakness in the deck. Even better if lategame you have one and got scavenge in the yard and no other options.

He's worth considering, and so is Ambush Viper. It can't block fliers or gain you life, but you can flash it in to kill an attacking creature on the ground.

Really not feeling slum reaper in this deck.. I mean, if this were the marauder, I'd be all in on the idea, but I'd much rather spend my 4-drop slot on good creatures, like 5/5 sized ones and instead spend my extra spell slots on removal.

The things is that we want as few non-creature spells in the deck as possible so we get the most creatures in the graveyard with our mill cards. Given that, I think Slum Reaper is just fine. Obviously Fleshbag Marauder would be better, but we have to work with what we have.

By the way, Rogue's Passage works great in this deck.

Paying 3 mana to place 1 creature in your graveyard and do *nothing* else is terrible. And you're time walking yourself on turn 3 to do it. It's not a competitive angle at all. This is why I cut one back.

I know it's terrible. It's just possible. You'll never play a Ghoultree turn 3, unless someone hit you with a Mind Sculpt the turn before.  A self-milling deck can't be competetive right now any way you put it together tho, so don't take it so seriously. 

That's terrible. Especially in this deck. There's a reason it hasn't been mentioned.

That's a good card in this situation.  Try playing it in place of Disciple of Bolas sometime.  At instant speed and only 2 mana, it's a great answer to someone playing a kill/exile/bounce spell on one of your creatures.  
a spell that shrinks your board for no converted card gain isn't a good card. Disciple of Bolas is good because he replaces the creature, while gaining CA and life, which is important to a midrange deck like this.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
Seems like the red is probably unnecessary and a bit forced.

And he had to lose Rogue's Passage as a result. That card is great here. If I was going to add red and had to pull Rogue's Passage... you better believe Kessig would be in. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Seems like the red is probably unnecessary and a bit forced.

And he had to lose Rogue's Passage as a result. That card is great here. If I was going to add red and had to pull Rogue's Passage... you better believe Kessig would be in. 

^this.

Rogue's passage is dynamite in this deck. you just need to get through with once with a big creature to seal up the game with Jarad.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
id like to throw this up for thought.

Essence Harvest

its flings without having to actually "fling". three mana for a potential post-combat win doesnt seem terrible. hell. even three mana for the mid-late game lifegain doesnt sound bad either. a bit better than the Disciple of Bolas and cheaper, sure u dont get the card draw, but lets face it, we would rather those cards being dredged anyways.     

What you think of this one? 

my list is GBU. similar to this except the lootings are Thought Scour and i have added a Havengul Lich for kicks.

i need to just break down and get a full set of deathrite shamans but I am trying to move out of mom and dad's and must save every penny so i must live vicariously through ya'll.

as far as rogue's passage, if u went blue you could gain access to Artful Dodge and flash it back.
Not a lot of room for spells in this deck. Gotta squeeze evasion and removal and acceleration from creature and lands whenever possible to maximize power.

Card i forgot which is good in this archetype for clearing the way:
Ulvenwald Tracker.

Him, deathrite make a good Turn 1.  

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

id like to throw this up for thought.

Essence Harvest

its flings without having to actually "fling". three mana for a potential post-combat win doesnt seem terrible. hell. even three mana for the mid-late game lifegain doesnt sound bad either. a bit better than the Disciple of Bolas and cheaper, sure u dont get the card draw, but lets face it, we would rather those cards being dredged anyways.     

the great thing about Disciple is that he's a creature. you use him to sac a creature that isn't nescessary at a later point in the game, get life back that you most likely lost in the early stages of the game, and draw more creature cards that you can then discard to the troll. He does a LOT for this deck at four mana.
Show
Show
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
How testing? Need result
I have a very similar deck as my main standard deck at the moment. I'm not really super competetive but neither is this type of deck! Here is what I have:

Creatures:

Lands:
[deck]4x Evolving Wilds
10x Forest
4x Golgari Guildgate
6x Swamp
2x Transguild Promenade[/deck]

Instants:
[deck] 2x Gnaw to the Bone
4x Grisly Salvage[/deck]

Sorceries:
2x Mulch

I will be getting more Deathrite Shaman as soon as I can scrap the money up to do so (my 1 was a MVP at pre-release). Also try not to laugh at my lands, I just don't have the cash right now to buy all of those expensive multi colored lands. I agree with what people have said about this needing to be a very creature heavy deck. I removed my Treasured Find and my other 2 Mulch because of that. Gnaw to the Bone still remains as one of my few spells for its amazing utility. Few life gain spells are so darn powerfull late game. I'm not really sold on the Korozda Guildmage but I do like the ability to make an an unblockable ghoul tree.

Considerations
Dawntreader Elk I use him heavily when my deck was G/U however with the gates out i've started to use more Gatecreeper Vines not totally sold on this switch but seems to be working alright.

Disciple of Bolas I had never considered him but the more I think about it the more I like him. Card advantage is nothing to scoff at. 
Sign In to post comments