Jace's Mind Erasure

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So for the fun of flavor and to keep coming up with interesting decks for my playgroup, I am trying to make a deck that fits the flavor of various planeswalkers but also keep them competetive! I think decks that are flavorful or kind of tell a story are super fun and keeps casual duels a great experience for whatever mood you may be in! I have 21 different decks right now and am trying to tweak them with the help of you great people. Or if you think that they are good as is then great, your comments/recommendations are appreciated!

Here is my current iteration of a Jace deck. I figured mill was the way to go

Creatures-13
4x Jace's Phantasm
4x Hedron Crab
4x Fog Bank
1x Mind Control (I count this as a creature for obvious reasons)

Other Spells-23
2x Jace, Memory Adept
3x Jace's Erasure
4x Howling Mine
1x Font of Mythos
1x Mesmeric Orb
4x Mind Sculpt
4x Counterspell
4x Unsummon

Lands-24
2x Darkslick Shores
2x Drowned Catacomb
2x Jwar Isle Refuge
2x Nephalia Drownyard
2x Reliquary Tower
2x Halimar Depths
12x Islands   

Trying to keep the deck mono blue for the flavor of Jace but did splash black for the  drownyard. Tyring to not run out of steam in case I do not get an early howling mine. I thought about Jace Beleren instead but don't know.

Here are some extra cards that I have and just set in a sideboard
1x Jace, Memory Adept
1x Azure Mage
1x Jace's Archivist
1x Jace's Erasure
2x Jace's Ingenuity
3x Mind Funeral
1x Traumatize
2x Visions of Beyond
1x Shadowfeed
1x Tormod's Crypt
1x Keening Stone

These are kinda what I had extra that I thought may also be good so kept them close by. So any thoughts, mill seems kinda tough to play seeing how most card do not affect the board. I am also trying to keep this duel and multiplayer friendly.

Thanks in advance!
Duel mill decks aren't too difficult to make. Multiplayer mill decks usually focus on mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse along with things like gaea's blessing to prevent you from milling yourself. (That is unless you focus on an infinite mill combo, which it doesn't look like you are).

You already have a good amount of pieces to make a mill deck, and I'm going to assume you want the flavor of "Jace" to be the main focus for the deck.

First, I would focus on milling 1 player as quickly as possible, which means dropping mesmeric orb. If you want milling to be your main wincon, then you'll have to focus entirely on it. Mind control doesn't really add anything to your ultimate goal, so I'd drop it. It wouldn't hurt to add that 4th jace's erasure thanks to all of the draw power, as well as visions of beyond. And I would also add Jace's archivist to disrupt your opponent. Nephalia drownyard is too slow, to be honest, but mind funeral is really good. The main issue with splashing black is that it kind of takes away from the flavor of Jace being mono-. It's up to you whether or not to splash black. There are plenty of u/b lists to look at online, I personally like mono-blue if only for sanity grinding.

Try to avoid 1-shot mill spells unless they are worth it. For example, a player starts with 20 life and a 60 card deck. So treat instant/sorcery mill spells like burn. A lightning bolt hits for 3, so essentially you should be able to mill somebody for 9 for . Hedron crab slowly but surely does this. Mind funeral, sanity grinding, glimpse the unthinkable, memory erosion, usually do this. But don't confuse this as a rule to live by, traumatize would be awesome by these standards. However, it is probably the worst mill spell there is because 1) it costs 5, 2) it gets progressively worse as the game draws out longer, and 3) you can never win with it. Since it is harder to compare mill to burn, mill spells tend to make things draw out over many turns, making control spells essential.

Making your opponent draw cards is not the same as milling them, you're essentially refuelling their game. That's something about mill decks that most people overlook. Mill decks usually have a mill engine and a lot of control; over half of the deck should be control, IMO. If you make the opponent draw, then mitigate that advantage by playing things like arcane laboratory. That's why I like jace's archivist (basically windfall) so you can disrupt all of those cards they saved up. But, if you can avoid forcing your opponent to draw, don't make them draw. You still have plenty of draw options in blue.

Good luck with this.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Thanks for the advice Keino!
Yeah mesmeric orb does seem awesome just added it yesterday and playtested against my wife's lifegain deck and was impressed! I am not very experienced with playing mill but it is extremely fun! The biggest problem I have seen so far is that it seems that most of the spells that I play do not affect the board very much while my opponent spells do. I have found that the fog banks help with stall because this deck does need a little time to get set up plus I need the drawing pieces to keep my hand full. Don't know if there is a way to do this without using the howling mines?  I did think about using Jace Beleren  instead of the mines but I can't stack Beleren like the mines, however my opponents would only be drawing the extras cards on my turn and not theirs, so don't know if this is better or not but Jace, Memory Adept  seems good for dedicated mill.

I did have a   mill deck but took it apart to build this after aquiring my Jace's to do this mono blue one for Jace.
I haven't tried using jace's archivist yet but your point makes since about disrupting your opponents current hand and it seems that my opponents always have more cards in hand than me with all my spells being cheep and cast quickly. So far I have only tried this deck in a duel and not multiplayer and the unsummons and counterspells seem absolutely necessary for control and to buy time. The addition of mind control was also there because of the duel aspect but can be removed for multiplayer. The numbers seem tough to flesh out. 

The other reason why I have black lands splashed is for being able to bring in shadowfeed or possibly cremate for decks that have anti-mill creatures in them. I figured the black could be when Jace spent his time with Tezzeret and the infinite consortium as a flavor perspective. I haven't figured out which is better though between shadowfeed and cremate though, the 3 life for maybe an extra turn or card draw for possibly finding an answer and more mill with Jace's erasure? Nevermind, I think I just answered my own question after typing it out the crematedefinitely seems better!

What would be good cards to be able to switch in if I go from playing a duel to multiplayer and vice-versa? Also is memory erosion worth it as and extra add in? I do like it but wouldn't know if anything is worth taking out for it. Arcane Laboratory seems really good but also affects me in being able to bounce and then counter something or casting multiple mill pieces on my turn. I have also thought of thought scour  as a way to draw cards and slight mill but didn't seem effective enough. Visions of beyond  seems to take a while to get the full effect but could be worth it I guess. Is there a way to keep the cards coming to my hand and not my opponents like the howling mines. Would thought scours and visions of beyond worth using over these? It seems the repeatable draw is more effective than one shot draws, plus it does help chew up their library as well. Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur  seems great to counter act this but way to slow. Fleshing out the numbers seems to be the toughest part, thoughts?
hedron crab is a milling beast IF you run fetches even the cheap ones (terramorphic expanse, evolving wilds) work just fine with him, and its not unheard of to run fetches in a mono-u deck with hedron crab. mindbreak trap is always a strong card, and i would main 4 visions they're sooo good. perhaps a couple blue sun's zenith to finish the game off in ur favor isnt a bad idea either
Sign In to post comments