How many Tribal Decks are too many?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This has kind of been bugging me, and I'm wanting a bit of advice. I have several casual decks/ideas for decks and only two of them aren't either tribal/everything has the same ability. I was wondering if it's a bad thing, and if so should I start letting go of a few of my decks/ideas? This is what I have so far:

Decks I have Built:
UW tribal Merfolk
R  tribal Goblins
B tribal Vampires
G tribal Bears!
W tribal Knights
GB Golgari
GW Pauper totem deck

Want to build:
GW tribal Cats
GWR tribal Allies
U tribal Illusion
W tribal Humans (or GW, haven't decided)
G tribal Elves (possibly as an EDH deck)
G tribal Squirrels
UW Mono-flying

Is that too much tribal?
"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this." Check out my MTG blog, called Poor Man's Mana. http://cheapmana.blogspot.com/
If you love playing tribals, then just do. There's no such thing as too much of that. For me, it would get old after a while, but as long as a deck is fun to play with and plays different than the others, there's no reason to dismantle it. Unless you need some cards out of it. And even then, I would be looking for alternatives first.

Building around a tribe is a good start for a new deck. It limits the card choices for the initial decklist and so makes it easier to build that first version. From there it's up to you how you evolve the deck. This may even lead to you abandoning the tribe in favor of a mechanic, a card interaction, or improving the base strategy (aggro, control, combo).
For the most part my decks tend to do better than the ones I play against. The people I play against feel it's because they're all tribal decks, since tribes tend to have really cheap cards for their effect. Also each deck that I have built atm carries it's own unique strategy:

Merfolk are more of a slower-combo deck that either wins with islandwalk, makes the opponent scoop, or goes infinite.

The vamps are all about kill spells and draining the opponent's life away (also pretty decent in multiplayer).

The Goblins are about flooding the field so fast, my opponent doesn't know what happened (like swinging with 16 2/2's turn 5).

And the bear deck is for when I don't feel like thinking haha.

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this." Check out my MTG blog, called Poor Man's Mana. http://cheapmana.blogspot.com/
I have...

GU Fungus
RWU Minotaurs
UG Faeries
RB Knights
W Knights
WGRBU Slivers
BG Elves
GWR Walls

But I also have a host of other decks, too.

Red Fatties
RW Control
RW Destroyer
MonoBlack Discard
GWR Landless
MonoBlue/Artifact
MonoRed Bolt
RW Bounce-Pandemonium
MonoBlue Control

And probably a few others I've forgotten that are in storage. (Not counting pre-cons that I never took apart, like Premium Fire & Thunder, Garruk Vs. Liliana, Ajani Vs. Bolas, Premium Graveborn, Elspeth Vs. Tezzeret, Venser Vs. Koth, the Commander pre-cons, one of the Arch-Enemy pre-cons, the Planechase II pre-cons, and German copies of the original Ravnica Boros and Dimir pre-cons.)

So, hey, make what pleases you. I mean, hey, I've got 3 decks that are all rather different from each other, and almost half my decks are tribal. Go nuts, play what makes you happy.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

MOAR DECKS!

I am currently sitting on about 40ish ready-to-play decks, including I think 17 tribals? I you like/want the deck, and have the means to build it, then by all means, DO SO.

My tribals:
G Elves (tokens)
G Elves (BIG Elves)
G/B Elves (needs help, never played with the success of the other 2)
R Goblins (big Goblins)
R/B Goblins (tokens)
B Vampires
B/R Vampires
B Vampires (Intro deck special) 
W/R Soldiers
U Merfolk
W Knights
WU Kithkin 
RGB Dragons (strictly multiplayer)
W Angels (more multiplayer)
BU Faeries (somewhat Lorwyn block traditional)
BU Faeries (Special Ops strike team aggro )
BG Zombies (Dead things, Mikey, dead things)

I wish they would add an official Tribal format sometimes.                  
I wish they would add an official Tribal format sometimes.

Only on MTGO, as far as I know.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Tribal decks?

UBR vampires (Modern)
BR vampires (Standard)
monoB zombies (Standard)
BG zombies (Modern)
RWU myr (Modern)
monoU merfolk (Modern)
WU merfolk (Modern)
monoW soldiers (Standard)
BG elves (Modern)
monoR goblins (Modern)
BR goblins (Modern)
WB humans (Standard)
RGW humans (Standard)
RW humans (Modern)
monoW rebels (EDH, with Lin Sivvi as a general)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
 Playing in a sanctioned Tribal Format would be a lot of fun!
 Playing in a sanctioned Tribal Format would be a lot of fun!

Tribal Wars isn't sanctioned, but it can be fun.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt