How good is the AI

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there
I am playing DotP on my iPad and I am really trying to learn and understand the way, sequence and reasoning that cards are played
Is the AI in the game a good thing to learn from ???
Playing Mage does the Help always give the best advice ???
I understand that MtG can be a very personal game the way the cards are played
But is the help a good way of getting to understand the game and how to lay the cards ??? 

I often fail to understand some of the plays I am asked to make but mostly it all seems to work out in the end and I hope I am starting to pick up the nuances of the game

What's the thinking here then, can I mostly trust the Help ???

Thanks in advance

Mik 
1 v 1 the AI is not too bad but it's horrible in 2hg. Also, the builds the AI uses are mediocre at best so some of your decks will look nothing like that of the AI and thus you might not learn anything on how to run yours. I wish there was a feature to allow the AI to use my own deck builds; I would like to see how effective they are. Also, the AI cheats so learning from it would not work out like you imagine.
I disagree.  The 1v1 A.I. is horrible.  I've seen it attack with 0 power creatures, ping itself with a pinger, such as Gelectrode and many other dumb mistakes.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Yea, I've witnessed the AI blow all three points of damage from Arc Lightning on my 6/6 creature then end it's turn.

I don't really know about the help features of DotP, I've only played on Archmage and Planeswalker.

This thread could turn into "Bad/Funny Plays You Have Seen - AI Edition".

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

if you want to learn from the ai with the best real to life player experience do revenge campaign on planeswalker, the ai use upgraded decks and use better tactics. also since the ai do cheat such as using cards that can save them at the worst times can better help you prepare for the worst. best advice if you want to train against ai
The AI are a pain in the arse to be left as ur partner tho i have seen worse in some players. The problem with AI is that, they never use any instant spells on less its the only card they can play so when AI is left playing fire or blue, u mite as well quit.
The AI is awful. To makes things worse, their decks are really underpowered without any of the unlocks.

Revenge on Planeswalker difficulty is the hardest, of course, but then the A.I. is blatantly cheating in terms of draw and existing cards in hand (opinion only).

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
So

Basically it's best I learn myself then
Is there any good reading and hints out there ???
I played a while ago on the PC but things have obviously changed somewhat

Thanks a bunch for the advice so far
I think what playing against the AI is good for is getting yourself comfortable with your own cards. As opponents go, they don't act much like human opponents, so they're not great for learning "this is how I play against this deck", but they are a perfectly fine place to try out your decks and see "does this work?" "how quickly am I actually able to get this creature onto the battlefield?" "what cards do I keep choosing to play over others, so I know what I might like to try trimming?" "if a deck has a 'search my library' feature, what will I aim for most of the time so I can beat the timer in actual pvp"... etc.
So

There are threads here with people giving their input. Also, people post their builds here so you should try some of them out. 

So

Welcome to the forums, Mikartlen!

There's a post HERE that I made a couple weeks ago that has a couple links to help new players. I'd say playing the campaign against the AI is a pretty good way to practice and learn basic MTG skills and strategies. It's a good playground where you can test out different cards in your deck and see how well they play with each other.

The Challenges are also actually pretty useful for forcing you to think outside the box and using cards in unexpected ways.

You might also want to check out a recent article that was linked in the forums written by Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa, a champion MTG player. Usually he talks about pretty advanced strategies, but this latest article was written with Magic beginners in mind.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Well this is just making me realise how little I really do know about things
I  am getting along a little better now and have the full Born of Flame deck which I enjoy playing
I have it set as close as I can to the advised deck
I have played the green and blue decks a little and have problems playing the blue successfully
Well this is just making me realise how little I really do know about things

Everyone started where you did.  No one starts out knowing everything which is why, incidentally, all of possible "noob" insults people come up are pointless.  The awesome thing about Magic is all of the amazing card interactions that can occur whether you win or lose.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I think the AI is a great tool for learning.  I'd say the AI plays better than a new magic player and worse than an experienced one.  The AI makes very few tactical errors (when it does, the error usually involves an activated ability that the AI forgot about) but is not that good at making strategic long run decisions.

Sign In to post comments