Is my Izzet deck good enough for FNM?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I have build this Izzet deck and I would like to hear whether you think it is good enough for Friday Night Magic or not? The idea is that the Guttersnipe (deal 2 damage), Runechanter's Pike (Equip to creature) and Talrand, Sky Summoner (Create 2/2 flying drakes) will benefit from casted instants and soceries.

Creatures: 14 cards
3x Invisible Stalker
3x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner
2x Hypersonic Dragon

Spells: 24 cards
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Unsummon
4x Think Twice
3x Thought Scour
3x Desperate Ravings
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Cyclonic Rift
2x Runechanter's Pike

Lands: 22 cards
9x Island
7x Mountain
4x Izzet Guildgate
2x Steam Vents

Sideboard: 15 cards
4x Izzet Charm
4x Negate 
3x Teleportal
2x Sleep
1x Runechanter's Pike
1x Mizzium Mortars

I know the mana base could be better and next month I will try to but 2x Steam Vents and 4x Sulfur Falls.

All comments will be appreciated.

Looks like a little bit unfocused imho. Theres so much to do in these colours that i honestly dont know atm what to do with ur list :L. Ill try to upload something i have been brewing later.
It's okay, but could use some streamlining. Hypersonic doesn't do much, and you may have too many slow draw cards and not enough actual business spells.
Thank you for your replies.

(MrIndigo) What other card drawing spells do you think I need? I tried the faster Faithless Looting when i played it (in casual) yesterday, and I often found myself in a situation, where I didn't have cards to discard, which meant that if I wanted to use it, I would have to discard the two cards it would give me.
Would it help if I took out the 3x Thought Scour and the 2x Hypersonic Dragon and add:

1x Desperate Ravings, 1x Mizzium Mortars, 1x Runechanter's Pike, 1x Goblin Electromancer and 1x Invisible Stalker?

or

1x Desperate Ravings, 2x Thunderous Wrath and 2x Searing Spear 

or

1x Desperate Ravings and 4x Searing Spear

or

1x Desperate Ravings and 4x Silent Departure

or something else?  
No, Thought Scour actually seems good for you because it cycles cheaply, triggers Talrand and Guttersnipe, and fills the graveyard for Pike (and Snapcaster, if you had them).

I'm assuming Snapcaster is out of range price-wise, so I'd look at running something like:

4 Goblin Electromancer
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Guttersnipe
3 Talrand

3 Runechanter's Pike
4 Thought Scour
4 Izzet Charm
2 Teleportal
4 Pillar of Flame
3 Brimstone Volley
3 Unsummon
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Mizzium Mortars

And then whatever dual lands you can get split with basics. 
Seems like a good deck, thank you for your advice.
I have changed the deck, so it looks like this:

Cretures: 14
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner 

Spells: 23
4x Unsummon
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Desperate Ravings (for the flashback)
4x Izzet Charm
3x Mizzium Mortars
2x Cyclonic Rift
2x Teleportal

Artifacts: 3
3x Runechanter's Pike

Lands: 20
7x Island
7x Mountain
4x Izzet Guildgate
2x Steam Vents

Sideboard: 15
3x Tormod's Crypt
3x Sleep 
2x Electrickery 
2x Vandalblast
2x Augur of Bolas
2x Thunderous Wrath
1x Teleportal

What do you think of the changes?
Any suggestions or oppinions?
Have you tried doing a couple of draws with it? The only issue I can see is that technically your business spells/theme won't start damaging a player until you have at least two mana on the field (which should be easy...) I guess what I'm trying to ask is have you thought about how to stay ahead during early game against people playing large one drops aka Dryad Militant.

You could also always try at least Delver of Secrets as a one drop to act as a blocker until you get your combos going.

Overall I like it though and understand where you are going with it.
I have thought about adding Delver of Secrets but I'm not sure whether I got enough instants and soceries to make it usefull, but maybe I should try it.
I have thought about adding Delver of Secrets but I'm not sure whether I got enough instants and soceries to make it usefull, but maybe I should try it.

At the very least you can use it to block for a turn until you get your combos started Smile I would think, in all honesty it probably wouldn't flip but hey you could easily get lucky and boom it flips.
Izzet Staticaster seems out of place. If you really have to deal with a bunch of x/1s, Electrickery seems more synergistic with the rest of your deck.
Well spotted, I didn't really think of that, I usually only build angro deck, so this is a little new to me. I will definitely take your advice.
I have changed the deck, so it looks like this:

Cretures: 14
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner 

Spells: 23
4x Unsummon
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Desperate Ravings (for the flashback)
4x Izzet Charm
3x Mizzium Mortars
2x Cyclonic Rift
2x Teleportal

Artifacts: 3
3x Runechanter's Pike

Lands: 20
7x Island
7x Mountain
4x Izzet Guildgate
2x Steam Vents

Sideboard: 15
3x Tormod's Crypt
3x Sleep 
2x Electrickery
2x Vandalblast
2x Augur of Bolas
2x Thunderous Wrath
1x Teleportal

What do you think of the changes?

I have made some changes according to your advice, do you think the deck should be fine now?
I feel like 20 lands might be a little low, but you'll want to get a second opinion about that, because I'm not very experienced with this type of deck.
Mike Flores is running a Delver with 2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius at States. His list had 20 lands; you might be able to swing it. His list had quite a bit of cantrippage, like Desperate Ravings and Think Twice.
The reason why I decided to try only 20 lands, is that many of the delver decks from www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... run very few lands, some of them only ran 18 lands. But in case I dosen't work, I can just take out the Teleportals and add 2 more lands.

Mike Flores is running a Delver with 2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius at States. His list had 20 lands; you might be able to swing it. His list had quite a bit of cantrippage, like Desperate Ravings and Think Twice.

don't forget the most important part of this post.... MIKE FLORES

overrated as can be 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

don't forget the most important part of this post.... MIKE FLORES

overrated as can be 

Overrated or not, he's got credentials and experience. I'd strongly consider Niv, OP. 
Sign In to post comments