YMTC Idol 10: Round 9 PUBLIC Vote-Off (that means ALL OF YOU)

90 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 9th round vote-off of YMTC Idol!

Below are two of the three remaining contestants. Each has been nominated by at least one judge to be eliminated from the contest. I will post the criteria they were given and the submissions that they created. Your job, adoring public, is to vote for the submission you felt was WORST. The person with the most votes will then be eliminated from this year's competition.

EVERYONE is encouraged to join and vote. That includes previous contestants, current contestants, those who didn't participate before, and the judges.

Criteria
[color=purple]Round 9 Criteria[/color]:
And then there were none... I mean three. (Too much Agatha Christie of late.) A lot of interesting designs come in threes. The game usually produces cycles horizontally across the colors, but the rarities have been used as an equal format for connected designs. The fun of this round will be doing both.

Assignment:
Design a vertical cycle (that is, one common, one uncommon, one rare). Each card in this cycle should be a single color, but each part of the cycle should be a different color. Your overall design will be showing the evolution of an idea (whatever idea you choose, no card-type restrictions) from one color to another to the next, while simultaneously creeping up in rarity. Your theme can be whatever you choose, as long as we can see how it grows.

Detektor's submission
57051078 wrote:
Miscarriage of Justice 
Instant
Put Miscarriage of Justice and target instant or sorcery spell on top of their owner's libraries.
Each player fateseals 3.
"The appeal is dismissed. This court finds that the plaintiff and defendant have been treated equally... and what is justice but applied equality?"

Unfair Trade 
Sorcery
Fateseal 3 and scry 3.
Each player draws three cards.
"What are you bellyaching about? Your half of the goods look just fine to me."

Demon of Iniquity 
Creature - Demon
When Demon of Iniquity enters the battlefield, you draw three cards and target opponent discards three cards. Then each player may cast an instant or sorcery card in his or her hand without paying its mana cost.
Flying
"Contract has two definitions: to bargain, and to reduce in size. You see by the asterisk here that I mean both."
8/5

The intent here (besides the unfairness theme) is to make a sort of loose thematic loop that goes spell (counter) -> fateseal (scry) -> draw (discard) -> spell (counter) etc. Also the costs double and the effects get less and less equal as you move from white to black.

Imidazoline's submission
56857718 wrote:
If that were the case you may as well hand it to Detektor right now.

I guess colourless isn't a colour
Student's Scroll -  
Artifact {C}
Sacrifice Student's Scroll: Add to your mana pool. 
The use of scrolls at the academy is two-fold - the teaching of basic artisan skills; and allowing the students to access workable power without overwhelming their tiny brains.

Cut
Break Cover |
Instant {C}
Return target permanent you control to your hand. Add one mana of any color that permanent is to your mana pool.
Sometimes you just have to get out with what you have.

Crystallise Mana |
Enchantment {C}
Sacrifice Crystallise Mana: Add to your mana pool.
The practice of mana crystallisation is used by Masters to teach students the handling of power before tapping the potentially wild flows of more reliable sources.

I like the card but it's not tight enough with the others
Ravage |
Sorcery {U}
Destroy target land and add to your mana pool. If that land was non-basic, add an additional to your mana pool.
"This city is like an apple in the hands of a ravenous troll. It requires care to ensure the seeds are planted, and not consumed." - Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Unravel |
Instant {C}
Destroy target enchantment. Add two mana in any combination of colors that enchantment is to your mana pool.
"The shamans forget that their gildings are mana constructs like any other. Show them it's to better use it."

Fanatical Preacher |
Creature - Viashino Cleric {U}
Haste
Sacrifice Fanatical PreacherFanatical Preacher deals 2 damage to each blocking creature.
When Fanatical Preacher dies, add to your mana pool.
He gladly is the match that looses the Glory of creation.
2/2

Soulsnare Shaman |
Creature - Elf Shaman {R}
, Sacrifice a creature: Add the sacrificed creature's mana cost to your mana pool. (Mana cost includes color).
"The eyes certainly are the window to the soul, but for a really good look I find it best to get them out of the way."

2/2 

Flavour in progress acceptable but subject to change.

Pretty sure it's clear enough how that evolves.

Voting closes on Tuesday. Good luck, contestants!
What happens if this vote off is a tie?

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

In the event of a tie, I flip a Chaos Orb to choose the winner.
Detektor's submission
Imidazoline Injection 
Tribal Instant - Chirurgeon (C)
Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all numbers with 2 until end of turn. (This effect doesn't affect mana costs, power or toughness.)
"The patient's blood pressure appears to be completely stable, sir."

Razor-borne Infection 
Tribal Instant - Chirurgeon (u)
Change the text of target creature by replacing all instances of that card's name with "each creature". (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"This is an unacceptable breach of hygiene. Not only did you lose the patient, you spread his sepsis to Fiefward Three!"

Detector Inspection 
Tribal Instant - Chirurgeon (R)
Change the text of target artifact by replacing all instances of instances of "Sacrifice" with "Tap", all instances of  with , or all instances of mana costs with . (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"Our scans have revealed a beeble-shaped tumour in the left hemisphere. Either an immediate operation is necessary, or something is terribly wrong with the apparatus."

That's wasn't Detektor's Submission. I don't think.

Edit: This was:
Show
Miscarriage of Justice 
Instant
Put Miscarriage of Justice and target instant or sorcery spell on top of their owner's libraries.
Each player fateseals 3.
"The appeal is dismissed. This court finds that the plaintiff and defendant have been treated equally... and what is justice but applied equality?"

Unfair Trade 
Sorcery
Fateseal 3 and scry 3.
Each player draws three cards.
"What are you bellyaching about? Your half of the goods look just fine to me."

Demon of Iniquity 
Creature - Demon
When Demon of Iniquity enters the battlefield, you draw three cards and target opponent discards three cards. Then each player may cast an instant or sorcery card in his or her hand without paying its mana cost.
Flying
"Contract has two definitions: to bargain, and to reduce in size. You see by the asterisk here that I mean both."
8/5

The intent here (besides the unfairness theme) is to make a sort of loose thematic loop that goes spell (counter) -> fateseal (scry) -> draw (discard) -> spell (counter) etc. Also the costs double and the effects get less and less equal as you move from white to black.

Frickin frick. Changing the poll, changing the thread, revote!

EDIT: If you already voted, I've changed the poll, so revote. Take into account that I put the wrong submission up for Detektor (and that it was mostly his fault.
Heh, currently, things don't look good for one of them.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Detektor's cards all read "target game stops being fun" to me, so I had to vote for him. Imi's cards look like they may be on the "nuts" end of the power curve, but I think his core idea is sound in a way that Detektor's is not.
this is a little awkward as a contestant, but here goes. I agree with Mown that, in the context of a set, you would never notice that either of these were a cycle. therefore, we can ignore that and look at the individual cards.

I think that Imi's cards had a lot more basic flaws, like the preacher's mana being hard to access unless you're willing to just waste his ability outside of combat, or unravel being probably pretty underpowered compared to naturalize. but I think the flaws Detek's had were much more severe where they existed, amounting often to, as Turnip said, "target game stops being fun." the Miscarriage especially is just brutal on the enjoyment aspect of the game. it's tahnargth's glare, except you never get the cards they don't want you to have, and it's card neutral (it stops their spell) so it's easier to run, which is a bad thing for blatant griefer cards. Unfair Trade is the best of the bunch, I worry about the power, but even giving them three crappy cards is still a relevant drawback. the demon comes out so late that it can get away with being that funsmashingly crazy, but even then, it feels lackluster. as one of the judges (Kavu I think) pointed out, your opponent will rarely have more than three cards anyway by that point, so they wind up with nothing. also on top of that, that seems like the only goal, since, if they have four cards, they still get to cast their best instant or sorcery, they just discard everything else. so the two part look connected in ways they really aren't. maybe if the discard was at random it'd be better. but then that'd be even worse in other ways. there's also the issue of pay 8 to cast a spell for free.

this is a hard call, and I'd be tempted to let it be swayed by who I'd rather face in the finals, but I don't want to face either of you in the finals, so I'm gonna vote to eliminate both of you and declare me the winner of everything. I can do that, right? no? fine, I think I have to vote for Detek. sorry bro.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Detektor's submission has the redeeming quality of having Miscarriage of Justice in it, which is a flat-out really awesome design. The other cards were good designs, but not spectacular. They were really average. And I agree with Raze and Mown that they aren't very recognizable as a cycle.

Imidazoline's cards lacked that flair that Miscarriage of Justice had, and suffers from the same problems that the rest of Detektor's submission had. So, sorry Imid, but I voted for you.

Raze, your submission was awesome, by the way. I particularly enjoyed the blue common. The effect is definitely very blue, very common, but still super excellent. Unless if the other finalist proves otherwise, you have my vote for the final. 
Raze, your submission was awesome, by the way. I particularly enjoyed the blue common. The effect is definitely very blue, very common, but still super excellent. Unless if the other finalist proves otherwise, you have my vote for the final. 

aw, thanks. here, I got you a picture of a snake.

For simplicity's sake, can we just say that Detek and I can vote?

Unless someone would prefer to post running tallies. 
For simplicity's sake, can we just say that Detek and I can vote?

Unless someone would prefer to post running tallies. 

EVERYONE is encouraged to join and vote. That includes previous contestants, current contestants, those who didn't participate before, and the judges.

Rush changed it after the nightmare last round trying to get people to see the results.

Oh right missed that (clearly).

Well, I'm voting for Detek, because I'd like to make the final again. 
I feel as though I should have some sort of bonus because only one judge picked me.
I feel as though I should have some sort of bonus because only one judge picked me.

you do. you have one less vote.

True, but the judges' opinions could have affected voters if they were included as part of the OP.

True, but the judges' opinions could have affected voters if they were included as part of the OP.

If you want my real opinion then it's "I honestly don't know".
I'm not participating in the voting this time, because I really can't choose one and say that I think I made the right choice. As I said, it's more about what part of the criteria I put an emphasis on.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

bump.

more votes.

I voted Detektor.  His cards were interesting to an extent, but I do find fault with the demon and the whole discard thing being underwhelming.  The common, however, really doesn't feel common at all and that's something I feel Imi did a lot better.  Plus, his rare was actually pretty cool.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Could someone let me know how the votes are tracking?

I have the same complaint of my office's shoddy IT stuff as before.
Could someone let me know how the votes are tracking?

I have the same complaint of my office's shoddy IT stuff as before.

you've got 54%.

Boo.
I need more nails to bite.

yeah the vote is really close.

yeah the vote is really close.

Could you really live with the guilt of my being eliminated and you never getting a finals criteria? I mean, unless you're planning on asking ty to resume his old charge and make one... 

Hey, wait, can that happen?

ty???
You're closing this at midnight, right?
It's exactly 50% now so this is pretty tense.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
It's exactly 50% now so this is pretty tense.

It is leaning very very slightly towards Detektor though. But I guess Rush can get ready his Chaos Orb.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
If it ends up tied, Imidazoline and I merge into a single user whose only goal is to eliminate razorborne in the finals.

It closes at the same time it was opened. Sorta the opposite of Harry's golden snitch (but not really).

It closes at the same time it was opened. Sorta the opposite of Harry's golden snitch (but not really).

8.5/10 for the allusion.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
If it ends up tied, Imidazoline and I merge into a single user whose only goal is to eliminate razorborne in the finals.

Vote Detektazoline for this year's Idol!

Vote Detekazoline for this year's Idol!

Imidetektor, surely.
imidazorborne
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
imidazorborne

that makes no sense

also the correct answer is Detektazoline FYI

Detektazorboline.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
We are not amused.
my god
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
That was strangely uncomfortable.

Though I suppose as long as we use our powers for good everything will be OK.
I thought about doing something like that, but then I thought, "Nah, it would be too silly".
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
If y'all keep being this silly, I'm gonna make sure KAMOW votes you off next round.