nivmagus elemental

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
How large can I make nivmagus elemental? Can I exile an instant or sorcery any time while this creature is in play?
Ex. I declare an attack with nivmagus elemental who is a 3/4 creature from an earlier instant card exiled from my hand. He chooses/declates to block with a 5/5 wurm token. Then can I sacrifice a 2nd sorcery card in my hand to pump nivmagus elemental to 5/6? And if I do this, can this action be countered?
How large can I make nivmagus elemental? Can I exile an instant or sorcery any time while this creature is in play? Ex. I declare an attack with nivmagus elemental who is a 3/4 creature from an earlier instant card exiled from my hand. He chooses/declates to block with a 5/5 wurm token. Then can I sacrifice a 2nd sorcery card in my hand to pump nivmagus elemental to 5/6? And if I do this, can this action be countered?

You can make it as big as you want, but you can only exile a spell that is on the stack.  Cards in your hand are not spells and can't be exiled by the Elemental.

Nivmagus Elemental can't exile cards from your hand.

When you "cast a spell," that card goes into a zone called the stack. Spells exist only on the stack. In your hand, there are sorcery cards, instant cards, creature cards etc, but there are not instants or sorceries.

Nivmagus's ability essentially lets him counter your own spells to get bigger.

As for the rest of your question: You can activate it anytime you control an instant or sorcery spell (which means you have to cast one first).

His ability can be countered by anything that counters activated abilities.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

In this instance, not with a sorcery no.  You can only exile Instants and Sorceries you control, and you only control them while on the stack.  Since you can't normally cast sorceries during the combat phase (unless something tells you that you can), you wouldn't be able to cast, and then exile a sorcery to do that.

Now, if you had an instant, then you'd be fine.