Izzet Guild: Quicksilver Blaze

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

The focus of this deck is to utilize Hypersonic Dragon to allow casting of sorceries during the opponent's turn and take advantage of Goblin Electromancer's ability to reduce mana cost of instant/sorceries.

Clone is included so I can create more Goblin Electromaner's to further reduce the cost, the sideboard more or less containing other viable options.

This is a rough build of the idea and I'm definitely open to suggestions.
When I look at Goblin Electromancer, I see drake spam and field clearance. If you aren't restricting yourself to a Standard/Type II card pool, Electrolyze is pretty good with Electromancer. I'm not sure on the Clones. I would honesty get some Talrand, Sky Summoner to work alongside your Electromancers. You can create a decent army of fliers with Talrand and his Invocation.

Worldfire and Thoughtflare seem like dead draws at 4 each. I'd run 2 Thoughtflare at the most. You could drop 1 Hypersonic Dragon and still be alright.  
When I look at Goblin Electromancer, I see drake spam and field clearance. If you aren't restricting yourself to a Standard/Type II card pool, Electrolyze is pretty good with Electromancer. I'm not sure on the Clones. I would honesty get some Talrand, Sky Summoner to work alongside your Electromancers. You can create a decent army of fliers with Talrand and his Invocation.

Worldfire and Thoughtflare seem like dead draws at 4 each. I'd run 2 Thoughtflare at the most. You could drop 1 Hypersonic Dragon and still be alright.  

I'm wanting to keep this type 2 (standard). If I take out 2 Thoughtflare and 4 clones, i can add 3 Drake Spam and 3 Flame of the Firebrand
Seems like a good swap. If you see Gravecrawler and Undying creatures, don't forget that we have Pillar of Flame. Izzet Charm merits consideration for your deck or sideboard. Its either burn/counter or loot if you need it. I usually save it as a counter.
Seems like a good swap. If you see Gravecrawler and Undying creatures, don't forget that we have Pillar of Flame. Izzet Charm merits consideration for your deck or sideboard. Its either burn/counter or loot if you need it. I usually save it as a counter.

Hmm... -2 Worldfire, -1 Hypersonic Dragon, +3 Izzet Charm?

Downsize is terrible without a bunch of creatures, the same goes for Bustersquall. Cards like Crippling Chill, Cyclonic Rift, Silent Departure, or just straight burn would probably be better. Actually more burn would be really good.

Worldfire seems like something you'll never be able to cast, you should have a different win condition.

Hypersonic Dragon doesn't really seem synergistic with the deck. It gets its just a hasty creature. I think you'd rather have something that benefits you a lot for playing instants and sorceries like Delver of Secrets or Talrand, Sky Summoner.

Downsize is terrible without a bunch of creatures, the same goes for Bustersquall. Cards like Crippling Chill, Cyclonic Rift, Silent Departure, or just straight burn would probably be better. Actually more burn would be really good.

Worldfire seems like something you'll never be able to cast, you should have a different win condition.

Hypersonic Dragon doesn't really seem synergistic with the deck. It gets its just a hasty creature. I think you'd rather have something that benefits you a lot for playing instants and sorceries like Delver of Secrets or Talrand, Sky Summoner.

Thank you for the suggestions, but I'm really trying to make this Return to Ravnica/Magic 2013 only. The main reason I made it was because of Return to Ravnica and Izzet; I dont' want to end up throwing the whole deck away, essentially.
Is it really necessary to have 4 Worldfire? Honestly, I don't even get why you included that card at all. With your lack of cheap creatures and/or nukes, Worldfire will probably hurt you more than help you. Unless perhaps you havea bunch of friends who play with Oblivion Ring, Path to Nowhere and Fiend Hunters, or maybe Avacyn, Angel of Hope. Maybe a combination of both. Then I could see running 4 Worldfires. Otherwise, I just don't get it.

Your Guttersnipes would probably server you better if you just ran some direct nukage. Really, getting instant sorceries is kinda crappy with the sorceries you have.

If you're going to make such heavy use out of the Electromancers, you might as well make it good, like Street Spasm or Epic Experiment. Maybe Explosive Impact.

It's great that you wanna use the Hypersonic Dragon to make it so that you can play sorceries as instants, but to what end? What's your wincon? the only wincon I really see is smacking your opponent with the dragon. 
Is it really necessary to have 4 Worldfire? Honestly, I don't even get why you included that card at all. With your lack of cheap creatures and/or nukes, Worldfire will probably hurt you more than help you. Unless perhaps you havea bunch of friends who play with Oblivion Ring, Path to Nowhere and Fiend Hunters, or maybe Avacyn, Angel of Hope. Maybe a combination of both. Then I could see running 4 Worldfires. Otherwise, I just don't get it.

Your Guttersnipes would probably server you better if you just ran some direct nukage. Really, getting instant sorceries is kinda crappy with the sorceries you have.

If you're going to make such heavy use out of the Electromancers, you might as well make it good, like Street Spasm or Epic Experiment. Maybe Explosive Impact.

It's great that you wanna use the Hypersonic Dragon to make it so that you can play sorceries as instants, but to what end? What's your wincon? the only wincon I really see is smacking your opponent with the dragon. 

I'm not wanting to use Epic Experiment because it's too expensive.
Honestly, I don't know.

I guess this was a bad deck idea to begin with. And like i said in the above post, I want to only use 2013 and Return to Ravnica...

EDIT:
made some edits based on latest suggestions...
EDIT 2:
Might be reconsidering more of the deck now. 
This list is looking pretty cool.  Flash Talrand's looks quite awesome, actually, it's like a super Midnight Haunting. 

Think of Epic Experiment as Primal Surge, but for damage spells instead of permanents.  If you cast it at 6 or 7 cmc, it's pretty dangerous.  It's a much better finisher at 9 cmc than Worldfire, in my opinion, and potentially useful before that. 

I like Izzet charms in this decklist for the flexibility and the inclusion of counter magic.  I am not sure I would include so many copies of Street Spasm when Flames of the Firebrand is generally better in the early game and Mortars is much more effective in the lategame (it hits fliers and is more mana efficient).  The main argument I can see for it is if you expect to need it to nuke single, huge targets (6+ toughness walkers).  In which case, you would probably be better served mana-wise if you countered said creature with Syncopate or the like. 

Talrand himself would be quite good in this deck, as you have many spells with which to trigger the drake tokens. 
Builds and Guides The Cosmonaut a build that teleports foes into space. November Errata Item Guide a guide to equipping Avengers and Strikers after the November errata. 100% Crit Rate Ardent Champion an Avenger combo that autocrits and/or inflicts infinite damage at level 11.
If you're looking for advice for tournament play, I'd suggest Standard Forums. If you're looking for casual advice, I have to ask what your goal is for this deck? Do you want a "competitive-casual" deck, of a fun interesting/insane deck? do you want if for 1v1 or multiplayer?
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
If you're looking for advice for tournament play, I'd suggest Standard Forums. If you're looking for casual advice, I have to ask what your goal is for this deck? Do you want a "competitive-casual" deck, of a fun interesting/insane deck? do you want if for 1v1 or multiplayer?

I would almost say competitive/casual.
I would just like to make an Izzet deck that's not OVERLY expensive, but can still be fun/useful to play.