Is this effect too strong?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Plasmatic Irrigation -

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Land

You control the enchanted land.

Edit: ('you control enchanted land' doesn't work, had to add 'the')
Annex says it's fine.  Also, the "the" is incorrect templating.
See:  Annex.  Same effect, same CMC.  Annex is slightly stronger,as it provides more flexibility and doesn't require black to cast.  So is it to strong?  Nope, not at all.  You lose out a lot of tempo and CA to gain a single land.  I think if you make it U/B, you could probably push it down to :B::U::U: and still be fine (Although I'm not seeing much of a reason for it to actually be black at this point).

That said, why won't "You control enchanted land" work?  The official current errata for Annex is that way, as is all "You control enchanted..." spells.   Unless there is some interaction I can't think of.
Well, using that wording, one could say you would control all lands that were enchanted. This is because Land can also be the plural for multiple lands...

I never knew about annex, and this spell was originally 1GU (designed as a card to put in our cube; we use home-made cards also)

That's actually a neat ability.

Test spell - 2GU

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Land

You control each land that is enchanted.
Well, using that wording, one could say you would control all lands that were enchanted. This is because Land can also be the plural for multiple lands...

Not in MtG templating language it can't.  Though, tbh, I'm not sure it can in the English language, either.

Not in MtG templating language it can't.  Though, tbh, I'm not sure it can in the English language, either.

In magic, lands is the plural of land. The english language, though, it would imply that you would control each land that was enchanted.

In magic, lands is the plural of land. The english language, though, it would imply that you would control each land that was enchanted.

right, but, for reasons I will never fully understand, magic wording is written in magic wording terminology.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
See:  Annex.  Same effect, same CMC.  Annex is slightly stronger,as it provides more flexibility and doesn't require black to cast.  So is it to strong?  Nope, not at all.  You lose out a lot of tempo and CA to gain a single land.  I think if you make it U/B, you could probably push it down to :B::U::U: and still be fine (Although I'm not seeing much of a reason for it to actually be black at this point).

That said, why won't "You control enchanted land" work?  The official current errata for Annex is that way, as is all "You control enchanted..." spells.   Unless there is some interaction I can't think of.

You don't lose all that much tempo. Plus, it's equivalent to destroying one of their lands and adding one to your own armada of lands. You throw off their tempo, and you increase yours. Sure you don't have the best turn 4 play, but next turn you (could) have 6 mana available to you, while they still have 4 (3 in some cases).
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.