Arcane Melee and X spells?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have Arcane Melee out and I want to cast Black Sun's Zenith for 4, does the enchantment reduce the cost by two generic and I only have to pay 2BB for it?

Thanks in advance!

If I have Arcane Melee out and I want to cast Black Sun's Zenith for 4, does the enchantment reduce the cost by two generic and I only have to pay 2BB for it?

Yes, that's correct.

[<o>]

Yes, that's correct.

But does that mean that I have to make Black Sun's Zenith X cost at least 2 when I cast it? Or can I choose to exclude Arcane Melee's effect?
When you cast BSZ you choose a value for X, then later you pay the cost.

You can not choose not to apply Arcane Melee, but you can just choose X =2 (if that's your goal)
MTG Rules Advisor
You choose X before you determine the spell's cost. So you choose X=4, then you pay - = .

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

But does that mean that I have to make Black Sun's Zenith X cost at least 2 when I cast it?

You are welcome to pick a number smaller than 2. For example, if you pick X = 1, then the total cost of Black Sun's Zenith = - =
Or can I choose to exclude Arcane Melee's effect?

Arcane melee's effect is not optional.
Awesome. Thanks a bunch guys. I appreciate it!
Out of curiousity, why would you want to choose to not apply Arcane Melee's cost reduction?
He might have been thinking that cost reducers automatically increase the value of X, and that casting BSZ while arcane melee it out will automatically make X = 2 or more. A lot of new players see it that way.

Luckily, that's not how it works. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.