Haven't Played for 5 years. What changed?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys. Title said it. I haven't played M:tG since Shards of Alara came out. I've been a fairly successful competitive player back then (well, as far as the M:tG scene in the Philippines go). I decided to return to Magic since it's a new block and the meta's still undecided, and I'm curious as to what changed from Magic and the competitive scene compared to 5 years ago. I'll raise some points for (hopeful) discussion. 

1) Planeswalker points, how do they work? Are these affected by my old points?
2) A friend of mine mentioned it's harder to get into Nationals and Worlds now since there are no qualifiers for that and it would depend on how you fared during the whole year. Can you guys expound on this if this is true?
3) Any major change on rulings? I noticed they changed some wordings like "play" into "battlefield" and "remove from game" into "exile". These are pretty intuitive changes, but are there some things I've missed?

Thanks in advance! 
For all practical purposes, Extended is now Modern. There's still Extended, but it's only four years, so detractors (the majority of players) call it Double Standard. (Sunglasses and "YEEEAAAHHH!" optional.) Modern doesn't rotate, though. Anything from Eighth Edition and Mirrodin onward is legal. The ban list is aggressive, though.

Design's changed again. Scars of Mirrodin and Innistrad had two major themes. (Artifacts and counters for Scars, tribal and graveyard for Innistrad.)

Do you know planeswalker rules?

Planeswalkers ETB with a number of loyalty counters. That's in the lower right-hand corner. Once per turn, you can activate an ability, adding or subtracting the required number of loyalty counters. A planeswalker with no loyalty goes to the graveyard as a state-based effect, and you musthave the required number of loyalty counters to remove those counters.

Planeswalkers can be attacked, and the defending player's creatures can block them.

Non-combat damage can also be redirected to a planeswalker.

They also have a variant legend rule. Jace Beleren, Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Jace, Memory Adept, and Jace, Architect of Thought all have the subtype "Jace", so if two or more of them are on the battlefield, they all go to the graveyard.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Moving to the New and Returning Players Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Yeah, experienced some of the planeswalker rules during Lorwyn block.

And sorry for the wrong thread placement!

Any news on planeswalker points and how they actually work? 
Any news on planeswalker points and how they actually work? 

Planeswalker points have nothing to do with the old Elo rating system--it's a completely different idea. Elo ratings were, roughly, supposed to be a measure of skill--someone with a higher rating was supposedly a better player than someone with a lower rating. Planeswalker points are cross between a measure of your level of activity and your level of success--the tagline is "Playing is good. Winning is better."

Players get points for participating in events, and get more points when they win matches. Points are cumulative over the course of a season/year; players who achieve specific point thresholds get certain benefits, like byes at GPs, and can qualify for some events. There's also a lifetime points record, which acts as a measure of your involvement with the game since you started playing in sanctioned events, and an achievements system.

All the changes to the rules since you last played can be found in [thread=973044]The Returning Player Rules Primer[/thread].

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

So are my old matches from 5 years ago in sanctioned events disregarded? I've gotten Top 8/16 in a lot of big events, so you can see why I'm concerned if that will go to waste. I would also like to enter the Nationals next year if I can so does that mean I need to join and consistently win in several sanctioned tournaments the whole year if I want a chance of catching up? How hard would it be to catch up?
So are my old matches from 5 years ago in sanctioned events disregarded? I've gotten Top 8/16 in a lot of big events, so you can see why I'm concerned if that will go to waste.

All sanctioned events you've ever played should be included in the total.

I would also like to enter the Nationals next year if I can so does that mean I need to join and consistently win in several sanctioned tournaments the whole year if I want a chance of catching up? How hard would it be to catch up?

Nationals no longer exists in quite the same form it did, so entering Nationals is a no-go. However, the World Magic Cup Qualifiers serve basically the same purpose, so that's probably the closest current equivalent. They're invitation-only events, and invitation details can be found here.

Basically, you need to reach a certain threshold of yearly points (the exact number differs depending on your country) in order to be invited to WMCQ events for your country. How you do that is irrelevant--you could potentially do it by entering a ton of events and bombing out of every single one of them. (Though it'd be really, really hard--winning a lot of matches would do it much easier.) For the Phillipines it looks like the threshold is 300 points; starting now (technically last April, but it's hard to start retroactively), simply accumulate 300 points before the end of the qualifying period (March 17th) and you're invited to the qualifiers, which start in April.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Ouch. Just a little time left, then. Do my lifetime points affect the yearly points I need to earn or no? Or is it like, if you're level 0 but you earned 300 points the whole year, you can join the World magic Cup Qualifiers?

So does this mean I need to win more or less 100 matches before March 17? Bummer. 
Essentially it works the other way arround. Yearly pro or competitive points contribute to your lifetime total. These pro/com points are reset each year, and are the ones that can contribute to byes, invites, pro-player club membership, etc.

Regular magic events (such as FMN) are x1 events, so 100 of those matches would make 300 points BUT...

Game days are x2 events
Grand Prix Trials are x3 events
Pro-Tour Qualifiers are x5 events

However these bigger events tend to happen less frequently (about once a season/set release), and require some traveling (There's usually only 1 PTQs per region per season).

- Cheers, - Dan R. (lv1 magic judge, Advanced organizer) http://butlerwpn.blogspot.com, my rather basic event blog.

Okay so I googled Planeswalker Points and some told me that FNMs are x3 events and some told me it's X1. Which one is it?
Okay so I googled Planeswalker Points and some told me that FNMs are x3 events and some told me it's X1. Which one is it?

Friday Night Magic is 1x. The event multipliers are listed on the Planeswalker Points site. It has all of the information.

Stick to official sources (and make sure they are up to date). ;)

FNM started off as 3x multiplyer until they realised how stupid that was, and they fixed it.

~ Tim     

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Well, don't think i'll make this year. I'll play this year for fun then accumulate points on March onwards. Thanks guys!