Will a Azorius Detain deck be a strong deck?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I played azorius at the prerelease and fell in love. Heres an idea for a deck.

14   Creatures
4   Invisible Stalker                
2   Lyev Skyknight                
2   Skymark Roc                
3   Archon of the Triumvirate                
3   Azorius Arrester           

25 Enchantments
3   Oblivion Ring                
4   Arrest                
2   Martial Law                
4   Curiosity                
4   Ethereal Armor                
4   Mask of Avacyn                
4   Sphere of Safety

21 Lands
9   Plains                
7   Island                
4   Azorius Guildgate                
1   Glacial Fortress

In testing it works really well as a midrange deck. Especially against token burn and counter decks. soon as i get more Glacial Fortress ill put them in.
If you have the funds to do it, I would highly suggest Geist of Saint Traft and Detention Sphere. Sphere is a better version of Oblivion Ring and Traft is just a good card. He's better now that Phantasmal Image and Phyrexian Metamorph are gone now.
Detention Sphere would be awsome if i had the funds. After testing it some more I took out Mask of Avacyn and added some draw and land to make this deck move a little faster.

10   Creatures
4   Invisible Stalker                 
3   Lyev Skyknight                
2   Skymark Roc                 
1   Archon of the Triumvirate                 

20 Enchantments
3   Oblivion Ring                
4   Arrest                 
1   Martial Law                
4   Curiosity                
4   Ethereal Armor                               
4   Sphere of Safety 

8 Other Spells
4   Azorius Charm
4   Faith's Shield

22 Lands
9   Plains                 
8   Island                
4   Azorius Guildgate                
1   Glacial Fortress
I like what you are trying to do. Detain is awesome in limited, but I remain skeptical in stnadard, but maybe it can work. As far as potential enchanctments to consider, i think that Spectral Flight is one of the best available. Detention Sphere was already mention, but I feel you should be alright with O-ring. Better dual lands would also be nice, but I'm assuming you are on a type of budget, so not going to harp on that. Rest in Peace is going to be a great card as a SB, especially against Zombies, reanimators, etc. Some other card draw to consider could be Thought Scour. You can mill your opponent (not very relevant, honestly), but you do still get to draw for U. I don't know if you really want to run 4 Sphere of Safety, I feel like 2-3 would work just fine. Also with only 22 lands, I don't know how reliably you will ever cast the Archon at 7 CMC.
Spectral Flight is a very nice enchant, except that all my creatures already fly or are unblockable. I will be getting more dual lands eventually but not too soon. I like the Azorius Charm better than Thought Scour as for W more it gives me two more options. The Archon won me a couple games in limited but every time I've play-tested this deck so far I don't get him out till i'm a turn or two away from winning so he doesn't do much good. While detain does work great, it only works great for a turn or two. So i'm thinking about taking out a Lyev Skyknight, the Archon, and a sphere, and adding in 3 Dungeon Geists. They fill the role of a "detain" like ability, while still being a 3/3 with evasion. It works really well so long as a get out a sphere before turn 7 or so.
Azorius needs to be played similar to how the original u/w delver was: fast threats and tempo control. Detain is great at buying time, but you need to be killing them. With only 10 creatures, the chances of that are pretty low. Here's a list I've been testing that seems good thus far:

Note that the fencing ace slot can be a lot of things; I only chose him because he synergizes with the Dagger and the War falcon. Knight of Glory, Precinct Captain or Champion of the Parish all fill this role as well. Landing a dagger on an ace is a pretty big deal, though.
Buying time is exactly what I'm trying to do though. All I need to do is buy enough time for Invisible Stalker/ my evasion creeps to do their thing. While your deck looks great for a fast tempo delver deck, you're missing the whole point of my strategy of detain and detain-like cards, especially Sphere of Safety.
You cannot detain the zombie horde!

BRAAAAAAINS!!!!!!!!!!

*om nom nom nom*
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Palisade Giant is so easy to kill off (deathtouch, RDW, big creature, lots of weenies, etc.) that it is only good for a 1-2 turn deterent, not viable with its high cc. Supreme Verdict kinda counters the whole Arrest, Oblivion Ring (if on a creature), and Ethereal Armor idea Tongue Out. Zombies... Zombies can't do a thing vs. Sphere of Safety... Muahaha!!!
Sign In to post comments