Help on building a G/W Ramp, First Standard Deck

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone!

After looking around a little bit, I settled down on the idea to make a G/W Deck. At first, I was looking for a Populate deck, but found out it wasnt as good as I expected it to be. So I discovered the ramp deck for G/W and immediatly fell in love with it. I like ramping fatties and just hit the battlefield hard in a few turns.

So, I searched around the net and took a base deck to modify. Here is my deck list at the moment. Please note that the sideboard is trash and that I really need to find something to put in it.

Maindeck :

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Arbor Elf
4 Farseek
4 Ranger's Path
2 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4 Thragtusk
2 Armada Wurm
2 Angel of Serenity
2 Sever the Bloodline
2 Gavony Township
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Selesnya Charm

Lands :

2 Vault of the Archangel
4 Temple Garden
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Sunpetal Grove
1 Plains
6 Forest
3 Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard :

3 Selesnya Charm
2 Rest in Peace
4 Call of the Conclave
2 Vraska the Unseen
4 Dryad Militant

So this is the decklist im running right now. As I said, the sideboard is thrash. Ive noticed I have alot of trouble against aggro decks. Any tips on how to improving my deck so I can face off aggro decks and other types of decks?

Thanks!

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg)

Selesnya charm should be mainboarded: atleast one of its modes is going to be good against a deck you are playing against. Beyond that, your curve is a bit high, you have a few too many finishers and not enough stall, even though it is a ramp deck. My preference would be to drop two each of Armada Wurm and Angel of Serenity to put 4 charms mainboard. Rangers Path, while tempting to jump from 4 to 6, is best skiped since you already have enough ramp lower in the curve, possibly something like Centaur Healer as replacement so that you can stall out for a bit against aggro decks? If aggro is still giveing you problems, board in the Call of the Conclaves.

Also, how are you finding the black splash for Sever the Bloodline? If you like it, we could take that further with more golgari and black cards, which would shift your deck more towards a midrange-with-reach style, but that would be a fairly big style change.
Darder: To link cards do [ c ]cardname[ /c ], without the spaces and replace cardname with whatever card you are trying to link.
Consider adding some Conjurer's Closet since it could quickly pull out more life with Centaur Healer or more tokens with Armada Wurm. If you plan on running it more token based consider adding Healer of the Pride and Parallel Lives in addition to the closet. I have a G/W token spawn deck listed that you can check out here that i recently tested something close to it and it went fairly well, of course that was against a golgari deck but that's more besides the point since I ended with 40+ tokens, 111 health, and none of his creatures could block mine.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
Onerios : Added the Selesnya Charm to the decklist. About the black splashing for Sever The Bloodline, yes I really like the splash since it is very easy to splash black in this deck because of the Farseek and Ranger's Path, both allowing me to get Overgrown Tomb or Temple Garden when I need either. I would like to look what you would suggest when you talked about trying out other black spells as well, however Removing rangers path would make it much harder to get the Overgrown Tomb out.

I thought of the Centaur Healer, but was told it was a horrible card and should always be only sideboarded.

About the Call of the Conclave, I was wondering what can I replace to add in the Call of the Conclave?

MisterDubs : Thanks! Modified the post.

Shadow of Rakdos : Conjurer's Closet looks interesting. But I would have to kind of change the style of the deck a little bit. Parallel Lives definetely looks interesting, however I was wondering if it was possible to actually change my whole deck to something more aimed toward swarming the enemy with tokens, and then try out Parallel Lives on that.

Bump, after trying out the deck a bit it seems to be doing alright against aggro, but it still needs more testing.

Honestly, splash blue and go with Parallel Lives and Cackling Counterparts. So you get another Armada Wurm + Token and then ANOTHER Armada Wurm + Token for 1(U)(U)... I've been playtesting that and gotta say it has been absolutely outstanding. At the VERY LEAST, I can get another creature I already have for cheap. Try it out, splash blue, not black.
Sign In to post comments