Welcome to Pangaea- A Prehistory Set

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
As a fan of Prehistoric creatures, I have noticed that there are barely any Magic cards that fall into the category of being "Prehisoric". There are maybe two dinosaur cards and several Mammoth cards from over ten years ago. However, what if there was a set based on primitive cretures, ranging from colossal sauropods to ferocious sabre-toothed cats? This thread will focus on the many Primeval cards that can be created by Magic fans in the fictitous Welcome to Pangaea set. Here are some rules:
 1. No abusive abilities
 2. Black Prehistoric cards will be based off of decaying, cursed, or fossilized spells and/or creatures.
 3. Blue Prehistoric cards will be based off of marine reptiles, amphibians, and marine mammals.
 4. Red, Green, and White spells/creatures can be anything else.
 5. Tokens will include: 1/1 Red Raptor tokens with haste, 2/2 Blue Ichthyosaur tokens, 1/3 Green Triceradon tokens with defender, 2/1 Black Fossil tokens, and 1/2 White Ape tokens.
 6. Existing or made up abitlities can be used when creating a creature.
 7. Creatures have to be slightly fictional (can be based off of an actual extinct animal or plant).
 8. Have fun with your Ideas.

Are you up for this Primeval challenge? 
2. Black Prehistoric cards will be based off of decaying, cursed, or fossilized spells and/or creatures...2/1 Black Fossil tokens...

Does this mean that there will be things like Zombie Allosaurus?

I was working on a prehistoric set awhile ago.  Not sure if these fit at all, but here were a couple of examples:

Mechanics

Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with cost one less than this creature. If you do, you may play this without paying its mana cost until end of turn. Play this ability as a sorcery.)
Pack (When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a copy of it, reveal it and put it on top of your library after shuffling.)
Evolution (You may attach a copy of this card from your hand to ~ any time you could play a sorcery.)
Herbivore: (You may sacrifice a to reduce the cost of this card by its colored amount.)
Herd (Double ~ toughness for each other ~ you control.)

Tyrannosaurus Rex
Creature - Dinosaur
Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with cost one less than this creature. If you do, you may play this without paying its mana cost until end of turn.)
If you paid Tyrannosaurus's carnivore cost destroy target creature.
4/4

Velociraptor
Creature - Dinosaur
Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with cost one less than this creature. If you do, you may play this without paying its mana cost until end of turn.)
Pack (When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a copy of it, reveal it and put it on top of your library after shuffling.)
2/2

Neandrathal
Creature - Human Warrior
Evolution (You may attach a copy of this card from your hand to ~ any time you could play a sorcery.)
When Neandrathal evolves, put two +1/+1 counters on it and destroy target creature.
3/2

Ancient Mammoth
Creature - Dinosaur Elephant
Herbivore: Forest (You may sacrifice a Forest to reduce the cost of this card by its colored amount.)
4/4

Triceratops
Creature - Dinosaur
Herbivore: Plains (You may sacrifice a Plains to reduce the cost of this card by its colored amount.)
Herd (Double Wallys toughness for each other Wally you control.)
1/3 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Something with this theme showed up in the GDS2, and I'm really hoping Magic goes to that kind of world soon  It's been said that every Magic block has some thematic element that's turned in the opposite direction from the block before it, so maybe after the world-city of Ravnica we'll see a super-primitive plane instead.

I really liked the fact that the usual races made an appearance, but had types like "Ape Human", "Fish Merfolk", "Beast Elf" and so on, representing the less evolved, primitive versions of those races.  This might not fit the theme you had in mind though.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Heedless Gigantosaur :G::G:
Creature-Lizard (R)
Trample
Passive 5 (This creature enters the battlefield with 6 passive counters on it.  Creatures with passive counters cannot attack).
Whenever ~ is dealt damage, you may remove a passive counter from it.
It ignores most threats, as almost nothing can threaten it.  Yet, those few who have angered the beasts have met a swift end to a thundering rage.
10/10

Flint Quarry
Land (C)
Flint Quarry enters the battlefield with 1 depletion counter on it.
Remove a depletion counter from ~, : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.  Spend this mana only on creature spells.
:  Add to your mana pool.
2. Black Prehistoric cards will be based off of decaying, cursed, or fossilized spells and/or creatures...2/1 Black Fossil tokens...

Does this mean that there will be things like Zombie Allosaurus?

I was working on a prehistoric set awhile ago.  Not sure if these fit at all, but here were a couple of examples:

Mechanics

Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with cost one less than this creature. If you do, you may play this without paying its mana cost until end of turn. Play this ability as a sorcery.)
Pack (When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a copy of it, reveal it and put it on top of your library after shuffling.)
Evolution (You may attach a copy of this card from your hand to ~ any time you could play a sorcery.)
Herbivore: (You may sacrifice a to reduce the cost of this card by its colored amount.)
Herd (Double ~ toughness for each other ~ you control.)

Tyrannosaurus Rex
Creature - Dinosaur
Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with cost one less than this creature. If you do, you may play this without paying its mana cost until end of turn.)
If you paid Tyrannosaurus's carnivore cost destroy target creature.
4/4

Velociraptor
Creature - Dinosaur
Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with cost one less than this creature. If you do, you may play this without paying its mana cost until end of turn.)
Pack (When ~ enters the battlefield you may search your library for a copy of it, reveal it and put it on top of your library after shuffling.)
2/2

Neandrathal
Creature - Human Warrior
Evolution (You may attach a copy of this card from your hand to ~ any time you could play a sorcery.)
When Neandrathal evolves, put two +1/+1 counters on it and destroy target creature.
3/2

Ancient Mammoth
Herbivore: Forest (You may sacrifice a Forest to reduce the cost of this card by its colored amount.)
4/4

Triceratops
Creature - Dinosaur
Herbivore: Plains (You may sacrifice a Plains to reduce the cost of this card by its colored amount.)
Herd (Double Wallys toughness for each other Wally you control.)
1/3 

Nice examples I must say, and yes you could add things such as Zombie Allosaurus. Here is an example of a card that meets my rules (Not saying that you were not following them, since your ideas came first).

Ravenous Raptor :rm
creature:Dromaeosaur

Haste
Pack(Ravenous Raptor cannot attack unless there is another Ravenous Raptor on the battlefield)
Reproduce(If there is another Ravenous Raptor on the field with the one you played, you may put one egg counter on Ravenous Raptor. Sacrifice an Egg Counter, put a 1/1 Raptor token with haste onto the battle field)

4/3

Reproduce is cute, it might need a slight change in Power level though.

Also, how many creature types are you planning on making? A new one for every Dinosaur genus?

Oh, and Pack is a crazy big drawback - I suppose it justifies the p/t, but limited is going to be a sad place with Pack running around. I'm not into the whole WIzers-says-they-don't-make-drawback-mechanics-anymore logic. I think if your drawback is creative and innovative, and something that certain players might want to tamper with and see if they can't break it, then it should see print. That said, I'm pretty sure Pack doesn't fit those stipulations. Maybe if you replaced "Ravenous Raptor on the battlefield" with "creature under your control." But even then, it isn't especially creative. The Wizards version would be some kind of bonus for each other attacking creature or type-sharers or something. I tend not to like their mechanics though, I'm only saying.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Reproduce is cute, it might need a slight change in Power level though.

Also, how many creature types are you planning on making? A new one for every Dinosaur genus?

Oh, and Pack is a crazy big drawback - I suppose it justifies the p/t, but limited is going to be a sad place with Pack running around. I'm not into the whole WIzers-says-they-don't-make-drawback-mechanics-anymore logic. I think if your drawback is creative and innovative, and something that certain players might want to tamper with and see if they can't break it, then it should see print. That said, I'm pretty sure Pack doesn't fit those stipulations. Maybe if you replaced "Ravenous Raptor on the battlefield" with "creature under your control." But even then, it isn't especially creative. The Wizards version would be some kind of bonus for each other attacking creature or type-sharers or something. I tend not to like their mechanics though, I'm only saying.

Sorry about the ability mishap. I was just trying to draft some Ideas. I will try to justify these glitches within the card itself. Also, I might make different creatures with the same genus type depending on the creature. Is it okay if maybe if you can come up with some abilities relevant to the theme? I would be happy to gain knowledge on fixing abilities, for I am only a beginner. I hope you like the just of things, though.
I think the setting needs more magic.

Dinosaurs are cool, but I think that just rehashing old Earth history is going to get a bit stale.  I'd love to see some early shamans, just discovering the rudiments of spellcasting.  Primitive versions of Dragons and Demons.  Primordial oozes and jungle elementals.  All the fun fantasy stuff but with a prehistoric twist.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I have created a refined version of Ravenous Raptor:

Ravenous Raptor 2m:rm

Creature: raptor

Haste
Pack(When Ravenous Raptor is in play and attacks, you may play a 1/1 raptor token with haste until the end of the turn)

3/2

If there is any  mistakes with this creature, please notify me. 
I think the setting needs more magic.

Dinosaurs are cool, but I think that just rehashing old Earth history is going to get a bit stale.  I'd love to see some early shamans, just discovering the rudiments of spellcasting.  Primitive versions of Dragons and Demons.  Primordial oozes and jungle elementals.  All the fun fantasy stuff but with a prehistoric twist.

Your ideas are extremely creative. I will see if I can create Primitive creatures with more Magic in them. You will take some of the credit. Maybe you can create some cards yourself as well. Here is an idea:

Primal Elf Shaman 1m::wm
Creature Elf Beast Shaman(Fallingman's idea) (R)

gm: play two 1/3 Triceradon tokens with defender onto the battlefield

wm: play two 1/2 ape tokens onto the battlefield

tap: target creature gains trample until the end of the turn.

2/3

I would like to say that I do not want a big massive flame war, and I don't think anyone else does. However, this set, and particularly the "evolve" keyword, come within an inch of starting such a war. Please bear that in mind.  
I would like to say that I do not want a big massive flame war, and I don't think anyone else does. However, this set, and particularly the "evolve" keyword, come within an inch of starting such a war. Please bear that in mind.  

If someone chooses to start a flamewar due to their hatred of pokemon, they can feel free to get themselves banned.
Fortunately the only person who would do such a thing on this forum... just got himself banned. And then came back as a sockpuppet. Which got banned. So if he decides to return again, I'm sure he'll do just fine at getting banned.

Questions: 1) @dudibus: why is carnivore worded the way it is? I mean, as it's worded it doesn't work (you need to reveal a card in your hand before you can use an ability on it), and even if it did it would allow you to randomly sacrifice a creature, then do nothing. Why not just sacrifice as an alternative cost? 

2) @Lancerrex8: Are you sure you want to split dinosaurs up into seperate types? If you do, dinosaur tribal will forever remain essentially impossible (there won't be enough of any single type of dinosaur to make a good tribal deck) whereas if you don't split them dinosaur tribal could work well after this block.
However, the reproduce mechanic would work best if based on type, and that would probably require the types to be split (otherwise you get raptors mating with t-rex's) 

If someone chooses to start a flamewar due to their hatred of pokemon, they can feel free to get themselves banned.
Fortunately the only person who would do such a thing on this forum... just got himself banned. And then came back as a sockpuppet. Which got banned. So if he decides to return again, I'm sure he'll do just fine at getting banned.

I'm confused. Who are you saying would be getting banned? And I would like it noted that I'm trying to prevent a flamewar by noting a line of discussion that must be watched, or someone is going to seriously insult someone else.
I'm confused. Who are you saying would be getting banned? And I would like it noted that I'm trying to prevent a flamewar by noting a line of discussion that must be watched, or someone is going to seriously insult someone else.

I'm saying that if someone started a flamewar, they would get banned. In Other Words: The person causing the flamewar would get banned.

And please, don't try and explain why you think this might start a flamewar, because by doing so you might start a flamewar, which would result in you getting banned.
Just accept that magic is a fantasy multiverse, with plenty of room for everything. 

Now, some card ideas:

Venomous Meganeura
CreatureInsect (uncommon)
Flying, Deathtouch
2/3

Giant Bear
Creature - Bear (common)
4/4

Imperiosaur  :p
"Just accept that magic is a fantasy multiverse, with plenty of room for everything."

That I can easily accept. The problem lies elsewhere, but I can't tell you what it is, because, from what you said, there's no way to tell you what I would find unacceptable without being banned. I guess you'll know when it happens, then.  

Questions: 1) @dudibus: why is carnivore worded the way it is? I mean, as it's worded it doesn't work (you need to reveal a card in your hand before you can use an ability on it), and even if it did it would allow you to randomly sacrifice a creature, then do nothing. Why not just sacrifice as an alternative cost? 

2) @Lancerrex8: Are you sure you want to split dinosaurs up into seperate types? If you do, dinosaur tribal will forever remain essentially impossible (there won't be enough of any single type of dinosaur to make a good tribal deck) whereas if you don't split them dinosaur tribal could work well after this block.
However, the reproduce mechanic would work best if based on type, and that would probably require the types to be split (otherwise you get raptors mating with t-rex's) 

I was not aware you had to reveal a card before you could use an ability on that card.  Wouldn't it work like Flash?  The point of the ability was for you to sacrfice a creature (not just any creature, I put the 'must cost one less' ability to make it less powerful, and to try to follow the idea of a Food Chain.  Maybe it would be better to say something like "Sacrifice a creature to reduce the cost of this creatures casting cost by the casting cost of the sacrificed creature?".  What do you think would be a better wording?

As much as I would like to comment on Evolution, I am now worried that I might get banned if I attempt any clarification.  Feel free to PM about what I was going for if you are interested in intellectual conversation on the subject.

That being said, my ideas were rough ones I worked on for a bit that do not necessarily reflect any personal feelings.  I am not surprised there might be issues with some of the wording.  I can send anyone that wants it the MSE file, there is 74 cards (not all have images), or I can post a bunch more here.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

You guys have been getting Angels since forever, I think we should be able to have some fun with Dinosaurs every now and then.

Also, chill everyone. Getting banned here is incredibly rare.
Some wording clearups, because I have little else to contribute at the moment:

Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with converted mana cost equal to this card minus one rather than paying this card's mana cost.)

I have two alternatives to make it flow slightly better.
Carnivore (You may sacrifice any number of creatures with combined converted mana cost equal to or more than this card's converted mana cost rather than paying this card's mana cost.)
Carnivore X (You may sacrifice a creature with converted mana cost X rather than paying this card's mana cost.)

Overall though, I don't see the mechanic making much of a splash, sacrificing a non-token creature is a pretty big cost. It could also be tied to toughness if you'd like.
Carnivore (You may sacrifice any number of creatures with combined toughness equal to or higher than this card's converted mana cost rather than paying this card's mana cost.)

Moving on:
Pack (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card that shares a name with it, shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.)
Herbivore (Each [type] you sacrifice while casting this card reduces its mana cost by a color that land could produce.)
Alternatively, "reduces it's mana cost by [color]".

Not going to go into Evolution. Creatures can't be attached to other creatures, so you might want to look at Grandeur or something instead.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I would word carnivore as:

Carnivore (You may sacrifice a creature with converted mana cost one less than this creature's rather than pay this creature's mana cost)

That means you reveal it, and pay its cost (or sacrifice) as you cast it. Nice and simple.

EDIT: apparently I got ninjaed. 
Also, chill everyone. Getting banned here is incredibly rare.

Also, I actually like Mown's original Carnivore. It's reminiscent of Birthing Pod except reverse, and without the tutoring. I know he said he wasn't fond of it, but I would probably play one or two creatures with this if they were well-made anyway. Kinda reminds me of Offering which I am fond of.

What about the reverse? Creatures with Prey - Sac. this guy to get a guy from your hand with CMC one higher. Only do this like you do sorceriez.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Personally I think you should scrap Carnivore and bring back Devour. It already exists and fills the same place flavourfully, letting you focus on the other mechnics.

Tar Pits
Land
Tar pits comes into play tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
:B::B::T:,Sacrifice Tar Pits: Destroy target tapped creature.
The prospect of being discovered millenia later does little to alleviate that sinking feeling...
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!

The prospect of being discovered millenia later does little to alleviate that sinking feeling...

I wonder if there was one highly imaginative dinosaur that actually considered that. Probably not.

139359831 wrote:
Neandrathal
Creature - Human Warrior
3/2

One, it's Neanderthal. Two, this mechanic doesn't work. You could say "exile a copy of this card from your hand" but not "attach". Creatures cannot be attached.

Ancient Mammoth
4/4

Mammoths aren't dinosaurs, and that card's either Craw Wurm with -2/-0 or Rogue Elephant with +1/+1 for three more mana.

Herbivore wants to be an ability word.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt