Izzet Deck, can it be done?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'd like to report it can.  I was able to 3-0 my first RtR draft with this deck (well 1'st round bye so not true 3-0, but I'm proud of it anyway)

Creatures

hover barrier 1x
lobber crew 1x
frostburn weird 1x
new prahv guildmage 1x
goblin electromancer 3x
Isperia's skywatch 1x
crosstown courier 1x
splatter thug 1x
guttersnipe 1x (never drew him)
soulsworn spirit 1x
nivix guildmage 1x

Spells
sphinx's revelation 1x (yeah it's good)
essence backlash 1x
street spasm 1x
arrest 1x
Izzet charm 1x
inaction injunction 1x
goblin rally 1x
explosive impact 1x (so good with the electromancers in play)
thoughtflare 1x
dynacharge 1x

Lands
steam vents 1x
izzet guildgate 1x
plains 3x
mountain 6x
island 6x

Notable Sidebord
batterhorn 1x
izzet charm 1x
teleportal 1x
street sweeper 1x
trostani's judgment 1x
downsize 2x
tablet of guilds 1x

This was a 9 man pod and it seems green-white and red-black were being over drafted.  I got the steam vents first because there was nothing else worth first picking plus it's a shock land.  After the draft I wansn't sure about whether to I should have run teleportal or the dynacharge, but I figured I could use dynacharge defensively at least plus most of my creatures are not that big so getting a teleporal alpha strike seemed unlikely.  Probably should have played the second izzet charm, but I needed answers for big creatures (essance backlash and the explosive impact).  Trostani's seemed awkward due to lack of population targets (1/1 goblin doesn't count)

matches

1st round bye

2nd round

Against a good golgari deck.  He had a drege mangler and the scorpion and a stab wound and some beefy creatures.  he was also packing mind rots which were pretty scarry since I needed all my cards and even ditching lands was a blow with having to leave mana open to cast my counters.

First Game
basicly his dagerdom imp against my unblockable spirit.  He stab wounded my weird so I had to pump it to kill it.  he's widdleing me down to one and I land the sky watch to hold the ground and finally kill that imp.  I then get to slowly crawl back (thanks to azorious guildmage) he lands some ground guys that have resonable scavenge costs so getting rid of one of them makes the other bigger, thanks to street spasm I clear is board and some how pull off my best comeback ever in my year of playing limited.  Even my opponent was amazed and congradulated me on that one. 

Game 2
Played out similar I got him down to 4 but he was able to attack with more guys I could block with.  I had to izzet charm my splatter thug that got stab wounded, that really hurt.

Game 3
Imps in the air for him protecting his life total.  I'm able to stabilize around 7 after landing a sphynix to draw me some cards and gain me some life. then land a lobber crew.  the crew held down the ground and pinged for one.  Eventually I was at 2 he was at 8 I had an explosive impact in hand, so I lobber crewed him to 7 then explosive impact, then went to untap my lobber crew only to realize it says untaps with a multi colored spell.  Woops! so we are both at 2 and I go to my draw step, IZZET CHARM = two crew activations for the win.

That was the best matchs I've ever had, and it felt pretty sweet and my opponent was really cool about it (he ended up 2-1 with his deck)

Match 3

Playing an agro rakdos deck with a bunch of two drops and divent glee.  This guy was a bit of a jerk commenting on how I wasn't playing with sleaves and getting pissed because I played hover barier and he couldn't kill it.  He had fast starts but I was 2 for 1'ing him and his divent glee guys all day.  Goblin rally was actually pretty good in this match up to kill all the shread freaks he was pumping out.  Best of all I have 4 cards in hand 2 lands and a sphinx and the explosive impact in hand and he skull rends me.  I don't have enough open to cast my spells so its up to luck now.  I randomly hit the two lands, and I can tell he is pissed.  Next turn I sphinx for like 8 thanks to the electromancers and have to discard further pissing him off.  Both matches I stabalize around 8 life and he gets stopped and I can burn him out or attack in the air and lobber crew him to death.

I think the key to the izzet decks are the electromanceres and explosive impacts and other instant spells.  Also big defenders really help.  Lobber crew did a ton of damage.  Also I think you have to be comfortable playing at a low life total I was tempted to side in the tablet of guilds but I could never figure out when to play it plus having to draw it would suck.  All in all it was very fun to play so if your getting passed red and blue spells I recomend giving it a try.

If anyone has more experience running izzet decks let me know what you would have main decked or other under drafted cards that end up being really good in these decks. 
I would probably have thrown in the second Izzet charm and perhaps even the Trostani's Judgment, taking out the Inaction Injunction and perhaps Essence Backlash though those are both perfectly fine inclusions. The deck looks really solid.

I'd like to share my own experience with an Izzet deck I drafted yesterday which went 3-1 in matches, 7-2 in games (meaning; 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, 1-2). I probably punted the finals because I was playing against a friend and decided to keep a one-lander on the draw in game 2. Not a good idea, it turns out. We agreed that my deck was much better than his, but variance is a part of Magic too, right? I got second and he got first (his breakers would have given him like 4th or 5th if he had lost).

Here's the deck:
Creatures (15):
Judge's Familiar
Crosstown Courier
Frostburn Weird x 2
Goblin Electromancer x 3
Splatter Thug
Izzet Staticaster x 2
Runewing
Bloodfray Giant
Voidwielder x 2
Mercurial Chemister

Other Spells (8):
Civic Saber
Blustersquall
Annihilating Fire x 2
Essence Backlash
Pyreconvergence (11 multicolored spells in deck)
Thoughtflare
Street Spasm

Lands (17):
Island x 7
Mountain x 9
Transguild Promenade

... The deck played amazingly well: The five double-colored two-drops plus the Familiar made Civic Saber and Pyroconvergence extra-ordinarily good cards in the deck, and the good odds of getting an Electromancer down on turn two meant that I could often keep open Backlash/Staticaster on turn three on the play while attacking into an empty board. I predicted the deck might be having problems with evasion, but my best match-up was actually my R3 Azorius opponent; My Staticasters were unbeatable against his Soulsworn Spirits, Tower Drakes and Lyev Skyknights.

The Voidwielders were, well, a little unwieldy, but they gave the "tempo beats" part of the deck a good late-game, would be good against Selesnya (if I had mulliganned my 1-lander, at least) and provided great fodder for the Chemister to Axe the opponent a question. Annihilating Fire is obviously insane against Golgari and the reduction from Electromancer is not irrelevant even on the 1RR spell. At one point I had down all my three Electromancers as well as 7 lands - sadly, I did not draw my Street Spasm that game.

I should note that we were 9 people in the draft pod and it looked like I was the only Izzet drafter. The person to my immediate left was the only other Blue drafter and solidly in Azorius. He ended 3-1, losing only to me.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I saw one civic saber early in pack 1 and was hoping to wheel it.  It never came back and didn't see any others the rest of the draft.  Slapping one of those on my flying guild mage would have been sweet.  Your probably right about judgment.  With the electromancers I probalby would have been able to cast it for a discount, but it was in my splash color so I didn't want to dilute my mana further.

Which card sent you into izzet (guessing the chemister)?  Or were the cards just flowing? Because it seems to me everyone are avoiding Red-Blue multicolor spells like the plague.
I saw one civic saber early in pack 1 and was hoping to wheel it.  It never came back and didn't see any others the rest of the draft.  Slapping one of those on my flying guild mage would have been sweet.  Your probably right about judgment.  With the electromancers I probalby would have been able to cast it for a discount, but it was in my splash color so I didn't want to dilute my mana further.

Which card sent you into izzet (guessing the chemister)?  Or were the cards just flowing? Because it seems to me everyone are avoiding Red-Blue multicolor spells like the plague.

The Chemister actually came late, like 5th or 6th (the only other Blue drafter was immidiately to my left as I said, so no-one wanted it before me - it was in first or third pack, can't remember. Probably 3rd).

My first pick ended in my sideboard; it was a Righteous Authority, but my Izzet Staticasters came around like 2nd and 5th(!) and I just picked them up and went into Izzet. I had 8-11 fine-to-excellent Blue and Blue/White cards in my board but I felt this build was the best (heavy red for double Fires).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I saw one civic saber early in pack 1 and was hoping to wheel it.

Tip: Never expect playable colorless spells to wheel.

I saw one civic saber early in pack 1 and was hoping to wheel it.

Tip: Never expect playable colorless spells to wheel.

Also, "early pack 1" = The time to pick up the Saber. I'd only take the very best commons, the superior uncommons and the powerful rares over it. It's definitely a better pick-up than Paralyzing Grasp or the like and I might even take it over Trostani's Judgment, Gore-House Chainwalker or Azorius Charm.
I've enjoyed the Faerie Imposter/Voidwielder combo, even if it is a bit mana intensive.
I've enjoyed the Faerie Imposter/Voidwielder combo, even if it is a bit mana intensive.

Hey, Capsize is in a lot of cubes.