PSN tourney/league 3

282 posts / 0 new
Last post
* SEVENTH ROUND POSTINGS *
Any ties for lead after this round will be broken with a final duel, best of three with their decks of choice.

This is an un-official tournament, just for fun. 
The rules are as follows: 
10 players, full round robin.
Each round each player will be paired with one other player, with randomly selected decks to duel best of 5 games. 
New decks will be included. 
Eack round will start Sunday night at midnight, and players will have 1 week to play, and post to this thread, or no points will be scored.
The tournament will go 10 rounds.  Each win is worth 1 pt.  
Each week players will be matched with a player they haven't played before in a pre-determined random order..
At the end of the 10 weeks the two players with the most points will play, best of three with their decks of choice.  *just a thought, open to discussion*

Players who drop out, or can't play may be replaced with new members to maintain continuity, but please only join the league if your really interested in competing and have some flexible free time, as getting together with other players can be tricky. 

Players
(15) Devil

*(18)Crysus  SS,AW,GM,PI,OD
vs
*(15)Antkour  GG,PK,MS,CL,SS

(12)Logan  CW,PI,CL,BoF,AS
vs
(15)Tripp  SS,PI,AW,CL,PK

*(18)Fma  OD,DP,GM,CL,CW
vs 
*(12)Aaron  DP,AW,ED,BoF,GG

ADDITIONAL GAMES NEEDED TO FINISH TOURNEY

(18)Fma  CL,PI,GG,ED,OD
vs
(18)Crysus  AS,CL,OD,PK,BoF

(12)Aaron  AS,PK,CL,SS,GG
vs
(12)Noob  CM,PK,SS,CL,GG

(15)Tripp  GG,PK,AW,GM,CL
vs
(12)Noob  CM,MS,OD,DP,PI

Good luck!

An asterisk inside the parenthesis means they have an additional game to play.  An asterisk after the parenthesis means that they have, or have had a bye.  An asterisk before the parenthesis means they have played their current round.

well, once again, sign me up.
I'm in as all ways. i think a week may be to long players tend to loss interest maybe we could cut each round down to 5 days just to weed out the no show because there the one who usually take the longest and just in up never playing there match just a suggestion.
I'm in but i think the rules should be exactly the same as the old league coz people are used to that format and there is no need to change the rules.

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

what exactly are the old league rules? 
I believe its time for change because the old way wasn't working. i think it took people to long to play there games so others lost interest. if you cant play your game in 5 days the chances low that your schedule will match up with everyone.
Or better yet we could vote on it. If not it up to aaronjoncheney to decide im down ether way just prefer change.
I'm in but i think the rules should be exactly the same as the old league coz people are used to that format and there is no need to change the rules.

I disagree, I think round robin is much more fun than single elimination as it greatly reduces the "luck" factor.  In the last tourney, I got to the last game of the set and had to mulligan to 5 just to have a single land in my hand, and only drew one more in 10 turns.  That wasn't a loss I could have done anything about.

I disagree, I think round robin is much more fun than single elimination as it greatly reduces the "luck" factor.  In the last tourney, I got to the last game of the set and had to mulligan to 5 just to have a single land in my hand, and only drew one more in 10 turns.  That wasn't a loss I could have done anything about.

Can you explain to me what is round robin? i'm not from any english speaking country...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Can you explain to me what is round robin? i'm not from any english speaking country...

Each round, everyone plays everyone else and move on based on points.

Each round will only be as long as it takes for everyone to play, hopefully that wont be 7 dayz but i think its only fair considering some people are in europe or have busy schedules.
Karstein is in, that makes 6
I got a pm about this.

I will play if there is a challonge created and the decks are preset before we go....

challonge.com/dotpipadtourny4

Anybody can play anybody as all the matches are preset once you create a challonge...it makes a league flow faster because I can play 4 rounds in a week if I want to. That is the bonus of a round robin and a simpler deck selection mechanic.

Other than that, I can't enlist/commit myself to a 10 week tournament when Black Ops 2 comes out in 4 weeks or so .

But I appreciate the invite/offer and I just wanted to respond to it    Good luck to all...
I'm in. Now that I have a new tv, I can't foresee any problems.
Likewise, I can't play if it IS done with this challonge. I agreed to a tournament with 1 round a week, and randome decks. If everybody can play at their own pace, then they can pair that rounds random decks with the opponent that has least chance. Also, doesn't one person get knocked out of it every round? Meh, your choice Aaron, don't mean to put you on the spot. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Likewise, I can't play if it IS done with this challonge. I agreed to a tournament with 1 round a week, and randome decks. If everybody can play at their own pace, then they can pair that rounds random decks with the opponent that has least chance. Also, doesn't one person get knocked out of it every round? Meh, your choice Aaron, don't mean to put you on the spot. 

This is a 10 week league from what I can see. There is also nothing about getting knocked out.

If the decks for each round are picked at random then you cannot mix and match what decks you play against who.

For example: If me and you are set to square off round 8 with random decks that round then we have to play with those decks in that round whether we play the match early next week or we wait 8 weeks from now. See what I mean?

You also have the option of choosing only to play only one match per week if that is your desire. But if you want to bang out a couple of rounds you also have that option.

Count me in.

PSN-ID is fma_11.

But from earlier tournaments experience I don't like having to play every game in a certain week as it has been difficult to get in contact with opponents. There should at least be the possibility to play every match for two weeks.

This is a 10 week league from what I can see. There is also nothing about getting knocked out.

If the decks for each round are picked at random then you cannot mix and match what decks you play against who.

For example: If me and you are set to square off round 8 with random decks that round then we have to play with those decks in that round whether we play the match early next week or we wait 8 weeks from now. See what I mean?

You also have the option of choosing only to play only one match per week if that is your desire. But if you want to bang out a couple of rounds you also have that option.

But you can see everybody elses decks too. You can choose an opponent baed on his decks your way. Not arguing any more. I'm either on or out depending on the rules. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

But you can see everybody elses decks too. You can choose an opponent baed on his decks your way. Not arguing any more. I'm either on or out depending on the rules. 

Who is arguing? I am explaining to you that you are completely misunderstanding me.

If aaron is making random decks for each opponent each round then he can do it before the league begins. When I play you round 8, whether its today or in 2 months from now, we have no choice but to use the random decks we were given for round 8. I don't get to decide to play someone else round 2 with my with my round two. If I decide to play a later round early, we have to use the decks assigned for that round. The challonge presets the schedule and he randomizes the decks for each round before the tournament starts.

Do you now understand what I am saying? This way is absolutely and unequivocally better for a league.

Who is arguing? I am explaining to you that you are completely misunderstanding me.

If aaron is making random decks for each opponent each round then he can do it before the league begins. When I play you round 8, whether its today or in 2 months from now, we have no choice but to use the random decks we were given for round 8. I don't get to decide to play someone else round 2 with my with my round two. If I decide to play a later round early, we have to use the decks assigned for that round. The challonge presets the schedule and he randomizes the decks for each round before the tournament starts.

Do you now understand what I am saying? This way is absolutely and unequivocally better for a league.

I wouldn't say it's better, matter of opinion really, but I don't see a problem if the decks are controlled like that. I would still prefer a week to play round one and then the next round is generated, but meh. We'll see how it goes. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

I wouldn't say it's better, matter of opinion really, but I don't see a problem if the decks are controlled like that. I would still prefer a week to play round one and then the next round is generated, but meh. We'll see how it goes. 

The point is you have that choice. You have no obligation to play more than once a week. But if someone is going away or they will have a busy week they can try to get a round done early. It gives everyone more options at the cost of nothing. And others of us who would like to play 2 rounds a week can do so....

Meh, i'm still a fan of organisation and I don't like the idea of somebody being finishing in a week or so and having nothing else to do. Firm believer in the suspense that builds between matches in football, born and raised that way. Doen't matter, whatever Aaron decides. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Im in of course. 
Meh, i'm still a fan of organisation and I don't like the idea of somebody being finishing in a week or so and having nothing else to do. Firm believer in the suspense that builds between matches in football, born and raised that way. Doen't matter, whatever Aaron decides. 

I agree that it can be nice that way too but personally I am hesitant to get in a 3 month torunament that can fall apart and people will probaly drop out of by the time its over.... A bunch of us already got burned halfway into the Ipad#2 torunament, so I am wary of invensting my time in something like this on the anonymous interwebs if its not done in a manner I think is proper....If we had a challonge and everything set up properly we could have finished the tourny ourselves in Ipad#2 and I would have just done it but I was and still am running tourny #4 so its too much...

Trust me, having to read every post in a thread and sifting through and keeping track of match results and deck choices who played who and updating the first post in a timely fashion requires some time....

I like the challonge idea, but whatever we go with, I'm still in.
For simplicity, I'm leaving the rules as they are.  I apreciate the heads up about Challonge, and the site looks really cool, but I'm gonna keep this simple, and go with the 1 week thing.  I'd love to have you in Killa, but I understand.

FMA 11: sorry, if you can't find time to play in the tourney, then we can't have you.  Thanks for the honesty, I REALLY apreciate that!  And I'm sorry to say no, but we're trying to have our rounds go smoothly, and as quickly as possible. 

Logan, and Antkour are in, that makes 8.
I'll wait another day or so, and then We'll begin with the players we have.  If we have 8 players it will be 8 rounds as everyone plays everyone. 

Lol you speak of football as if you actually watch it. That is unless your referring to soccer.... which to that i say, say soccer gosh darnit!

Oh and if you can get one more in I'd participate, but only because karstien begged. 
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

Lol you speak of football as if you actually watch it. That is unless your referring to soccer.... which to that i say, say soccer gosh darnit!

Oh and if you can get one more in I'd participate, but only because karstien suggested it could be fun

There, fixed. No charge. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
lol, yeah, accepting people until tomorrow night.  Doesnt matter how many people we have, as long as they are reliable, and willing to actually play their matches.  Good to have you.

FMA 11: sorry, if you can't find time to play in the tourney, then we can't have you.  Thanks for the honesty, I REALLY apreciate that!  And I'm sorry to say no, but we're trying to have our rounds go smoothly, and as quickly as possible.

Think you got me wrong here, it's not a matter of my time. What I meant was in previous tourneys it was my opponents which seemed to have no time to play and it often lasted more than one week for me to get in contact and find a time to play. I don't like being punished (by getting 0 points) for my opponent not showing up and you asked for our input. Besides that I'm perfectly fine with one match a week.
Ok, your free to join then.  That makes 10, I'll post first round pairings tomorrow night, good luck everyone!
Can i join the tourney? What time usually you guys play? I'm gmt+7
I posted the first round matches.  the deadline for round 1 is tuesday night Oct 16th
I just played Soritami i won 3-2 it was close

1. dp(me) vs gg(him)- Soritami won to many goblins

2. gm(me) vs ss(him)- I won close game demigod ended the stall

3. od(me) vs cw(him)- he had mana problems i won in 4 turns 

4. cw(me) vs  pi(him)- Soritami won i got mana flooded and tried to stall with fog banks but by turn 10 he had about 11 creature he attack and won

5. as(me) vs ms(him)- I got indestructibility on wall of reverence and stalled into i could play sun titan there was not much he could do at that point. i won.

It always come down to the wire when me and Soritami play good games bro.
Noobgamer, my psn is Von_Carstien. Gotta play sometime this week I guess. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I wanna know the secret tech where OD wins in 4 turns.
I wanna know the secret tech where OD wins in 4 turns.

maybe it was six.
Wow this does not bode well for me, My first round goes like this...

AS(me) vs. PI(fma)Yes karstien I know, why would I pick AS? Well tbh I don't know. Anyway mulled to 5. got stuck on 2 mana for 5 turns... He also had the pretty greaves and timbermaw turn 4. Yeah, no dice, I lose.

CW(me) vs. GM(him): Mulled to 5 again with two hands having 0 mana and 1 with 1. Couldn't do much after a blighting to the face.... I lose.

AW(me) vs. OD(him): This game could have gone either way but after a mistake on my part with a beast within, he seals the deal with 2 shades.... I lose all three.

Wow I really don't think this bodes well for me but one can only hope. Good job fma.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

Week 1
fma_011 vs. tripp2300                       3-0

Game 1:

Pack Instinct vs. Aura Servants

Tripp had to mulligan down to 5 and played only an Invisible Stalker early on. I started attacking with my turn 4 Timbermaw Larva equipped with Lightning Greaves. Turn 6 he had his Stalker up to 6/6, but still had to chump block. I cast Rampaging Baloths and turn 7 I killed a Auramancer with Prey Upon to attack for the win.

Game 2:

Grinning Malice vs. Crosswinds

Tripp had bad luck again and started with 5 cards. Blightning screwed his hand even more. His early game saw only a Sleight of Hand, before I Demonic Tutored for a mountain turn 4 and played my Hellhole Rats turn 5 to steal another card. Turn 6 Ashenmoor Liege + Evolving Wilds. Tripp replicated my rats which let me discard a Demigod of Revenge and gave me the chance for a 18 life finishing blow on turn 7 after casting another Demigod.

Game 3:

Obedient Dead vs. Ancient Wild

After a Medaillon and a Specter I got Phyrexian Obliterator out which became a Beast token soon. Tripp had some elves and a Carven Caryatid and cast Erratic Portal when I cleared the board with Infest. In the later game Tripp got Wild Pair and destroyed my medaillon with an Acidic Slime which I murdered. In the meanwhile I played a Liliana's Shade and a Rune-Scarred Demon. After one attack the demon got killed by Stingerfling Spider, and Tripp filled his side of the board with a Vengevine at 10 life already. Then on my turn I got suddenly disconnected. Tripp immediately gave me the replay and we started again.

With Corrupt, Murder and Diabolic Tutor in hand I was up for finishing to the face. However if Tripp had some lifegain ETB creatures this wouldn’t have worked and maybe I would have had to tutor for Griselbrand or a big Mutilate. He had a strong side with Wild Pair out and I don’t know how it would have ended.

Second try and this time I was able to finish Tripp off before he got enough out of his game winning enchantments. We both built up a big manabase with elves and shades. Of course I had the stronger attack with two Liliana's Shades and a Nekrataal and Tripp had to chump block. When he got Lurking Predators out he was at 12 life already. The enchantment didn’t help him much though as both times the top card was revealed it was a Forest. Tripp tried to defend with Acidic Slime, Beast Within and a Stingerfling Spider, but I had a Murder and got enough damage through to be able to finish him with Sign in Blood.

Well Tripp bad hands, bad match-ups for you and the disconnect. Really felt sorry, you couldn't do too much... GL next game!
Luckily I didn't have to use SS as I haven't unlocked all cards yet and still have to figure out the best build for me.

Can OD even win in 6 turns without a turn two Shade? or a turn two medallion turn three liliana shade with a spitter?

I think a Nantucket can win turn 5

Turn  three does 5 damage... Turn  4 does 6 damage, turn 5 does 7 damage....with a turn one spitter it can win in 5...
Can OD even win in 6 turns without a turn two Shade? or a turn two medallion turn three liliana shade with a spitter?

Turn  three does 5 damage... Turn  4 does 6 damage, turn 5 does 7 damage....with a turn one spitter it can win in 5...

The game was basically this: he played the Nantucket on round 2, I bounced it when he was about to attack on turn 3, and then he played it again, hit me on turn 4, 5 and 6 for 6,7 and 8 damage. I was stuck with 2 lands and couldn't do anything.

Save for this problem the games were a lot of fun though. The first one was pretty cool as he got to put some of my best goblins in play under his control (Krenko and the one that can sac goblin tokens for 2 damage), so it ended up being a bit goblins vs goblins.

Oct 11, 2012 -- 8:08AM, killabkilledb wrote:

The game was basically this: he played the Nantucket on round 2, I bounced it when he was about to attack on turn 3, and then he played it again, hit me on turn 4, 5 and 6 for 6,7 and 8 damage. I was stuck with 2 lands and couldn't do anything.

Save for this problem the games were a lot of fun though. The first one was pretty cool as he got to put some of my best goblins in play under his control (Krenko and the one that can sac goblin tokens for 2 damage), so it ended up being a bit goblins vs goblins.

Did you let him pump the creature first on turn three? If not you made a mistake as if you did he can't cast it until turn 4 and then it has summoning sickness. Turn 5 with 5 swamps it swings for 7, turn 6 with six swamps it swings for 8 and turn 7 it swings for 9 to end the game. Unless he had a turn one spitter out there the whole game it should have gone to 7....that is assuming you bounced the creature before he pumped it....

But either way, without land, you were going to die
Sign In to post comments