Epic Experiment, Overload, and Flashback

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How does cards with a mana cost of X and/or overload work with Epic Experiment ?  And also can overload work with flashback?

Thanks
Also, Goblin Electromancer , does his effect still work with flashback and Epic Experiment .  And does his effect work with X costs?

Thanks
How does cards with a mana cost of X and/or overload work with Epic Experiment?

If you cast a spell without paying its mana cost, the only legal choice for X is 0. You cannot pay alternative costs such as overload costs.
And also can overload work with flashback?

If you cast a spell with flashback, you must pay its flashback cost. You cannot cast it for its overload cost.
Also, Goblin Electromancer, does his effect still work with flashback and Epic Experiment. And does his effect work with X costs?

If you cast a spell for its flashback cost, Goblin Electromancer reduces the total cost by . If you cast a spell with X in its mana cost, first you choose the value of X, then Goblin Electromancer reduces the total cost by .
From RtR FAQ

Epic Experiment * If you cast a card “without paying its mana cost,” you can’t pay alternative costs such as overload costs. You can pay additional costs such as kicker costs. If the card has mandatory additional costs, you must pay those. * If a card has {X} in its mana cost, you must choose 0 as its value.

so it cant pay for the overload cost and x is 0. Only additional cost can (must) be paid.

For the other question, Are you gonna use this to cast this? unfortunately, it would not work. As per The Gatherer:

"You can’t pay other alternative costs of a card you’re casting from your graveyard using flashback. For example, if the instant or sorcery has an overload cost, you can’t pay that cost. "

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
How does cards with a mana cost of X and/or overload work with Epic Experiment?

If you cast a spell without paying its mana cost, the only legal choice for X is 0.

If you cast a spell with flashback, you must pay its flashback cost. You cannot cast it for its overload cost.
Also, Goblin Electromancer, does his effect still work with flashback and Epic Experiment. And does his effect work with X costs?

If you cast a spell for its flashback cost, Goblin Electromancer reduces the total cost by . If you cast a spell with X in its mana cost, first you choose a value for X, then Goblin Electromancer reduces the total cost by .

yes it can reduce the X amount.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
How does cards with a mana cost of X and/or overload work with Epic Experiment ?

They don't. For spells with X in the cast you may only choose X=0. Overload is an alternate cost and so is the effect of Epic Experiment and you can't have two alternate costs.

no, flashback is also an alternate cost and you can't have two.
Also, Goblin Electromancer , does his effect still work with flashback

yes
and Epic Experiment ?

yes, but you aren't paying the mana cost any way so it'd only benefit you if you had some additional cost to pay (like kicker)
 And does his effect work with X costs?

when cast normally, yes
but if cast by Epic Experiment, X=0 and you aren't paying the mana cost anyway so there's no help there.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

yes it can reduce the X amount.

no
it reduces the total cost, it doesn't reduce what you have chosen for X
or did you mean it can be applied to the part?

proud member of the 2011 community team