4 [DKA] Thought Scour
3 [ISD] Dead Weight
2 [ISD] Think Twice
1 [RTR] Ultimate Price
2 [ISD] Victim of Night
4 [ISD] Forbidden Alchemy
3 [M13] Mutilate
3 [M13] Liliana of the Dark Realms

So, I think I've found a new pet card in Veilborn Ghoul. Though it may be too cute at the moment, there's a lot of synergy in this build. I really like the Sphinx drawing me four cards each turn in the late game. It may be a little too grindy for the quick Aggro decks in the meta, but there's a good amount of removal and Thragtusk.

The deck's pretty self-explanatory, throwing Ghouls in the yard early on. Pack Rats and Sphinx capitalize on their ability to return to your hand. Liliana to keep searching up Swamps and act as removal. The rest of the deck is basically removal to deal with Aggro.

Thoughts? 

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

this is probably the first deck that ive seen that could possibly make pack rat work consistantly, with that being said I would take out thragtusk hes a nice card but if hes the only reason your splashing in green then hes probably not worth it, you pack rats would be better served with 3 more rats to help them become the big force they need to be earlier in the game, perhaps typhoid rats or ravenous rats depending on the match up. you might also want to try out underworld connections it can help you constantly draw into sawmps for your veilborn ghoul, also victim of night won't help you too much against rush decks considering that all the rush decks right now are zombie based, I would save it for your sideboard, perhaps replace them with ultimate prices or tragic slips, I would also get rid of one of the sphinx of chimess and one of the liliana of the dark realms they're going to be support staff to your pack rats, having 2 of each of them is enough for the goals of this deck, you would be better served with more drawing spells so you can constatly draw into swamps and more rats; perhaps 2 sign in bloods. Also mutilate, while good against aggro and decks that use lots of multiples will probably work against this deck since you need lots of rat creatures to make pack rat work properly, if you do use mutilate then you will need to make sure your rats are strong enough to survive the hit. also another interesting spell for this deck might be cackling counterpart if you run out of cards to discard or you run out of cards in your hand then you can use cackling counterpart to make sure you get a token for 3 mana, or use its flashback and get that token in a flash, the card is an instant so you can play defensively with it and can cast the flashback at the end of their turn if you want.

EDIT: you might even consider adding some blood artists to the fold and replacing the mutilates with killing waves, this deck is going to be a creature extensive deck one which way or the other because of the nature of pack rat so maybe killing wave + blood artist  combo could offer an easy finisher for this deck, should they inpede your direct assult in some way.
I'm just going to pretend that this is a joke.

Meh, it's a pet deck more than anything. I'm interested in the Ghoul and Sphinx synergy, and I needed a shell where it was worth it. The deck is still really rough. Mercurial Chemister might just be better/more reliable than trying to get the pseudo-combo set up.

I like the idea of Lotleth Troll and Ghoul, just not particularly in a Control build. And Pack Rat isn't necessarily the main focus of the deck. He's good enough on his own, without the need to go Tribal or tokens-based. I don't want to be playing Typhoid Rats or Cackling Counterpart over Thragtusk. Just seems bad.

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

I don't like the sudden popularity with Veilborns. Yes, they're neat with Lotleth or Pack Rat to a lesser extent, but they're simply unplayable by themselves.

So awful.
I have to agree.  Veilborne Ghoul... just seems irrelevant.  This format is not slow.  It's the kind of card I would love to be playable, but on a realistic level isn't.  It's kinda like when Reassembling Skeleton had a fling, except now it costs 5 and goes back to the hand.

Mutilate is a card.

I don't really like Victim of Night as a maindeck card.  Even before considering the weekend's SCG results, it's already dead against almost my entire deck.  It is a fantastic sideboard card against Bant/Selesnya and a handful of other matches.

I would love a deck like this to work, but I'm not sure it has enough power to keep up and close games.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
I have to agree.  Veilborne Ghoul... just seems irrelevant.  This format is not slow.

I'm coming to this realization as the new format starts to develop. The power level of creatures is at an all-time high right now. It's making it really difficult for Control decks to stabilize. Even a 4-mana sweeper like Mutilate/Verdict seems like it's coming out a turn too late.

Ghoul and Sphinx is definitely an interaction that I'd like to keep my eye on though. Drawing four/eight/twelve cards instantly is a very strong effect.

Sign In to post comments