38 posts / 0 new
Last post
5 Of the Guilds have been given to us, with 5 remaining:

Boros- R/W

Dimir- B/U

Orzhov- W/B

Gruul- R/G

Simic- G/U

So,what do you think or hope to have for cards in the next expansion?  Or for that matter, what type of deck?  Discard for B/U?  A haste G/R? Ancient Depths style for G/U?  Thought? Comments?

www.wizards.com/magic/multiverse/planes....

the link above is where i got the guild list from.
For boros, I want to see either a Giant tribal theme or a Wall theme. Cards include Brion Stoutarm, Borderland Behemoth, Desolation Giant, Feudkiller's Verdict, Ivory Giant, Inferno Titan, Jotun Grunt, Thundercloud Shaman, Sunhome Enforcer, Wall of Essence, Wall of Swords, Wall of Heat, Blistering Barrier, Wall of Omens, Wall of Razors, Wall of Reverence, Perimeter Captain, Vent Sentinel, Rage Nimbus, and Stalwart Shield-bearers. Or maybe some combination of the 2 themes, of course with some Lightning Helix in there.

Dimir - I'm keeping my wishlist short here, that way I won't be dissapointed. 3-4 Consult the Necrosages, 2 Dimir Cutpurse, and 1-2 Mindleech Mass, and I'll be happy.

Orzhov - hmm... I'm not sure what I'd want to see here. How about Dark Heavens 2.0? Yeah, I'd like that.

Gruul - I'm not much of a red/green player, so I'm just hoping for something that isn't just basic beatdown. Voracious Cobra would be fun.

Simic - I'd like to see an Ancient Depths 2.0.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

r/g: Aggressive creatures.
Wolf-Skull Shaman
Boggart Ram-Gang
Burning-Tree Shaman
Vengevine
Bloodbraid Elf
Huntmaster of the Fells

Maybe with a small ramp/landfall side-strategy (it's still a green deck after all):

Plated Geopede
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Harrow
Primeval Titan
Rampaging Baloths
Dragon Broodmother

...Then just add some burn on top for good measure.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

All I know is, after we get those, I want a tri-colour deck with Maelstrom Wanderer. :P
Boros - It's probably going to be Peacekeepers 2.0. But maybe an equipment deck with old favorites like Stoneforge Mystic and Trusty Machete pairing up with new tools like Sunforger and Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer.

Simic - I'm with Stevo here: snakes! Also, since WotC is giving so much love to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block cards this year, I would like to see Fable of Wolf and Owl. And lots of card draw, of course.

Dimir - A discard deck with megamaster's suggestions would be nice. And please, Wizards, if you're doing the discard deck this year again, put the freaking Nyxathid this time. To years in a row that you missed one of the most obvious choices for this kind of deck. Quest for the Nihil Stone would be nice too, to pair with Liliana's Caress.

Gruul - Maybe the concept behind Trinity of Elements, but done right this time. Killer Instinct and Impromptu Raid comes to my mind almost instantly. You can't go wrong with cards like Bloodbraid Elf and Apocalypse Hydra, though. Maybe werewolf creatures?

Orzhov - I wouldn't complain if it's Dark Heavens 2.0, just give me aggressive costed demons with drawbacks this time, like Abyssal Persecutor and Desecration Demon.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Don't forget Lieges.  Every other guild deck has 2 (except Mindstorms and Azorious which got shafted on this unfortunately).

Hopefully if they do another expansion, they also give us 5 or 10 more cards for each deck to further evolve them and maybe they can provide MS another Liege and Azorious two of them.     
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
For Boros I'd like an aggressive equipment deck

For Dimir I'd like another discard deck

For Orzhov I'd like a bleeder deck

For Gruul I'd like something similar to Trinity of Elements

For Simic I'd like a snake tribal deck
Don't forget Lieges.  Every other guild deck has 2 (except Mindstorms and Azorious which got shafted on this unfortunately).

Hopefully if they do another expansion, they also give us 5 or 10 more cards for each deck to further evolve them and maybe they can provide MS another Liege and Azorious two of them.     

Of those:
Balefire Liege we'll probably only see one of. They're kinda gross.
Boartusk Liege I imagine we'll see two.
Glen Elendra Liege I doubt we'll see. I could be wrong, but I just have a feeling the deck will go in a direction where a simple buff creature will be dropped (for much the same reason as Thistledown Liege; lack of creatures).
Murkfiend Liege I could see playing a fairly huge role in the deck. I think this time around we're going to see a lot more creatures in this deck. In fact, this may be the deck to watch out for...

And the topic of Liege's is where I rest my opinion that we're not going to see another deck. The Orzhov Liege is already represented. I believe we're getting another mono-black deck. If not, hopefully a tri-colour.

Of those:
Balefire Liege we'll probably only see one of. They're kinda gross.
Boartusk Liege I imagine we'll see two.
Glen Elendra Liege I doubt we'll see. I could be wrong, but I just have a feeling the deck will go in a direction where a simple buff creature will be dropped (for much the same reason as Thistledown Liege; lack of creatures).
Murkfiend Liege I could see playing a fairly huge role in the deck. I think this time around we're going to see a lot more creatures in this deck. In fact, this may be the deck to watch out for...

And the topic of Liege's is where I rest my opinion that we're not going to see another deck. The Orzhov Liege is already represented. I believe we're getting another mono-black deck. If not, hopefully a tri-colour.

This is not a strong reason, IMO. I would agree if we had a Liege in AS and in the U/B deck (I agree with what you said about it). Besides that, of all the cycles in magic history, the guilds aren't only the most famous, but the most popular one. WotC wouldn't dare to break it, even in DotP. The first thing they would say is that it would upset all the Orzhov fans.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I think it would suck if they don't include Orzhov simply because they HAD to make a multi color deck in the original 10.  I look at Exalted as an introduction to manual land tapping.  It would have been rediculous to include manual land tapping in a game that didn't need it until you pay for the expansion.

Besides, only 60% of the guild decks have leiges.  That's not a very strong argument as to why they wouldn't include Orzhov.

I don't think they will add "Haunt."  The current engine has enough problems keeping track of cards when they move from one zone to another, especially in regards to moving from my side of the battlefield to my opponents side of the battlefield and then back to my graveyard.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I don't really have much of an opinion about many of them, but I do hope is a self-mill deck, with some flashback/unearth, and maybe Laboratory Maniac

This is not a strong reason, IMO. I would agree if we had a Liege in AS and in the U/B deck (I agree with what you said about it). Besides that, of all the cycles in magic history, the guilds aren't only the most famous, but the most popular one. WotC wouldn't dare to break it, even in DotP. The first thing they would say is that it would upset all the Orzhov fans.

I think it would suck if they don't include Orzhov simply because they HAD to make a multi color deck in the original 10.  I look at Exalted as an introduction to manual land tapping.  It would have been rediculous to include manual land tapping in a game that didn't need it until you pay for the expansion.

Besides, only 60% of the guild decks have leiges.  That's not a very strong argument as to why they wouldn't include Orzhov.

We're strictly playing on opinion here. We have zero indication of where they will go from here; what the next/last decks will be, how they will release them, whether there is anything else coming after these etc. DotP has never settled on a DLC release pattern and Wizards/Stainless have given us absolutely nothing to go on.

Basically what I'm saying is, there is no "strong argument" on what decks are or are not coming. I've considered the idea of having 2x decks and again, I've merely fallen back on my opinion (which predates the datamining of the first DLC), that we'll have 2 of each mono colour deck, one of each dual colour deck and hoping against hope that Wizards/Stainless aren't pants-on-head-retarded enough to give us manual land-tapping in the only iteration of DotP to date without tri-colour decks.

If there's another expansion with at least 4 dual-colored guild decks, I would put money on there being a fifth for . The original 10 decks correspond to planeswalkers and legendary creatures from the 2013 core set. The Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis deck wasn't "Orzhov," it was M13 Exalted. It wasn't a mono-black deck because Exalted in M13 wasn't mono-black.

I'd rather have a tri-color deck than another B/W deck.
B/W + third color.

Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!

If there's another expansion with at least 4 dual-colored guild decks, I would put money on there being a fifth for . The original 10 decks correspond to planeswalkers and legendary creatures from the 2013 core set. The Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis deck wasn't "Orzhov," it was M13 Exalted. It wasn't a mono-black deck because Exalted in M13 wasn't mono-black.

Valid.
We won't know until approximately 6 days before the decks are released (which will be +/- 14 days after the decks are announced). That's my point.
I merely stand behind my original projection. From a design point of view, "two of each mono-coloured and one of each dual coloured" makes more sense than "two of each mono except-- and one of each dual except--".

Also from a design point of view, there are opinions that some of the guild decks only superficially represent the guilds themselves in any way but colour.
I've said it before, but I see it going either way. I don't really want another Orzhov color other then the fact I want it to be Orzhov. I think Exalted could have been made into a tri-color deck to start with... maybe something like , I don't know.
Who knows why they didn't but it would definitely have been ideal for these decks to actually be based on the guilds they're supposed to represent rather than the superficial representation we've been given.  I understand Dredge is a very powerful ability however the very powerful cards that use it could have been limited to 1 or 2 of just like all the other power cards in the other decks.

Wizards seems to continously underestimate our want/need (call it what you will) for deck/card variety, power level (referring to decks and deck design) and better game design to more accurately reflect exactly how Magic is played....in my opinion they are getting better though.  
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Who knows why they didn't but it would definitely have been ideal for these decks to actually be based on the guilds they're supposed to represent rather than the superficial representation we've been given.  I understand Dredge is a very powerful ability however the very powerful cards that use it could have been limited to 1 or 2 of just like all the other power cards in the other decks.

Wizards seems to continously underestimate our want/need (call it what you will) for deck/card variety, power level (referring to decks and deck design) and better game design to more accurately reflect exactly how Magic is played....in my opinion they are getting better though.  

I don't think the dredge mechanic was excluded from the game becasue it's too powerful (heck, when Ravnica was standard legal, there weren't really any standard decks that utilized dredge, it was extended and legacy that used it).

It wasn't just dredge that was excluded, but all of the guild mechanics (dredge, convoke, replicate, hellbent, forecast) are missing. I'm ok with that for the most part, since looking back on the ravnica cards, there weren't a lot of great cards for those mechanics anyways. Although, I am sad that Collective Might didn't get some Scatter the Seeds.

Anyways, I think the main reason these mechanics were excluded is because they don't want to add new mechanics to dotp in the expansions. Think about it, none of the 5 expansion decks feature mechanics that weren't already in the game. It's probably a bit easier on the programming end.   

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

There's an inherent problem with dredge.  There is never a point where you can call it "just enough Dredge."  If you nerf it by limiting the amount of good Dredge cards, or simply flood us with sub-par Dredge it won't be a good deck.  Once you introduce some Recursion, or add in the good Dredge cards, it all of a sudden becomes Really Good

So you're faced with two options.  Give us a sub-par Dredge deck, or give us a Dredge deck that will become very dominant that might have 1 or 2 bad match ups, but would probably wipe the floor with all of the other decks. 

The only thing that kept Dredge from being completely dominant in Standard during Ravinaca's first block was the fact that you could sideboard in 4-8 "GY Hate" cards that you could keep them at bay during game 2 and 3.  But since DotP has neither, sideboarding or GY Hate, it would be near impossible to balance Dredge without simply giving us bad Dredge.

I'd love to see Dredge, I just don't see it happening.  Or at least, not being good.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong and we see another deck. But Sorin is still out there too...
Although truth-be-told, I could do without another Vampire deck. And Liliana pretty much does everything mono-black is supposed to do besides.

Ultimately we'll see. but you can pretty much bet if there is an Orzhov deck, it won't have Lieges in it like the others tend to.
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong and we see another deck. But Sorin is still out there too...
Although truth-be-told, I could do without another Vampire deck. And Liliana pretty much does everything mono-black is supposed to do besides.

Ultimately we'll see. but you can pretty much bet if there is an Orzhov deck, it won't have Lieges in it like the others tend to.

And that's the part that sucks.  Deathbringer Liege is one of my favorites. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

Heck, we don't even know that for sure. I don't see why we can't get more Deathbringer Lieges. Mindstorms got 2 Time warps after Crosswinds already got 2. Grinning Malice and Aura Servants got 2 Grave Titans and Sun Titans, after OD and PK already had the titans.

I am Blue/White

Heck, we don't even know that for sure. I don't see why we can't get more Deathbringer Lieges. Mindstorms got 2 Time warps after Crosswinds already got 2. Grinning Malice and Aura Servants got 2 Grave Titans and Sun Titans, after OD and PK already had the titans.

Just 'cause.
I want to see something different.  For red/white I want to see an Astral Slide deck.  For blue/black I want to see a Psychatog deck
I don't really have much of an opinion about many of them, but I do hope is a self-mill deck, with some flashback/unearth, and maybe Laboratory Maniac

That would be awesome against Dream Puppets. On the flipside, you could also play a 2HG game with a Jace partner also Milling you with that card.
I want to see something different.  For red/white I want to see an Astral Slide deck.  For blue/black I want to see a Psychatog deck

I highly doubt we will see Psychatog also i cant see us getting another white black deck as lets face it the guild decks just aint guild decks there just using the guild colours and well some of them have a rough theme i guess in SS case the others are kind of well random i can see us getting the 4 decks and a tri colour artifact deck via tezzeret or prehaps a 5 colour honda ( i think there hondas brb) honden even well honda was close...

Thats my 2cents why we wont see another w/b deck.

I found another 2cents woot making the w/b exalted deck was a mistake it as few creatures with exalted live there now i cant rember the colour combo but isnt it a more u/w thing thus freeing them to add orz as a guild deck meh just speculationg
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best

I highly doubt we will see Psychatog also i cant see us getting another white black deck as lets face it the guild decks just aint guild decks there just using the guild colours and well some of them have a rough theme i guess in SS case the others are kind of well random i can see us getting the 4 decks and a tri colour artifact deck via tezzeret or prehaps a 5 colour honda ( i think there hondas brb) honden even well honda was close...

Thats my 2cents why we wont see another w/b deck.

I found another 2cents woot making the w/b exalted deck was a mistake it as few creatures with exalted live there now i cant rember the colour combo but isnt it a more u/w thing thus freeing them to add orz as a guild deck meh just speculationg

Exalted was originally, and primarily, in Blue, Green and White colors or any combination of.  Some were multi-colored, others only single colored.  This is the first time I've seen Black creatures with the Exalted ability, which I knew was tied to the new M13 set. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I actually would very much like to see another Ancient Depths style UG deck, partially because I really want to play with Worldspine Wurm, but mostly because AD ultimately was too slow/inconsistent to be very competitive with the better decks in 2012, and I'd like to see how a competent ramp deck with more reliable stall strategies would turn out in this format.  I'd also just generally like to see what kinds of fatties they'd throw in now that they can't just default to Eldrazi like Kozilek and Ulamog with a mill deck in the picture.
No one is missing the artifact deck? That's what I'm hoping BU will be at the least.
No one is missing the artifact deck? That's what I'm hoping BU will be at the least.

I'd really like to see UB be something other than an artifact deck in DotP for once.  By that same token, I wouldn't mind seeing an artifact deck at some point that isn't just another UB deck.
Personally, what I'd like to see with is a simple deck that uses Green's ramp and Blue's card draw/bounce/counters to support a mass of creatures that are buffed by Murkfiend Liege.

Basically Murkfiend Liege is the centerpiece and is surrounded by:
Gaea's Skyfolk
Jhessian Infiltrator
Mystic Snake
Assault Zeppelid
Coiling Oracle
Winged Coatl
etc.

Other Blue or Green creatures can benefit from it's ability like Archivist, or can merely have psuedo-Vigilance.
Backed up of course by 's spells like Aether Mutation, Cytoshape, Snakeform, Temporal Spring, etc.

Stuff like that would be cool.

Trouble is, blue is the artifact colour - etherium masters/scupltors etc - and the only combinations are Green and Black. Green is historically the anti-artifact colour and theres much more entertaining decks for UG. 
Just give us a standard-worthy Tempered Steel deck and let the raging commence.
A deck where the curve tops out at Tempered Steel, and you spend you first 2 turns vomiting your hand onto the field would be excellent.
Speaking of vomiting your hand to the field... Quest for the Holy Relic, Memnite, Ornithopter, Glint Hawk, Argentum Armor
I still want a deck where you turn things into artifacts and then destroy them.

4 March of the Machines
4 Liquimetal Coating

Tap Liquimetal coating to destroy any land if March is on the field.

4 Dross Scorpion

Well now it's just foolish... destroy all lands for free!?!

For fun, throw in.....

4 Indomitable Archangel
4 Tempered Steel
4 Steel Overseer
4 Neurok Transmuter
4 Silver Myr
4 Gold Myr
4 Courier's Capsule
20 land

Shroud everything, destroy all opposing lands, create huge artifact creatures. So many ways to win.....

4 March of the Machines
4 Liquimetal Coating

Tap Liquimetal coating to destroy any land if March is on the field.

4 Dross Scorpion

Well now it's just foolish... destroy all lands for free!?!

For fun, throw in.....

4 Indomitable Archangel
4 Tempered Steel
4 Steel Overseer
4 Neurok Transmuter
4 Silver Myr
4 Gold Myr
4 Courier's Capsule
20 land

Shroud everything, destroy all opposing lands, create huge artifact creatures. So many ways to win.....

Don't forget our old friend Memnarch.

Sign In to post comments