10/9/2012 RC: "My Entire Deck Is on the Battlefield"

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
What about Nivix Guildmage in the first list (red instead of white, 4 colors might be a little too hard to pull off...)? Throw in that and a Fervor, and you can combo with 4 defenders + Fervor, the Guildmage, and Cackling Counterpart! Although a 7-card combo isn't ideal...
What about Nivix Guildmage in the first list (red instead of white, 4 colors might be a little too hard to pull off...)? Throw in that and a Fervor, and you can combo with 4 defenders + Fervor, the Guildmage, and Cackling Counterpart! Although a 7-card combo isn't ideal...

That was one of the highlighted alternate decks last week.

I like to see a Singleton copy of Memorial in decks like this, provides haste when you do go off and thus makes things better (and with the level of ramp this deck has a 7 mana artifact isn't hard to cast.
I will shamelessly play it. It's a variation of a deck I was already planning on using. The only issue I have, will be obtaining the Planeswalkers. i cracked no Jace in my booster box, and have no Tamiyo. And paying 160+ for a playset of Jace, is a bit absurd, though nowhere near as brutal as a playset of Bonfire of the Damned, last time I had checked the price. I'll have to lower the standard and run the clone the original deck-builder intended, or maybe, like Mel suggested, a nice, juicy Memorial, maybe a few Door to Nothingness for the lulz, or pretty much any nice sized fatty. Makes me miss Sensei's Divining Top.
    I've removed content from this thread because inappropriate content/vulgarity and baiting are violations of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
Who wants to play Magic with someone that puts their entire deck on the battlefield, and most likely using mosswart bridge than actually getting to 10 mana? It just invalidates the entire game. It is funny once. Maybe. Cards like this make Magic worse because they give the other player 3 options.

Option 1 is to completely waste their time against stupid decks doing stupid things.
Option 2 is to play counterspells since those are the only spells that can stop people from doing stupid things like this.
Option 3 is to not play Magic either at all or with people that play stupid cards.     
Wow, such delightful decks! I kinda preferred the populate token shenanigans of the original deck to the Primal Surge version, but both are quite fun to read about.

But I love the ideas in the also-rans. Descendants' Path plus Dragon Hatchling into, say, Utvara Hellkite or Balefire Dragon! Search the City using Runic Repetition and Misthollow Griffin! Dual Casting plus Blistercoil Weird; Index to set up Guild Feud and Temporal Mastery; Curiosity/Tandem Lookout plus Hellrider/Lobber Crew... 

A truly delightful smorgasbord for the Johnnies among us. Thank you, Gavin.

(Oh, and I couldn't post on an article titled "My Entire Deck Is on the Battlefield" without mentioning the combo of Research // Development, Eye of the Storm, and Mind's Desire... seasoned with any card-draw effects and a Vedalken Orrery, this lets you put your entire collection of (nonland) cards on the stack all at once. ;) )

Clone is in M13 and should be in the deck. After a Primal Surge it can copy a Craterhoof Behemoth and guarantee a kill before a sweeper. Before that it can copy an Axebane Guardian to give you loads of mana.
As long as CHBehemoth is already on the battlefield.
As long as CHBehemoth is already on the battlefield.

Can you explain the timing on this? "Enter the battlefield as" takes its target before the critters are in play?

Edit:

Ruling from Gatherer

7/1/2012If Clone somehow enters the battlefield at the same time as another creature, Clone can't become a copy of that creature. You may only choose a creature that's already on the battlefield.
8 creatures with defender in a deck with primal surge and behemoth. Did the writer even playtest this pile? Like seriously?  Especially when there are still plenty of non-wall mana guys in standard.  Dumb, just plain dumb and noobish.
8 creatures with defender in a deck with primal surge and behemoth. Did the writer even playtest this pile? Like seriously?  Especially when there are still plenty of non-wall mana guys in standard.  Dumb, just plain dumb and noobish.

I'm not sure what list you are looking at but I see 12 defenders, 8 non-defender mana guys, Primal Surge, some big creatures, Planeswalkers, and 2 Kessig Wolf Runs.  In other words, a lot of mana and stuff to use it on.

Will the deck work at an FNM, I have no idea.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Sorry you are right, 12 guys with defender!  That's even dumber with the behemoth.  Bascially you should never run defenders with behemoth in any deck, especially when standard already has stuff like gilded lotus, borderland ranger that can ramp you just as well.
I've been playing a primal surge deck online for quite a while now and now people will assume I'm netdecking when I play with it.  Not sure yet if it will still even be viable after rotation.

That said, I like the Behemoth with this and have been playing that with my primal surge as well, although I was playing a primal surge+lab maniac combo deck. 
Sorry you are right, 12 guys with defender!  That's even dumber with the behemoth.  Bascially you should never run defenders with behemoth in any deck, especially when standard already has stuff like gilded lotus, borderland ranger that can ramp you just as well.

"You should never run defenders with Behemoth in any deck"... Um, did you read the article? The bit where he was ramping up to being able to cast Primal Surge without dying first? The aim isn't to cast Behemoth, the aim is to Surge into it.

And in case you hadn't heard, Magic is many games to many people. Any time you find yourself telling someone "you should never put both X and Y together in any deck", it's time to step back and remember that other people play the game with different preferences, aims, and tastes than you.
"After careful testing, I determined this card isn't nearly as powerful without cards that produce tokens in your deck."

Big fan of your humour Gavin : ) And congrats on getting rehired at WoTC, hopefully we see lots of your work in the near future!

As for the deck, it seems fun. I can see it being a bit elf-bally in that it's not so fun to play against multiple times. The things to avoid, I think, are early turn wins. And the things to really avoid are consistent early game wins. That's what makes elfball lame. This at least takes a few turns to get going, if you're lucky. Looks fun!
there are always players who enjoy playing something non mainstream and this is definitely one of it. use to play decks like phyrexian unlife + melira , or the empires set deck once in a while during FMN for the fun of it, though it may not be really that competitive.

I would like to ask for suggestion though. how can this deck handle board wipers like bonfire, mizzium mortar, supreme verdict, mutilate? in particular supreme verdict. I understand the rest I could sideboard stuff like negate, dissipate in. but how to handle supreme verdict? any suggestions? 

I would like to ask for suggestion though. how can this deck handle board wipers like bonfire, mizzium mortar, supreme verdict, mutilate? in particular supreme verdict. I understand the rest I could sideboard stuff like negate, dissipate in. but how to handle supreme verdict? any suggestions? 

If you do it right and have a pretty good draw, you shouldn't have to.  However, the only decent options to stop Supreme Verdict are Golgari Charm,  Rootborn Defenses, and maybe Slaughter Games.  Rootborn Defenses is probebly the best option with Avacyn's Pilgrim in the deck.  Of couse it only works against Bonfire of the Damned, Mizzium Mortars, and Supreme Verdict.  Mutilate and Terminus have to be flat out countered or removed with Slaughter Games.

If you do it right and have a pretty good draw, you shouldn't have to.  However, the only decent options to stop Supreme Verdict are Golgari Charm,  Rootborn Defenses, and maybe Slaughter Games.  Rootborn Defenses is probebly the best option with Avacyn's Pilgrim in the deck.  Of couse it only works against Bonfire of the Damned, Mizzium Mortars, and Supreme Verdict.  Mutilate and Terminus have to be flat out countered or removed with Slaughter Games.

ok thanks for the suggestion ^^ Tho i was trying to stick 2 UG for the deck.. and relying of on the pilgrim for white mana is very dangerous i feel.. looks like i just have to try playing a bit and see how ^^ I was thinking if opponent potentially have the a/m board wipes, i will just have to play without over commiting the board..

ok thanks for the suggestion ^^ Tho i was trying to stick 2 UG for the deck.. and relying of on the pilgrim for white mana is very dangerous i feel.. looks like i just have to try playing a bit and see how ^^ I was thinking if opponent potentially have the a/m board wipes, i will just have to play without over commiting the board..

Axebane Guardian and Gilded Lotus also give you the mana needed to splash colors.  I just said Avacyn's Pilgrem because it adds white mana.

Axebane Guardian and Gilded Lotus also give you the mana needed to splash colors.  I just said Avacyn's Pilgrem because it adds white mana.

oh ya~ forgotten bout them~ thanx ^^
Couldn't you also play a copy of Avacyn, Angel of Hope? You can still play around board sweepers whilst still being able to flip into it with Primal Surge
So after the first win with this deck wouldn't control players just side in something to counter the surge as soon as its cast? 

And wouldn't salting in an anti sweeper like rootborn screw up the surge when it finds one as its not a permanent?