Sorceress build help

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, i had a couple questions, and would love some advice.

I am making a sorcerous for an upcoming game, and i wanted to focus the build around the feat sorcerous blade channeling.

The build i was thinking about was fire elementalist>white lotus teacher mc rogue...? I just love that with my numbers at level 1 i could do a max 27 damage thru my daggers as a melee

Question is tho, what is the best way to exploit this feat? I like the tentative build i have, but would a regular sorc be better? I dont care about the bells and whistles the reg comes with, i chose the elementalist because the lack of options will help me with my roleplaying...but id love to hear opinions on the matter

For the record, (haven seen them in a couple weeks) my numbers i think are 18, 17, 15, 15, 14, 11... I think. We roll numbers an the dm swaps one out for an 18. Not normal i know but im not complaining...cept about my friend who rolled crazy good.

Anyway, id love to hear experiences with the feat, build ideas, other options, whatever. Thanks!

Nothing but the rain.

Hey all, i had a couple questions, and would love some advice.

I am making a sorcerous for an upcoming game, and i wanted to focus the build around the feat sorcerous blade channeling.

The build i was thinking about was fire elementalist>white lotus teacher mc rogue...? I just love that with my numbers at level 1 i could do a max 27 damage thru my daggers as a melee

Question is tho, what is the best way to exploit this feat? I like the tentative build i have, but would a regular sorc be better? I dont care about the bells and whistles the reg comes with, i chose the elementalist because the lack of options will help me with my roleplaying...but id love to hear opinions on the matter

For the record, (haven seen them in a couple weeks) my numbers i think are 18, 17, 15, 15, 14, 11... I think. We roll numbers an the dm swaps one out for an 18. Not normal i know but im not complaining...cept about my friend who rolled crazy good.

Anyway, id love to hear experiences with the feat, build ideas, other options, whatever. Thanks!

It is kind of difficult to say what the real benefit of Sorcerous Blade Channeling is. BASICALLY at a first approximation it allows you to do something that doesn't really matter (IE making a spell melee instead of ranged). I think the original concept was just to let a CON based sorc use their ranged/area powers even when at melee range and avoid OAs.

The problem is there are just not a lot of compelling reasons to make an attack into a melee attack. MOST feats that grant added benefits for using a weapon work regardless of which type of attack you're using and dagger is already a weapon. OTOH the ones that would be REALLY good, are mostly requiring a 'weapon' attack, and SBC doesn't turn your attacks into weapon attacks, it just makes them melee attacks. The upshot is there's no real significant optimization potential for SBC. It is a usable feat and some sorcs do pick it up if you want to create a rather 'in your face' type high CON build.

The White Lotus feats can be useful. White Lotus Defense isn't bad, though not killer (usually someone else will be getting the hits back, though again for an 'in your face' type build it would make more sense). White Lotus Riposte is a good power, but like any of these 'debuff to attack me' things usually the result is the enemy goes after someone else. Now, if you hybrid with PALADIN, you can make it a catch-22 (slap the guy with a DC/DS and he's taking damage no matter who he attacks). The White Lotus Master Riposte can also be leveraged to get some extra attacks, always a good thing.

As an elementalist CHA and CON are your big stats. You can hybrid with various classes, but Paladin usually comes up as the natural choice. It is pretty easy to get a sword to work as an implement too (AIP swordmage's light and heavy blades as implements proficiency). Then Sorcerous Blade Channeling will let you use Elemental Bolt as a melee attack. It should be a reasonably optimal character. Sorc/Elementalist are not the most tweakable classes, but they're solid and the catch-22 with White Lotus Repost isn't half bad.

As a straight sorcerer, you're pretty limited these days. Sorcs have little for good paragon paths and only mediocre feat support. Since PHB2 basically wizards have gotten tons of new toys and Sorcs have gotten diddly, plus their good PP options were closed down by errata. The truth is a Firesoul Genasi Mage pyromaniac evoker build will hand any possible sorcerer its pants without even trying at this point. Still, they're a good middle-of-the-road level capable class, and being Genasi doesn't hurt. Some of the HotEC feats are probably good news too. The Elementalist straight up looks pretty vanilla. It is pretty much the ranged cousin of the Slayer, nothing but massive damage output, period. I don't see much way to enhance it beyond the usual expertise, focus, and maybe WL feats, etc. It will kill things, but it won't do ANYTHING else.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Wait, i can hybrid the elementalist?

Thanks for the info/advice too, im at work ill read it ina bit

Nothing but the rain.

The primary benefit, IMHO, of Sorcerous Blade Channeling is that it lets you avoid OpAttacks if someone's in your face.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Oh, yeah, that IS nice. I think the build i had written up is decent, yeah its all atwills, but the white lotus master paragon make those atwill much crazier.

My character is very swashbuckly, and good with daggers. I want to be a striker & a caster, so the elementalist fits nicely. I just want also to be able to fight im melee- im a smuggler with my own lil ship and i anticipate fighting on the deck.

Nothing but the rain.

I give SBC to all my Sorcerers because you can't always count on staying out of melee range.

It's always funny to see the look on the DM's face, especially if they are not used to seeing SBC, when they think they have got your sorcerer cornered or flanked or whatever and your character unleashes a nasty spell with a melee attack.

Also, check into the duel Implement feat, it's very much worth having. You won't be sorry you took it!  When you read its description you'll see why!

Good Luck!!!
Wait, i can hybrid the elementalist? Thanks for the info/advice too, im at work ill read it ina bit

No, you can't Hybrid the Elementalist.

AbdulAlhazred has no idea what he's talking about in most of his post, sorcerer's are fantastic strikers. Elementalists on the other hand, being limited to their at-will powers and not getting Encounter or Daily attacks, kinda suck.

You also cannot apply multiple White Lotus feats at the same time, except the Masters of each type
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

Also, check into the duel Implement feat, it's very much worth having. You won't be sorry you took it!  When you read its description you'll see why!

Yes, DI is mandatory, but only at paragon.  It starts out at very red [if that] and gains a better color grade with each additional feat choice.  It will be around 8th level before it reaches the top of your feat choices.
    You need 2 +2 implements to make it a good choice.  It is only a boost to damage [which you are not going to turn down of course, but..]  First you need to improve your to hit, your glass cannon status needs some attention, and ...  And you may not pick up the 2nd implement you need to get any good out of the feat until 4th or 5th level.  Just terrible for the low heroic.  Even for the mid heroic, weapon focus is a better immediate choice.
     Now once you do get that 2nd +2 implement, you want DI and will deem it your best feat when you get the paragon +3s and +4s.  We'd likely consider the epic PC without it unplayable, but that is the far future reached by only a few.  For the first level, DI is junk and not worth considering.
Sign In to post comments