My Rakdos Build

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello! I'm new to the Standard scene, having come into Magic only a couple months ago. I've decided to make a Rakdos deck from cards I got from the prerelease, booster draft, packs, and trades. I'm posting it because I think it's a bit different from the other Rakdos builds here.

20 Creatures

4x Rakdos Cackler

4x Rakdos Shred-Freak

1x Rix Maadi Guildmage

3x Splatter Thug

1x Cryptborn Horror

4x Hellhole Flailer

2x Carnival Hellsteed

1x Chaos Imps

19 Other Spells

3x Pillar of Flame

4x Dreadbore

2x Searing Spear

2x Mizzium Mortars

3x Brimstone Volley

3x Auger Spree

3x Rakdos Keyrune

21 Lands

4x Dragonskull Summit

2x Rakdos Guildgate

8 Mountain

7 Swamp

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What am I missing? What should I replace? What's just bad?

Also, I'm very hesitant to buy any budget-breaking cards. Shocklands, Vexing Devil . . .

Tips for a sideboard would be awesome, too.

Thanks! 

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Unfortunately friend, there is a reason that other decks here aren't like that one, and it isn't for lack of consideration.

I tried Hellhole flailer, but in the end, he was really just neat because he Flings himself, and you could do more damage for less using brimstone volley, which you have anyway.

Also, 21 lands means you'll be hard-pressed to cast imps, hellsteed, or overload mortars. 
The rest just isn't threatening. Actually, I am playing with the idea of Splatter thug to enable Rakdos, lord of riots (hoping they're sufficiently scared by first strike), but otherwise, cackler is a decent early game, but he doesn't last, shredfreak is a tiny fireball. I just don't see something that would put you over the edge in a variety of matchups.

What could help? Scary things. Desecration demon, Rakdos, lord of riots, probably Ash zealot

Also, guildgate is not Blood crypt. Never has been, never will be, you need to get on that if you really want the dual lands, if not, just cut the gates, they lose you far too much tempo.

What could help? Scary things. Desecration demon, Rakdos, lord of riots, probably Ash zealot

Also, guildgate is not Blood crypt. Never has been, never will be, you need to get on that if you really want the dual lands, if not, just cut the gates, they lose you far too much tempo.

+1, Desecration Demon is scary for your opponent, especially if you get him down on turn 4.  Buy them now while they are still cheap.  And the Gates are annoying even in Limited.  Drop them for Mountains and Swamps until you can afford Blood Crypts.     
I have a Rakdos themed deck that i posted on here some time ago that you could take a look at here. It probably won't give you many ideas as most of my decks run slower than their build style would suggest, but most of the cards from the prerelease that i get are still in it and that deck (it was 40 cards then, keep that in mind) went 5-2 match wise, with it placed second.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
Lets see, I'm building a Rakdos deck myself which is nearly finished. Just need to grab about 6-7 more cards to finish it but Lets try and edit this deck you have.

Ceatures -
- 4 [C]Rakdos Shred-Freak[/C] (Such a bad card for a 2 drop when Ash Zealot it just so much better)
+ 4 Ash Zealot[/C] (Punish those graveyard users)- 3 [C]Splatter thug[/C] (Ok card but better choices, I prepare Guttersnipe for his ability)+ 3 [C]Guttersnipe[/C]- 1 [C]Cryptborn Horror[/C] (Such a bad card which never gets really used to its best abiltiy)-4 [C]Hellhole Flailer[/C] (Not good enough unforunately)-2 [C]Carnival Hellstead[/C] (Too expensive)-1 [C]Chaos Imps[/C] (God no)+4 [C]Stromkirk Noble[/C] (Good 1 drop)+2 [C]Rakdos, Lord of Riots[/C] (Must have the devil himself)+2 [C]Falkenrath Aristocrat[/C] (Great 4 CMC Flyer)-1 [C]Rix Maadi Guildmage[/C] (not that good here)+2 [C]Deathrite Shaman[/C] (Can do many fun things)+3 [C]Knight of Infamy (I just like the guy but this +3 is preference)

Spells -

-3 [C]Rakdos Keyrune[/C] (Just bad)

-3 [C]Brimstone Volley[/C] (Better cards out there)
+2 [C]Mizzium Mortars[/C] (Great card)
+1 [C]Pillar of Flame[/C] (Great card to deal with zombies)

-3 [C]Augar Spree[/C] (Not that good compared to pure burn)

-2 [C]Searing Spear[/C] (I think there is enough removal/burn)
+2 [C]Bonfire of the damned[/C] (Great card)

Lands -

-2[C]Rakdos Guildgate[/C] (Too slow in a rakdos deck)
+4 [C]Blood Crypt[/C] (Helps with the mana)

This is if your willing to break a budget if not forget the shock and bonfire. and find good replacements. Guildgates are not a replacement for shock

IMAGE(http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r552/Lambadelta/Rachel.jpg)