Blackguard/Sorcerer Hybrid - PEACH

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,
I would like comments on the Blackguard/Sorcerer Hybrid below. It is meant as a durable striker off-tank in a small party of 3-4 characters.

Blackguard/Sorcerer-Executioner; Eladrin, Born under a Bad Sign, Sarifal Feywarden, Spirit of Fury, Questing Knight
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 18 [Dex 13 allows Sorcerer Implement Expertise at Epic, and patches the weakest defense]
1 Ardent Strike, Blazing Starfall, Valorous Smite, Majestic Halo; Hybrid Talent Paladin Armor
2 Call of Challenge; Practiced Killer
3 Flame Spiral
4 Commanding Vow
5 Slaad's Gambit
6 Sudden Scales; Ki Focus Expertise
7 Lightning Cuts [abandon shield, switch to off-hand dagger]
8 Deadly Draw

Blazing Arc Ki Focus 
Shielding Blade Longsword +1
Rhythm Blade Dagger+1
Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth [x2]
Dwarven Armor, Plate
Badge of the Berserker
Gloves of Piercing
Iron Armbands
Horned Helm
Rushing Cleats

Symbol of Champion’s Code - get when funds permit. May lag behind.
Power Jewel - get more than 1 when funds permit

The basic tactic is this, excluding the use of dailies:
Round 1: Sarifal’s Blessing, Charge with Ardent Strike+Horned Helm+Practiced Killer+Sarifal+Slide AP Flame Spiral+Sarifal, Call of Challenge [nb. may slide enemies to Flame Spiral with Commanding Vow & gains CA from Deadly Draw]
Offturn: Sudden Scales; Flame Spiral+Sarifal OR Divine Sanction
Round 2: move, Valorous Smite [with CA due to DD last turn=Dark Menace & bloodied Spirit of Vice + Sarifal], Lightning Cuts [Sarifal]
Round 3: Feystep & charge with Ardent Strike+Horned Helm [nb CA from DD=Dark Menace & bloodied Spirit of Vice ]

The ki-focus makes attacks fiery, which allows Sarifal's Blessing's vulnerability to trigger. Commanding Vow allows sliding with DS, which in turn may trigger Flame Spiral and grant CA due to Deadly Draw. CA brings extra damage from Dark Menace and Sprit of Fury.

I am not entirely clear how to develop the charcter further. What I have in mind so far is: 
9 Prime the Fire
10 Fog Form; Improved Defenses
11 Strength of Ten, Fiery Blood PP: Questing Knight
12 Quester’s Discipline, Superior Will
13 Castigating Strike (replaces lvl 1)
14 Two Weapon Fighting
15 Knight's Defiance (replaces lvl 1)
16 Draconic Majesty, Two Weapon Opening

After this, things get more hazy. In particular, I do not want to replace Flame Spiral, and Lightning Cuts is pretty useful as well, given that it is a minor action attack. 

Comments?

Now with some numbers at level 8, setting out the results of the three round basic tactic outlined above. Note that I replaced Blood Fury Weapon with a Shielding Blade to improve AC, which is now 27 (=19+lvl), as I expect to draw a fair level of aggro.

Round 1: Charge (assume no CA) with Ardent Strike+Horned Helm+Practiced Killer=75%x1d8+1d8+1d6+10+5=21
Flame Spiral (with CA from Deadly Draw)=65%x1d10+12+5=15 to the main target [55%x22.5=12 to two others]
Call of Challenge: 1d6+17 to targets entering square adjacent [+Deadly Draw activated for CA]=20.5
Flame Spiral start turn next to: 20.5
=Round 1: 77 damage to primary, 53 to secondaries; many enemies under Divine Sanction

Round 2: Valorous Smite [assume CA from Deadly Draw and that there are bloodied creatures adjacent]=80%x2d8+10+5+9=26
Lightning Cuts [assume CA from Deadly Draw]=90%x2d4+9+5=17
=Round 2: 43 damage to primary, many enemies under Divine Sanction

Round 3: Ardent Strike charge [assume CA from DD and bloodied]=85%x1d8+1d6+10+9=23

Result: In three rounds 143 points of damage to the primary target, 53 to up-to two secondary targets. This omits the possibility of critical hits, Divine Sanctions activating, and allies sliding enemies into the Flame Spiral, so in reality the output is higher. At level 8, a skirmisher has 84HP.
I'd probably move stats around so you can start with a 20 CHA.  It boosts pretty much everything you use, but especially accuracy.  I'd probably just take it all out of STR since you don't really seem to use it for anything but fort.

I'm also pretty sure you can't Divine Challenge after charging.  You can do your AP attack and any other free action things, but that's it.
Thanks. Strength also adds to damage with sorcerer powers, but I agree that the stats may need rethinking.

You can use Ardent Strike on a charge, and on a hit the target becomes subject to divine sanction, which then allows for slide due to Commanding Vow and may grant CA due to Deadly Draw.
20 CHA will boost your DS damage, your CHA powers' accuracy while leaving their damage basically unaffected.  It does weaken Draconic Majesty when you hit lvl 16, but that's hardly enough reason not to do it.

Also, going Tiefling gives you access to Wrath of the Crimson Legion (nets you CHA MBA and Call of Challenge +), plus a host of other very useful good feats.

Just as a confirmation, Call of Challenge + Flame Spiral is a very nice combo.  I ran this hybrid in a game through lvl 14, and it was almost always an affective catch-22.
Thanks. I will rethink the ability scores.

The reason for eladrin is the awesome Sarifal Feywarden theme, which is only available for non-drows with fey origin and will turbocharge the flame spiral. Fey Step can also help.

The build gets even nastier when I have enough money for Power Jewels.
Round 1 get into position.
Round 2: Sarifal's Blessing, Lightning Cuts, Flame Spiral AP Valorous Smite (with Commanding Vow slide)
Round 3: Power Jewel, Flame Spiral, Call of Challenge (with Commanding Vow slide and Sarifal still active)
Just as a confirmation, Call of Challenge + Flame Spiral is a very nice combo.  I ran this hybrid in a game through lvl 14, and it was almost always an affective catch-22.

Did you have any difficulties with fire resistant creatures, or tricks to deal with them, apart from the obvious Gloves of Piercing?

Did you have any thoughts on how to develop the character towards late paragon and epic? It would seem to me that this is an excellent build for much of heroic and paragon, but I really have little idea of what to do with it after 16. It would seem a bit odd to be using level 3 encounter powers at 30. Of course, this is pretty theoretical, as the chances of us actually reaching epic are slim, but I do like to plan ahead.

It would seem a bit odd to be using level 3 encounter powers at 30. 

Sorcerers don't outgrow Flame Spiral, even at 30.  You get lots of other nice things to do, but Flame Spiral is still one of them.

Did you have any difficulties with fire resistant creatures, or tricks to deal with them, apart from the obvious Gloves of Piercing?

Did you have any thoughts on how to develop the character towards late paragon and epic? It would seem to me that this is an excellent build for much of heroic and paragon, but I really have little idea of what to do with it after 16. It would seem a bit odd to be using level 3 encounter powers at 30. Of course, this is pretty theoretical, as the chances of us actually reaching epic are slim, but I do like to plan ahead.

I went Morninglord for my PP, so I was more focused on radiant than fire damage.  Fire resistant creatures came and went, it would just mean that I would take more of an off-tank roll that fight than that of a striker.

It is a decent combo, lets not pretend DC/DS are more than "pesky".

to the OP: You can't Call of Challenge after charging, even if you had AP'd to Flame Spiral.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

It is a decent combo, lets not pretend DC/DS are more than "pesky".

to the OP: You can't Call of Challenge after charging, even if you had AP'd to Flame Spiral.

OK, not a problem, thankfully. I just have to have a setup round of move and charge with Ardent Strike, followed by the nova round of Sarifal, Lightning Cuts, Flame Spiral AP Valorous Smite. 

Unfortunately Blackguard hybrids do not qualify for the Weakening Challenge feat, because that would make DC/DS a beast. However, the beauty is that with Commanding Vow and Rushing Cleats you get to slide enemies 2 when you subject them to DS, which brings fodder to the Flame Spiral. With Deadly Draw you then gain CA, which Blackguards like.
Sign In to post comments