[VGS-001] Lelouch vi Britannia

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
A very long time ago, I began making one of those anime/video game themed sets I'm sure so many people set out to make at least once. Anyway, I started up again and have no intention of finishing it, but I liked a lot of the cards in the set and figured I'd take it up again until I get bored or college picks up again.

So, here's the first of what will likely amount to only about ten or twelve cards. Who knows though, maybe I'll surprise myself.

Lelouch vi Britannia
-
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player reveals his or her hand and you choose a card from it. Exile that card. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may pay to play it without paying its mana cost, where X is its converted mana cost.
1/1

He used to be a rebel, but then it didn't really fit with the ability, which also has changed several times. The original shifted from gaining control of creatures, to controlling players' turns, to having a bunch of varied activated abilities, and now it's this. I'm much happier with this one, since it's based off of a card I designed a while ago that I'm a little fond of.

It's essentially what I wished Sen Triplets was. I love Sen Triplets, but no matter how much I love it, the card is just not very good. Even when you build around it, the card just does not work as well as you'd think it would. This I'd hoped would perform better in both EDH and constructed formats and so far it is decent.

Anyway, any opinions about the card are, as always, appreciated.
Can't you give him an ability that forces your opponent to suicide concede willingly?
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Can't you give him an ability that forces your opponent to suicide concede willingly?

All I'm thinking is, "I miss when Adult Swim had anime." Along with "Is it weird that Cartoon Network was the place for Johnny Yong Bosch's voice?"
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Adult Swim doesn't have anime anymore? It's been longer since the last time I watched Cartoon Network than I thought.

I like Lelouch, the card not the character. Always knowing your opponents' plans and stealing their stuff is pretty much what I'd expect from him and, if your aim was to make a better Sen Triplets, you succeeded. In fact, I'd say this is actually too good, bordering heavily on overpowered.

I'd increase the mana cost and probably up the rarity since it's usually a 'better' Sen Triplets, which was a mythic.

If it's not going to work with Mindslaver, it won't work with Lelouch.
Adult Swim doesn't have anime anymore? It's been longer since the last time I watched Cartoon Network than I thought.

Well, it still does. Except yesterday. :/
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
I like Lelouch, the card not the character. Always knowing your opponents' plans and stealing their stuff is pretty much what I'd expect from him and, if your aim was to make a better Sen Triplets, you succeeded. In fact, I'd say this is actually too good, bordering heavily on overpowered.

Why don't you like Lelouch? The hamminess is just so much fun; all that dramatic arm swinging and posing. What's not to love?

Also, while I agree that it is strong, could you explain why you think it may be overpowered, cause I'm not seeing it.

Don't worry, I'm a doctor.

Why don't you like Lelouch? The hamminess is just so much fun; all that dramatic arm swinging and posing. What's not to love?

Also, while I agree that it is strong, could you explain why you think it may be overpowered, cause I'm not seeing it.

I probably should have worded that better. Anyway, I'm not really sure if it's overpowered, just potentially.

Turn 1: Temple Garden, Birds of Paradise
Turn 2: Temple Garden, Birds of Paradise, Overgrown Tomb

That's Lelouch on turn two. Yes, I do acknowledge that this is one of those really good hand scenarios (Birds, both lands, and Lelouch), but its hardly un-feasible. So, assuming you aren't on the draw, this will start stripping your opponent's hand on their second turn. Even on the draw this is really nasty.

So, not necessarily overpowered, but I'd feel more comfortable if you could only reliably drop this after turn two.
Dubbed anime sucks.

Adult swim has toonami again every saturday. like 6 hours.
Dubbed anime sucks.

I think it really depends on the anime. For the most part dubs suck, yes, but some are pretty good. I really like the FLCL and Cowboy Bebop dubs, more than the original Japanese actually. My memories a little fuzzy, but I think the Ergo Proxy dub might have been okay as well.
Dubbed anime sucks.

I think it really depends on the anime. For the most part dubs suck, yes, but some are pretty good. I really like the FLCL and Cowboy Bebop dubs, more than the original Japanese actually. My memories a little fuzzy, but I think the Ergo Proxy dub might have been okay as well.

Some are great yes, but I like to generalize :P
So...more powerful Thoughtseize every turn without the life loss? Other probably irrelevant ability? How is your opponent supposed to deal with this, it is like Hypnotic Specter on super steroids. You are pretty much forced to top deck removal and hope the blue player doesn't have a counter.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Okay, so it's been established that A) dubbed anime are mostly bad and B) this is too strong. So here's the question: can I get away with only increasing its mana cost by or is the least I can expect. Also, is a 'nonland' clause necessary, or will the increase in cost be adequate to counteract that. And, I guess power and toughness? Still 1/1? Lelouch is kind of pathetic on the fitness side.
is good. I think would guarantee that it wasn't too strong though. At you'd probably wouldn't see it before turn four, three at the earliest and very rarely. I think the more pressing issue is that it can hit lands.

I'd say make it cost more and make it only hit nonland cards. As for power and toughness, I'd leave it as a 1/1. Lelouch is pretty much the definition of a squishy wizard and being small fits the flavor and helps to balance it. He can tear your hand apart but dies to everything.
sen triplet if is added. still this is much stronger than the triplet even without the body. 

i guess is somewhat sufficient if you keep his body small? kinda like kaalia of the vast that you really can't keep her around for a turn. but kaalia has her limitation, yours work no matter what.

And i support nonland cards only.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

I stopped watching after they started putting on Family Guy and King of the Hill.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
sen triplet if is added. still this is much stronger than the triplet even without the body. 

i guess is somewhat sufficient if you keep his body small? kinda like kaalia of the vast that you really can't keep her around for a turn. but kaalia has her limitation, yours work no matter what.

And i support nonland cards only.

At least Kaalia exposes herself to the dangers of combat. Squishy wizard here has no problems staying safe from cratures.

Alternatives for balancing:
-You can't use the ability again until you've cast the card you exiled with it?
-Make the ability trigger on your upkeep
-The opponent can pay some cost to avoid the ability
All of these would still require a cost increase of at least

Keep in mind I have a very flimsy grasp on this Lelouch character so if my solutions don't apply it may be because I didn't realize he was a robot alien squid god with teleportation powers and a weakness for ice cream.

I stopped watching after they started putting on Family Guy and King of the Hill.

King of the hill is amazing. Maybe you have to live in texas to get it :P