Casual Reanimator

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on a casual deck based around the reanimator DTB thread over in the Legacy forums. However, I wouldn't dare post this in there so that I can get flamed about entomb's, reanimates, and thoughtsiezes. I loaded it with every card in the list that I had, and even got together some of the maybe cards and sideboard cards. This doesn't need to be that quick. I'm looking to invest another $10 into this deck and was wondering how best to use the amount.

And a "This really needs to be fixed" sideboard.

[deck]
2 Buried Alive
3 Terastodon
2 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Cabal Therapy
3 Sickening Dreams
1 Sundering Titan
1 Magister Sphinx
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Flusterstorm
[/deck] 
Careful Study or Frantic Search seems good. Two fresh cards and pitch any creatures in your hand.
Careful Study or Frantic Search seems good. Two fresh cards and pitch any creatures in your hand.

I was thinking careful study would be a good place. What should I ditch for the careful study? And what do we think about using the budget for Daze? It's tough being I really don't want to put more then ten dollars into this! LOL!

I may be picking up a set of shocklands being they are currently in standard, although I won't include that in this budget.... LOL! 
I'd personally cut the Brainstorm and Ponder to complete the playset of Preordain and add a playset Careful Study. If you aquire any fetches you should obviously consider putting the Brainstorms and Ponders back in again though.
I'd personally cut the Brainstorm and Ponder to complete the playset of Preordain and add a playset Careful Study. If you aquire any fetches you should obviously consider putting the Brainstorms and Ponders back in again though.

Gotcha, so in otherwords you say that since I don't plan on investing in the entombs, it's vital that I have a draw effect that allows me to dump stuff in the graveyard. Makes sense. That puts me at about $6 for a playset. So what to do with the remaining $4? Hmmm. By the way, I'm not awfully concerned about sticking to a $10 budget, it's more of a number I set because I don't want to blow much cash on this since I will rarely use the deck. So if it comes to $11-$15 I may bite the bullet.

How vital is Daze? Should I get a playset of Spell Pierce to replace the Dispel? Or should I invest on one more reanimate or Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augor?

What to do, what to do...

Cards like Daze and Force of Will are important for combo decks because they are free and protect your plan as well as stop other combo decks from going off. And you don't have too many Island or blue cards, so you can't really play Foil. Dispel is best if you're strictly worried about counterspells, but generally Spell Pierce and Flusterstorm are going to be more relevant, as they foil more things.

I'd kick your bomb count up to eight. Ramp decks generally run about 8-12 bombs, 8 means you'll have an 80% chance of having one in your opening hand to pitch to Putrid Imp or Careful Study, and if you don't have one you'll surely have a good change of getting one off of a Preordain or Study.

I don't know what good sideboard options would be since I don't know what kind of decks you generally play against. But Dispel, Shrivel, Tormod's Crypt, and Curfew might be safe options.

Funeral Charm are actually really good for a budget reanimator. 
You simply target yourself and pitch what creature you have, or you target your opponent, or one of their creatures. 
And it's an instant, so you can play it on their end step, just like Entomb.

As far as reanimation creatures go, without running a full four Entombs, you really need around eight fatties give or take.
Griselbrand is very popular for reanimator, but another card draw creature is Sphinx of Lost Truths
Iona is another obvious one, but I like Flayer of the Hatebound if you can bring back more than one big beast regularly.

Lookling at your land base, I'd consider going for the budget Terramorphic Expanse or Evolving Wilds.
Jwar-Isle Refuge aren't too bad for little money, and Saprazzan Skerry are pretty nice.

I wouldn't worry about playing Daze unless you're playing quite competitively - a lot of the time it's a dead card after turn 2 or 3, as your opponent just plays around it.

For land I think Underground River would be good. They are like $2 each though.