counter a scavenge ability?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
can you counter a scavenge ability? i know it says use the scavenge as a sorcery but does it count as an ability you can counter?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
yes. its an ability so you would need something that counters them instead of spells. all the "only scavenge as a sorcery" means is you can only do it if the stack is empty (aka whenever you could cast a sorcery)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Yes, but not with Cancel  You need something like Voidslime
MTG Rules Advisor
Sorry to intrude, I don't fully understand the scavenge rule or when it can be used can someone please either post a reply or pm me the theory. Thank you.
Do you have a specific part of it you don't understand?
It is explained pretty well on the cards.

Drudge Beetle

When it is in your graveyard, you pay the scavenge cost and exile the card, then you put +1/+1 counters on your target equal to the exiled cards power.  (in the case of the beetle 2)
MTG Rules Advisor
Ah thank you, just meant can Scavenge only be used when the card is in the graveyard. You've answered that for me
"Use only as a sorcery" means that you can only use it on your main phase when no other spells/abilities are waiting to resolve (which are incidentally the same conditions required to cast a sorcery)

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

ok thanks, so because the scavenge isnt a spell it cant be countered by "counter target spell" cards, thanks 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
That is just false. First, you cannot remove the card from the yard in response to the scavange ability once the ability is put on the stack. Because exiling it is part of the cost of the ability and costs cannot be responded to. The card is in exile long before you even get priority to respond. Second, messing with the source of an ability will not counter the ability. Once activated or triggered, they are independed of their source and nothing you do to that source will stop them from resolving.
Realistically, you can "counter" scavenge by playing a card like Cremate targeting the scavenge creature in the graveyard(not the scavenge target) in response to your opponent declaring the scavenge. Every ability, except those that directly generate mana (Lands, Llanowar Elves --  they don't go on the stack) can be responded to, and nearly all can be "countered" by playing a card that prevents the ability from resolving on the stack after the ability is declared. You can Cremate a card in a graveyard, Unsummon a creature in play, etc. to prevent abilities from happening.

Incorrect.  You can not prevent the cost from being paid once the player has put the ability on the stack.  The cost for the ability is to exile the card as well as a mana payment.  You can not cast Cremate in response to the scavenge ability.

_Magic: The Gathering_ Comprehensive Rules

These rules are effective as of October 1, 2012.

112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, "Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player") rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.

702.95a Scavenge is an activated ability that functions only while the card with scavenge is in a graveyard. "Scavenge [cost]" means "[Cost], Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the power of the card you exiled on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

You can not Unsummon Goblin Fireslinger to prevent its ability from happening.

You can counter the ability using something like Stifle, or you can cause the ability to be countered by the game rules by making the target illegal before it resolves (giving it Shroud, for example).

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)