Aussie Adventurers: Just wrapped up our first session of DnD Next.

*EDIT* This session was not of the supplied pre-made adventure, as it did not appeal to my tastes to DM. Click here to visit our Obsidian Portal.

What a fun system! We had a solid 6 hour session with many laughs, heroics, and great role playing experiances.

All players are 25/26yrs old, and well versed in 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder & 4E - as well as huge Star Wars SAGA Edition players.

Callum played a Halfling Wizard (Pirate)

• Had fun, hard to judge at 1st Level, but it was a vast improvement from 4ED. Still happy with 3.5 and Pathfinder, but can see DnD Next working great.

• Magic Missile - it's my bag baby.

Ryan played a Human Rogue (Gambling Theif/Charlitan)

• Skills! I'm so damn skilled!

• Loved the Advantage/Disadvantage system.

• Very excited for the system.

• Loved that planning and pulling off a stealthy maneauver, granted advantage allowing for a 2nd chance at a Critical.

Julian played a Human Warlok (Corupt Entertainer / Charlitan Magician)

• Elderich Blast. It got repeditive as a lv1 - but you can't argue with results ;)

• Loved that Humans get the overall stat bonus. Makes you feel big.

Sophia played a Reptilian Cleric (Traveling Do'good'er)

• Really dug the focus on healing AND moving/attacking. This cleric felt like it could really command control how a fight continued.

• Loved that Healing takes you to 0hp instantly, then adds the rolled HP to the target. No more long slog from -9 to stable on a night of low rolls.

They went up against some Stirges and some Orgers, and loved every minuet. They liked the freshness of it, and all commented on how quickly we were able to find results, and keep combat flowing.

Everyone had fun - we had basically all solid feedback:

• Making characters, never been easier. So quick. So straight forward. Everyone got to the end and was looking for more do add out of habbit - it was super quick to roll and begin.

• Death and Negative HP mechanic was good fun, and added a sense of mystery when a player went down; as not all players knew eachothers stats.

• Healing an Unconcious character was a refreshing discovery. We liked the idea that you are taken back to 0 then HP is added, because it distances the number game and reinforces action.

• Magic Missile is a cantrip. Genius.

• Having played SAGA Edition we love having Spot and Listen mixed into a single 'Perception' check. We continued calling it 'Perception' even though Next calls it 'Spot'.

• Missed Ranger - but we are told it is coming.

• It was tough to keep the Rogue from insta-passing many checks, but the advantage disadvantage system was good for this. When he took the time to think or used cunning, he was rewarded - when he rushed in, or was caught unawear.. he knew it ;)

• Everyone was very OPEN to DnD Next which was interesting, as when we tested 4Ed it seemed to have started them on the wrong food from Day 1.

• As DM people got into the idea of Stat based challenges as opposed to Saves very quickly. I enjoed the idea of being able to tailor the checks to the situation instead of piling several standard checks onto eachother.

• As DM I loved the layout of the Beasty Guide, I like the whole Trait system because it allows me to create my own beastys on the fly if needbe - simply by considering its behaviour.

Questions

• Is there no way for a player to stabilize another player without Divine Healing or a Potion? 

• Drowning? How does it work? Did I miss it in one of the books?

After 6 hours of epic roleplay and a few encounters, lots of checks, fantastic one liners and many laughs - they hit Lv2, we will play again next Sunday, and see how it goes adding a 5th PC.

Everything went better than expected! 
There are healing kits which allow for non magical healing. And I believe that the game currently does not provide details for drowning.

If I was to make up rules on the spot I'd use the dying mechanic to handle drowning.
There are healing kits which allow for non magical healing. And I believe that the game currently does not provide details for drowning.

If I was to make up rules on the spot I'd use the dying mechanic to handle drowning.
A post so nice it showed up twice.

Right, so without a Kit or Divinity there is no way for a player to stabilize another player.

Yeah, I made up something that in retrospect is similar to the dying mechanic. Good call. 

Eager to see how lv2 plays out.

• Drowning? How does it work? Did I miss it in one of the books?

Drowning rules are on page 10 of the DM Guidlines PDF under "Holding Your Breath and Drowning".
Yep, drowning is on page 10. However, I found the rules to be fairly non threatening. Having said that, if you significantly reduce the number of rounds a character can drown for before falling unconscious - to say 3 or 4 - it feels much more threatening and exciting :D Particularly if said drowning PC is being held under water in a grab by a zombie that roled a Strength check of 18 and keeps rolling low for Str check to break the grab!

Yeah, the glories of posting form my phone, it showed up twice.

And I missed that in my quick read of the DM Guidlines. I really should have double checked the rules before posting. 

Oddly if you are swimming underwater by your own actions you can hold your breath for minutes equal to your con modifier. If you are drowning it is rounds equal to your modifier before you die. I would think under most circumstances you should be able to hold your breath for a similar amount of time whether going under water was intentional or not.  (The exception being those rare times that you don't actually have time to inhale additional air.) And swimming under water for minutes seems a bit too long.    
Oddly if you are swimming underwater by your own actions you can hold your breath for minutes equal to your con modifier. If you are drowning it is rounds equal to your modifier before you die. I would think under most circumstances you should be able to hold your breath for a similar amount of time whether going under water was intentional or not.  (The exception being those rare times that you don't actually have time to inhale additional air.) And swimming under water for minutes seems a bit too long.    

I suppose you're only drowning once you 'aren't swimming', and if your in water when you 'aren't swimming', you'll prorably be freaking out; ergo, not be able to hold your breath as long?
If you were a typical average person then perhaps. I would expect there to be some decrease but we are talking about going five minutes down to roughly 30 seconds. I think that gap is too wide.
If you were a typical average person then perhaps. I would expect there to be some decrease but we are talking about going five minutes down to roughly 30 seconds. I think that gap is too wide.

I feel what it's trying to say is: once you're drowning, you're drowning. Drowning does not take 5 min in real life, it's a short struggle of flailing arms and legs as your brain is starved of oxegenated blood. Until you are at crisis point, you're simply Swimming, or indeed, struggeling to swim.

Am I understanding you? it's late here. Hah! might be miscoprihending. 
Sign In to post comments