Elf Ranger/Stormwarden

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heya!

This is my first 4th edition character that i have made, could be some mistakes in the build, and i'm seeking advice and help to make him better.
I can't use any Dragon Magazine stuff. He is a STR/DEX Stormwarden Ranger, Pit Fighter was another option i was contemplating but decided that i wanted a STR/DEX build. He is our partys scout with Stealth and a background that adds +2 to Thievery. Our party is : Paladin, Shaman, Sorcerer, Psion and Ranger.

For feats i was also thinking of these: Lasting Frost + Wintertouched, Man-At-Arms, Blade Opportunist, Hunter's Advantage, Brutal Accuracy, Elven Precision, Defensive Advantage, Heavy Blade Opportunity, Triumphant Attack, Epic Resurgence and Two-Weapon Flurry. I'm not quite sure about the feats that would optimize my character and which order to take them. Same goes with powers.

Thank you in advance of your help and advice!

Race : Elf
Class : Ranger
Paragon path : Stormwarden
Epic Destiny : Deadly Trickster
Background : Cormyr (Wheloon)

Starting Stats :
16 STR, 13 CON, 14 (+2 Elf) DEX, 8 INT, 14 (+2 Elf) WIS, 10 CHA
Final Stats :
24 STR, 15 CON, 24 DEX, 10 INT, 18 WIS, 12 CHA

Initiative : 24
Movement : 7 
AC : 46  Fort : 36  Ref : 36  Will : 32 (Elderhide +6)
HP : 187  Surges per Day : 8

Skills :

Trained : Athletics 27, Dungeoneering 24, Nature 26, Perception 26, Stealth 27
Others : Acrobatics 22, Heal 19, Endurance 17, Insight 19, Thievery 24

Feats : 

Race : Wild Step, Group Awareness
Class : Toughness, Hunter's Quarry, Running Attack

1. Quick Draw
2. Two-Weapon Fighting
4. Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades / Man-At-Arms
6. Two-Weapon Defence
8. Heavy Blade Expertise
10. Lethal Hunter
----
11. Armor Specialization: Hide
12. Scimitar Dance
14. Danger Sense
16. Seize the Moment
18. Two-Weapon Opening
20. Devastating Critical 
----
21. Improved Defenses
22. Evasion
24. Heavy Blade Mastery
26. Martial Mastery
28. Rending Tempest
30. Slashing Storm

Powers : (W= At-Will, E= Encounter, D= Daily, U= Utility)

Race : Elven Accuracy (E)

1. Twin-Strike (W), Hit and Run (W), Off-Hand Strike (E), Jaws of the Wolf (D)
2. Yield Ground (U)
3. Disruptive Strike (E)
5. Frenzied Skirmish (D)
6. Serpentine Dodge (U)
7. Claws of the Griffon (E)
9. Attacks on the Run (D)
10. Shed the Mark (U)
----
11. Blade Storm (Stormwarden), Stormstep Action (Stormwarden), Clearing the Ground (Stormwarden E)
12. Throw Caution to the Wind (Stormwarden U/Stance)
13. Replace Off-Hand Strike (E) -> Off-Hand Diversion (E)
15. Replace Jaws of the Wolf (D) -> Blade Cascade (D)
16. Evade the Blow (U), Twin-Blade Storm (Stormwarden)
17. Replace Disruptive Strike (E) -> Untamed Outburst (E)
19. Replace Frenzied Skirmish (D) -> Cruel Cage of Steel (D)
20. Cold Steel Hurricane (Stormwarden D)
----
21. Sly Fortune's Favor (Deadly Trickster)
22. Adamant Recovery (U)
23. Replace Claws of the Griffon (E) -> Nonchalant Collapse (E)
24. Trickster's Control (Deadly Trickster)
25. ----
26. Epic Trick (Deadly Trickster U)
27. Replace Off-Hand Diversion (E) -> Death Rend (E)
28. ----
29. Replace Attacks on the Run (D) -> Follow-up Blow (D)
30. Trickster's Disposition (Deadly Trickster)

Edit 1 : Made few changes to the build. V.2 can be found at page 2, post 12# 
Are you locked into playing an Elf? If you want to play STR/DEX, a Half-Orc is a better choice. Put 18 into STR and DEX (after racial adjustments) and a 13 into WIS. Take the Weapon Proficiency for Bastard Swords and carry two. Minor action attacks are your friends. Do not let them go lightly. Check out the Ranger handbook and do what LDB tells you.
Also, take Ultimate Confrontation at 29. Also, choose a better ED. Like Destined Scion or something. Beg, borrow and steal for Called Shot and Prime Punisher in Paragon.
Yeah, race is elf and we can't use dragon magazine stuff. Prime shot feat line would be great otherwise. Destined Scion is Demigod ED, right? I was contemplating it but to me it just seems that Deadly Trickster has more to offer, althought the increase in two ability scores by two would be great + the healing + regaining encounter power. 

Which book has Ultimate Confrontation?

Any thoughts about the feats or powers? Which should i exchange to something other if any?
Destined Scion is a new ED in the first Essentials book.  Basically pretty flavorless but great.  +2 to two stats, and a +1 to hit that comes in later.  The Utility power is, IIRC, "once a day, you rolled a 20".

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Destined Scion is a new ED in the first Essentials book.  Basically pretty flavorless but great.  +2 to two stats, and a +1 to hit that comes in later.  The Utility power is, IIRC, "once a day, you rolled a 20".

Kinda like Kensei.  Bland, but mechanically hard to top unless you have some particular bit of cheese to enhance by the features of something different.

Tac Warpriest > Kensei IMO

And I don't really like Ultimate Confrontation. It sounds nice in theory, but if you're gonna nova a target, there are better options. 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
If Ultimate Confrontation doesn't work for you, there's also Five Missle Dance. I believe it's in one of the 'Martial Power' books. For feats, I'd again suggest the Ranger Hanbook as I'm by no means a Ranger expert.
 community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
If Ultimate Confrontation doesn't work for you, there's also Five Missle Dance. I believe it's in one of the 'Martial Power' books. For feats, I'd again suggest the Ranger Hanbook as I'm by no means a Ranger expert.
 community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Five missile would be a great choice for ranged but alas the OP is melee.
Hmm. I thought he (or she) was going STR/DEX. My bad.
Hmm. I thought he (or she) was going STR/DEX. My bad.

They are but the power is Dex based and Ranged Weapon. The Op is going, so far as i've seen, with the Heavyblade route.
Thank you for your answers and advices!

Yes, i think i'm going with scimitars but an argument can be maybe for Bastard swords. If choosing bastard swords, scimitar dance would be the feat that changes to bastard sword profiency. 1d8 & High Crit & Scimitar Dance feat vs 1d10 + profiency feat. (Hope i didn't forget something here) 

I made some changes to the build, few feats and powers. I also looked again at the epic destinys and decided to change it to one of the three of these : Demigod, Destined Scion or Indomitable Champion. I'm just not quite sure which one would be the best for this build. I'm leaning over to either Demigod or Destined Scion. 

Demigod would offer me half my HP recovery once per day, regeneration once per day per encounter and a way to recover an encounter power when i have echausted them all.
Destined Scion would offer me +1 to attack & +2 to saves, twice my healing surge value heal when 0 or fewer HP as daily power and a daily power that allows me to hit if i miss.
Indomitable Champion offers 20 HP & +1 to saves, drop to 0 or fewer HP -> regain HP for your healing surge value & +5 to all defences until end of next turn.
All offer +2 to 2 stats (STR & DEX in this case).

I have bolded the unsure feats & powers.

Version 2

Race : Elf
Class : Ranger
Paragon path : Stormwarden
Epic Destiny : Indomitable Champion / Demigod / Destined Scion
Background : Cormyr (Wheloon)

Starting Stats :
16 STR, 13 CON, 14 (+2 Elf) DEX, 8 INT, 14 (+2 Elf) WIS, 10 CHA
Final Stats :
26 STR, 15 CON, 26 DEX, 10 INT, 18 WIS, 12 CHA

Initiative : 30
Movement : 7 
AC : 49  Fort : 38  Ref : 39  Will : 33 (Elderhide +6, +3 Elven Chain Shirt (Wondorous Item))
HP : 187  Surges per Day : 8

Skills :

Trained : Athletics 28, Dungeoneering 24, Nature 26, Perception 26, Stealth 28
Others : Acrobatics 23, Heal 19, Endurance 17, Insight 19, Thievery 25

Feats : 

Race : Wild Step, Group Awareness
Class : Toughness, Hunter's Quarry, Running Attack

1. Quick Draw
2. Heavy Blade Expertise
4. Two-Weapon Fighting
6. Two-Weapon Defence
8. Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades
10. Wintertouched
----
11. Armor Specialization: Hide
12. Lasting Frost
14. Scimitar Dance
16. Devastating Critical
18. Two-Weapon Opening
20. Lethal Hunter
----
21. Heavy Blade Mastery
22. Improved Defenses
24. Evasion / Epic Resurgency
26. Martial Mastery
28. Rending Tempest
30. Slashing Storm

Powers : (W= At-Will, E= Encounter, D= Daily, U= Utility)

Race : Elven Accuracy (E)

1. Twin-Strike (W), Marauder’s Rush (W), Off-Hand Strike (E), Jaws of the Wolf (D)
2. Invigorating Stride (U)
3. Ruffling Sting / Disruptive Strike (E)
5. Frenzied Skirmish (D)
6. Weave Through the Fray (U)
7. Claws of the Griffon (E)
9. Attacks on the Run (D)
10. Root Gate / Begin the Hunt / Resume The Hunt (U)
----
11. Blade Storm (Stormwarden), Stormstep Action (Stormwarden), Clearing the Ground (Stormwarden E)
12. Throw Caution to the Wind (Stormwarden U/Stance)
13. Replace Off-Hand Strike (E) -> Off-Hand Diversion (E)
15. Replace Jaws of the Wolf (D) -> Blade Cascade (D)
16. Ranger’s Parry / Begin the Hunt / Resume the Hunt (U), Twin-Blade Storm (Stormwarden)
17. Replace Disruptive Strike (E) -> Untamed Outburst (E)
19. Replace Frenzied Skirmish (D) -> Cruel Cage of Steel (D)
20. Cold Steel Hurricane (Stormwarden D)
----
21. Epic Heroism / Divine Spark, +2 to STR & DEX (Indomitable Champion / Destined Scion / Demigod)
22. Adamant Recovery (U)
23. Replace Claws of the Griffon (E) -> Nonchalant Collapse (E)
24. Epic Resilience : +20 HP & +1 to saves (Indomitable Champion) / Divine Recovery (Demigod) / Epic Combantant: +1 to hit & 2 to to saves (Destined Scion)
25. ----
26. Epic Tenacity (Indomitable Champion) / Divine Regeneration (Demigod) / Epic Recovery (Destined Scion)
27. Replace Off-Hand Diversion (E) -> Death Rend (E)
28. ----
29. Replace Attacks on the Run (D) -> Weave a Web of Steel / Ultimate Confrontation (D)
30. Unmatched Defense (Indomitable Champion) / Divine Miracle (Demigod) / Undeniable Victory (Destined Scion)

I also made a list for the equipment, not sure if these are the ones to get as i haven't studied much of the equipment books.

Armor : +6 Elderhide
Weapons : +6 Frost Scimitars, +6 Longbow
Bracers : Iron Armbands of Power
Feet : Boots of Teleportation
Hands : Gloves of Ice
Head : Eye of Awareness
Neck : Torc of Power Preservation
Ring : Ring of Free Time
Ring : Shadow Band
Waist : Belt of Titan Strenght
Wondorous Item : Elven Chain Shirt 

I would drop Con, depending how new/experienced, kind/rough you DM is to boost Wis or Dex that extra point.

What is your starting level, because I would not recommend those feats if you start in heroic. 

Not sure what your limitations are, but woodelves are pretty darn good as a racial choice
We started at level 1 and have cumulated enough xp to level to 2. I haven't done the leveling yet as i have now 2 weeks time before our next session. Woodelf would be good option but we don't have access to it.

I agree that it would be nice to start with 18 dex or 18 wis but then i would have to put 1 level up point to con to get Armor Specialization Hide (req 15 con), as it negates the -1 penalty to skills and gives me +1 AC, thus leaving me with either 25 str or 27 dex. 18 wis would give me more mileage from the combo below and 18 dex more damage with scimitar dance and stormwarden.

I was also contemplation the Armor Splinter + Blade Cascade combo.. Would it be worth it as my wis mod will be +4 in the final score, +3 when i would get Armor Splinter? And if so which of the encounter powers i should retrain it for? All three of them are kinda hard to loose, for me at least.ra

Which feats you had in mind? And after Heroic, retrain them back to those that are in the build or keep them?
My .02 on the matter.
18 str/13+2 dex/ 13+2 wis.
Predator's Hide over Armor Specialization.
Bastard Sword Prof over Quick Draw(1d10, +3 proficiency for Bastard Swords vs. 1d8 high crit, +2 prof for scimitars).
Begin the Hunt(utility 2) over Weave through the fray.
Best i could do without digging further and i'm not all that into it.