MC options for a scout.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I will be playing this character in an upcomming campaign from level 1 on up to paragon and beyond. I was looking at MC Spiked chain for the ability to charge with reach and prone an enemy 1 square away with Charging Ram but I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions for paragon paths I might be better spending my MC on. Currently Dragonmarks are not an option due to setting but may change later in the campaign as our DM is fond of travel between settings.

Will I be missing out on any good options by taking up my MC slot?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Amber, level 1
Human, Ranger (Scout)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Wilderness Tracker (Ranger)
Ranger Wilderness Knacks Option: Ambush Expertise (Ranger)
Two-Weapon Style Option: Flashing Blade Mastery
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Luskan (Luskan Benefit)
Theme: Bloodsworn

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 20, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 17 Will: 13
HP: 23 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +4, Nature +7, Perception +7, Stealth +10, Thievery +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana –1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance –1, Heal +2, History –1, Insight +2, Intimidate +0, Religion –1, Streetwise +0

POWERS
Rogue Utility: Backstab
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Bloodsworn Utility: Bloodied Determination
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Ranger Utility: Aspect of the Pack Wolf
Ranger Attack: Dual Weapon Attack
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 1: Spiked Chain Training

ITEMS
Spiked chain x1
Hide Armor x1
Dagger
Climber's Kit
Hunter's Kit
Fire Kit
Delver's kit
Traveler's Kit
Longbow
Arrows
Waterskin
Candle
Flask (empty)
Thieves' Tools
Filter mask
Ghoul Candle
Bell and whistle
Faerie Puppet
Hair of Fairy Hues
====== End ======

Lots of cool bonuses but I am not sure if I am cool with the usless encounter powers (or a feat to swap them out). Looks like Kensei would be the best choice of these for the static mods that would go onto my normal attacks. I had considered these and Snow Tiger as options. Any dex based or stat neutral ones out there? 
Thanks for the help. the off hand thing wont fly since we rule that off hand is whatever the weapon you didn't use with your primary attack. After all there is no right/left handed. Its not raw but makes sense in the lack of rules there are for off hand. The avenger is an interesting thought to crit fish tho.
Lots of cool bonuses but I am not sure if I am cool with the usless encounter powers (or a feat to swap them out). Looks like Kensei would be the best choice of these for the static mods that would go onto my normal attacks. I had considered these and Snow Tiger as options. Any dex based or stat neutral ones out there? 

Since you're human, Adroit Explorer is another good option for a paragon path (it was what I was going to go for on my scout if she ever gets to paragon), it lets you pick up a Ranger E7 power as your E11.  There's a few Ranger melee powers you can pick up that key off Dexterity, and if you pick up the Midnight Blade feats* (Midnight Blade Student and Midnight Blade Marauder), you can expand that selection to include, if I remember correctly, a minor action smack or two.

Another not-bad choice if you're charging around a lot might be Nocturnal.

*You can actually be pretty awesome in heroic with the extra Human at-will to Throw and Stab, the right setup for the off-hand weapon, and the Midnight Blade Student feat.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
I understand. think of it as a state based effect how we rule it. I want to make an attack with weapon A. If Weapon B is a light blade then I get the bonus. If I want to make an attack with weapon B then weapon A must be a light blade to get the bonus. Yes I know you don't feel this is RAW and I am not arguing it is.

I just stated for your benefit the rules I am playing under and I must work within those rules or the DM witholds Cheetoes and Mountain Dew. 

None of us want that. 

Thank you Crymsin! I totally forgot about adroid explorer I love that PP and it would work fine without any MC options. 
Spiked Chain MC and Adroit Explorer, or Fighter MC and Shocktrooper should both work fine. I'm a little miffed with Spiked Chain MC because of losing out on a skill, compared to a real multiclass like Fighter. My favorite way to build the scout is fighter MC shocktrooper with doublesword for practical magic item maintenance.

Sign In to post comments