reverberate and 'x' mana casting cards

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I always thought that any copied spelles with an 'x' would have 0 mana spent in their casting costs however a friend of mine whose new to magic insisted that he looked into it and that this wasn't the case- that you be copying that spell with whatever 'x' was paid for. Can someone please help clarify this rule for me?
When an X spell gets copied (Twincast), all of the choices made for it when it was cast are also copied. The value for X is one such choice, and the copy will have the same value. A copy of Blaze with X=3 will also have its X be 3.

edit:
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.
I always thought that any copied spelles with an 'x' would have 0 mana spent in their casting costs however a friend of mine whose new to magic insisted that he looked into it and that this wasn't the case- that you be copying that spell with whatever 'x' was paid for. Can someone please help clarify this rule for me?

When you copy a spell, you also copy the value chosen for X.

Note that, while copying a SPELL with X in the casting cost will copy the value of X, copying a PERMANENT will treat X as 0. So, for instance, a Clone copying a Primordial Hydra will be a 0/0, no matter what was chosen for X for the hydra.

In the same vein, copying a SPELL will copy whether or not that spell was kicked, while copying a PERMANENT will not see whether the original was kicked or not. 
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.