Looking to make a Golgari Themed deck

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to Magic. I used to play in the Portal era but took an extremely long vacation from it to raise my kids and start up college funds. I'm back now and only play kitchen table style casually with my two sons, which are new to Magic. I've always been a fan of Green and Black, so the Golgari seem like the perfect fit. I don't have a large budget so I need cards that are fairly easy to get. I am looking to buy more packs of Return to Ravnica to help get more cards. There's really no restrictions other than my budget. I'm thinking about $50-70 tops. I do have some cards already that might work in the deck but I've never really built deck before that utilizes the Creature/Graveyard style of the Golgari. Here's what I have that I think might work. I would appreciate any help on what you think needs to be in the deck, what doesn't work, and what I should get. Thanks.

These are the cards I think fit the theme. I don't need an immensely strong, tournament style deck but I do want it to be competitive, and fit the style of the Golgari. I would love to get a Vraska the Unseen for the deck. Hopefully, I can pull one since I probably can't afford one anytime soon. If possible, just let me know what you think should or would work and why. Remember, I'm kinda new and am still trying to figure out all the new mechanics. Thanks guys and girls.
Dredge Cards like Maybe Life From the Loam or Golgari Grave-Troll are effective to get cards in your graveyard easier to power up Boneyard Wurm and Jarad. Corpsejack Menace will really help out your Scavenge cards. As well as Wild Beastmaster or Champion of Lambholt to make it easier for attackers. Maybe a Tormented Soul that you can Scavenge to make a strong unblockable creature. All fo these cards are cheap or are in the new Golgari Duel Deck or Intro Deck.
For some reason my post didn't autocard everything and I can't edit it for some reason, so I'll repost the card list here:

Jarad, Golgari Lich Lordx1
Savra, Queen of the Golgarix2
Golgari Thugx4
Boneyard Wurmx4
Golgari Longlegsx1
Golgari Charmx2
Deadbridge Goliathx4
Golgari Guildmagex4
Also a few Deathrite Shaman's or Slitherhead's. If your lucky a Worldspine Wurm or Vraska.
Cards with a high dredge count and decent stats like Stinkweed Imp and Golgari Grave Troll are good. You can use cards like Wild Mongrel, Fauna Shaman, Tortured Existence, and Lotleth Troll to throw cards into your graveyard and do something else useful. Then there are madness cards like Basking Rootwalla and Grave Scrabbler that love to be discarded. Finally it's nice to have cards that are useful both in and out of your graveyard like Dreg Mangler, Vengevine, and Extractor Demon.
Oh, and even though it doesn't fit the theme directly, Putrid Leech is pretty much a staple of creature decks.
Those are some good choices. I just have a quick question.
How do I keep from running out of cards in my library if I'm using the Dredge mechanic and discarding everything?
Is there a way to get my graveyard back into my library if I face a mill type deck?
Those are some good choices. I just have a quick question.
How do I keep from running out of cards in my library if I'm using the Dredge mechanic and discarding everything?
Is there a way to get my graveyard back into my library if I face a mill type deck?

One way is the very old feldon's cane which can be found online for very cheap...there is a ton of more recent cards that can shuffle up the graveyard. If you arent trying to stick with the newest cards the shards of alara block had alot of g/b cards that would fit into your deck and are very powerful. Since that series isnt standard anymore they seem to be very inexpensive save a few. 
Loaming Shaman is probably what you're looking for, as it shuffles your graveyard into your deck AND can get counters placed upon it.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Ideally, what do you guys think would be the best 1 drop for this kind of deck?
I've never been a fan of sitting around on my turn with nothing to do. I want this to be an aggressive deck to a degree. I want to be able to do 1-2 things minimum per turn.
Ideally, what do you guys think would be the best 1 drop for this kind of deck?
I've never been a fan of sitting around on my turn with nothing to do. I want this to be an aggressive deck to a degree. I want to be able to do 1-2 things minimum per turn.

Putrid Imp.

As soon as it's in play, you can discard as many cards to the graveyard as you like.

I guess I can go with Putrid Imp, Deathrite Shaman(if I can pull any) and a couple Slitherhead for some quick drops.
Ideally, what do you guys think would be the best 1 drop for this kind of deck? I've never been a fan of sitting around on my turn with nothing to do. I want this to be an aggressive deck to a degree. I want to be able to do 1-2 things minimum per turn.

Tortured Existence, Basking Rootwalla, Cabal Therapy.
Would Mitotic Slime work for a deck like this?
I figure I can sac it, put out more tokens that I can sac again for even more tokens to sac again.
What do you guys think of the Slime as a 4 of?
I recently got to play against a pretty good standard Golgari deck, he used [C]Corpsejack Menace[/C]
pretty effectively with [C]Lotleth Troll[/C] and [C]Death's Presence[/C]. If you can manage to afford
stacking [C]Death's Presence[/C] with the scavenge ability, it can be devestating especially if
[C]Corpsejack Menace[/C] is on the field.
What do you guys think about a card like Splinterfright being added as a 1-2 of in the deck?
Hello JSaint226, I haven't looked into your Golgari decks, but as I was reading your introduction post, I just had an idea for you and your sons in terms of gameplay.
I suggest buying a playset of uncommons + commons (well, I may already be too late since you have cards already, but still, maybe this can help you when Gatecrash comes out). Anyway yeah, why do I suggest that? Because it's not very aggressive on the budget (for 30+ you get to build A LOT of decent decks, which you can make "kitchen table competitive" (if that even makes sense lol)).
And buy off the remaining rares.
-
PS : Sorry if that was uncalled for, but I just thought of that when I read your introduction
-
Oh and I have messed with the Golgari on RtR a bit, and I find the interaction between Grisly Salvage and Treasured Find great (they're good on their own, but together they're even better). Add in Mulch and some dredge cards and I think that your deck's ready to roll with those Boneyard Wurms and Splinterfrights if that's the kind of deck you're aiming for.
Those are some great ideas and I don't take offense at all. It actually makes sense to go the common/uncommon plays route and just pick up certain cards as needed. Thank you.
As far as the deck is concerned, I'm putting together a preliminary decklist to get some feedback. I'll have it posted by the end of the day. Let me know what you think when its up. Thanks again.
Ok this is what I'm thinking as a preliminary decklist. I'm still working on getting some of these cards. Let me know what you guys think.

[deck]CREATURES

Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord x2
Savra, Queen of the Golgari x2
Boneyard Wurm x4
Splinterfright x2
Deadbridge Goliath x4
Corpsejack Menace x4
Deathrite Shaman x2
Loaming Shaman x2
Putrid Leech x2

SPELLS/ENCHANTMENT

Death's Presence x2
Grisly Salvage x4
Treasured Find x4
Mulch x2
Golgari Charm x2

LANDS

Golgari Guildgate x3
Swamp x10
Forest x9
Ok this is what I'm thinking as a preliminary decklist. I'm still working on getting some of these cards. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm very skeptical about this. You have lots of Corpsejack Menace, but your deck is not "entirely" revolved around +1/+1 counters. You're doing 2 things at the same time (counters + grave tricks).
So I say you choose either one of those and build around that mechanic.
I'm especially referring to Boneyard Wurm and Splinterfright. Nothing against those cards, they're great, but as I've said, you're trying their mechanic AND the +1/+1 thing, which makes your deck go 2 different directions.
On paper it may seem "Hey, why not". But more often than not, you'll find yourself in the situation where you have a lot of cards going for a certain mechanic, but not enough for the other one.
you'll find yourself in the situation where you have a lot of cards going for a certain mechanic, but not enough for the other one.

I've been playing around with a golgari deck and I have found this to be true. Also note that you have no removal outside of golgari charm (which is extremely narrow),  Boneyard Wurm especially has often been disappointing to me, it is not a turn two play, does not synergize well with scavenge, and even if you get a 4/4 or 6/6 for 2 in the later parts of the game it is often not enough without trample. 
Also a number of the phyrexian cards from scars block work well in a golgari deck. Specifically Viridian Emissary, Bonehoard and Glissa, the Traitor
Also worth considering for the graveyard centric build of the deck (that focuses less on scavenge, and more on boneyard, splinterfright, etc) are creatures that can act as spells, especially removal such as Shriekmaw
What if I do....
CREATURES

I don't understand why my post isn't autocarding. I used [ deck] [/deck ] without the spaces before and after the decklist. Am I doing something wrong?
There are cards in your deck that I don't know, and I'm kinda lazy now so bare with me xD
-
Hmm....what about 4 Grisly Salvage and 2 Treasure Find instead of 3/3? I think it's better to have 4 Grisly Salvage since it's some sort of "tutor". You can also remove Treasured Find altogether (I know I'm the one who pointed out that card, but I don't know, it was basically for "the fun" of that spell, but not it's effectiveness, you decide )
Death's Presence is a great card, in ideal situations it does real work. But sometimes it's kind of a win-more card, so if there's something you really need (suggested by other players or cards YOU want in, you could replace those).
-
Oh and I love the 4 Dreg Manglers you've added :D. I'm a huge fan of that card. It's just soooo much value 3cmc 3/3 haste, scavangeable when dead, really cool!!
I am experimenting with the Golgari as well; I like Treasured Find in my take since I rely heavily on Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Corpsejack Menace. If you, Dabok, and Jsaint rely on a certain card/cards for your wincon, the Find is a great card. It adds efficiency to Grisly Salvage.

You might consider Llanowar Elves for some mana acceleration. It'll speed up your players and can be sac'd to Savra after it loses its use.
Hmm, now you've convinced me that Treasured Find is indeed a very useful card, especially for the reason you've just said.
I think 3 of that is the magic number, since you won't want 4of (which means every time) but enough copies to have a chance to have it when needed.
But yeah, definitely 4 Grisly Salvage, since that card's good to have in almost any situation.
I went to NYCC this past Saturday and decided to buy a couple packs of RTR. It must've been my lucky day because I ended up pulling a Vraska the Unseen and a Lotleth Troll. I would love to incorporate them into the deck somehow but I'm not sure what to remove.
Any suggestions on what changes I should make?
I'm leaning towards this decklist. Let me know what you guys think.

CREATURES
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lordx2
Savra, Queen of the Golgarix2
Lotleth Trollx1
Dreg Manglerx4
Deadbridge Goliathx4
Loaming Shamanx2
Splinterfrightx2
Putrid Leechx2
Corpsejack Menacex2
Mortivorex1

Vraska the Unseenx1

SPELLS/ENCHANTMENTS
Death's Presencex1
Grisly Salvagex3
Treasured Findx3
Mulchx2
Golgari Charmx2
Doom Bladex4

LANDS
Swampx10
Forestx9
Golgari Guildgatex2
Overgrown Tombx1

I would love to know what you guys think. I still have another 2x Corpsejack Menace, 4x Boneyard Wurm, Golgari Thugx4 and others I can work with. Maybe there's a card I missed that should be in here. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Now that you've linked Loaming Shaman, I guess it's time for that to get ditched. I mean, I do not see him as being effective in your deck...
So, up to you to add those Golgari Thugs in.
Also, your mana curve's kinda big, so consider adding some lands in there.
I would consider looking for a B/G creature with Lifelink, as it is extremely synergistic with the Scavenge mechanic.  It can be very hard to die if the pumped creature isn't removed. 
Builds and Guides The Cosmonaut a build that teleports foes into space. November Errata Item Guide a guide to equipping Avengers and Strikers after the November errata. 100% Crit Rate Ardent Champion an Avenger combo that autocrits and/or inflicts infinite damage at level 11.
Would Daggerdrome Imo or Child of Night work better than the Loaming Shaman?
You probably want to go with the Imp since he has evasion.
I think I'll try the Imps and see how the deck flows. I have a couple more cards I'm waiting for then I'll playtest the deck this weekend.
I'm up for any more suggestions if you guys come up with anything good.
Ok, so after about 6 games with the deck yesterday, here's out it did. I went 4-2 with it. I won against another Golgari deck 3 times and an Izzet deck once. My 2 losses came against another Izzet deck and a W Soldier deck. Against the Soldier deck, I truly had no chance of winning. My deck felt really slow and by the time it got moving, the game was pretty much over.
I need a way to speed up the deck without changing the concept too much. Any suggestions?
Anyone put there that can give me some insight?
Some decks are much harder to speed up then others. For this deck I think good swing cards might be the best way to do it. Against a soldier swarm, a board wipe card like Damnation (if you have the money) or cheaper cards like Infest might do the trick to send them on the back footing. And yes, lifelink on a big creature can REALLY seal the deal. Also, the best thing I think about Golgari is that they can shrug off death so easy. Barter in Blood would be a great choice too.

One thing that is bothering me a tad about your list is Savra. You have no sacrifice cards in your deck. Remember, she doesn't triggering off just dieing, but SACRIFICES. Besides flavor, she's pretty much useless. Now, if you DO go down the Barter in Blood path, she'll do better. 

Another note here, if you continue to use Jarad, Splinterfright and/or the Bone Wurm, always look for creatures that can do the job of your spells. Shriekmaw in replace of Doomblade (unless you face a lot of artifacts. Slum Reaper over Barter in Blood even! When in doubt, IMO, creatures that have a similar effect beat instants/sorceries 9/10 in these kind of decks. 
How does this look?

CREATURES

I removed the 2x Savra, 2x Loaming Shaman and the 4x Doom Blade. I added in 2x Shriekmaw(which I can probably play for the Evoke cost in a pinch), 3x Infest for a weenie board wipe and 3x Golgari Keyrune that I can use as mana ramp or as a chump blocker to remove a nasty attacking creature.

Any thoughts?
Anyone out there?
I like the changes. Didn't think of the Keyrune, that's a nice little number. Go out and play some more and tell us about your conquests! That'll help us give better suggestions.
Sign In to post comments