G/W Populate Deck Discussion

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys,

I've made a Populate deck but it's so slow and weak. Anyone know a good deck list that is relatively competitive for standard?

I was lucky enough to pull an Armada Wurm and Growing Ranks. I also bought the intro deck and have the promo card land. But, there aren't many good populate targets besides the big 8/8 and 5/5 Armada Wurm token. So I have to spend 2 mana and sometimes 4 to populate a 1/1 spirit?

This is more of a deck advice, card list that I might have missed, anything will help.

Thanks 
call of the conclave as a definite 4-of. You should also consider garruk, primal hunter both because of the beast tokens, and because of card draw.

Many people seem to prefer garruk relentless, but I think primal hunters ability to  draw cards will be invaluable against control, and relentless will be facing many bigger creatures than just 2/2s that will kill it.

You should also consider that fog-populate spell  whose name escapes me. It can be a blowout against decks with aggro-tendencies.  
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
Hey thanks for the response! 

I really like the garruk, primal hunter idea, compeltely different think about that. So far, I want to also use Cackling Counterpart. Probably going to do G/W/B since I have a play set of Sunpetal Grove.

So far I've found cards to use are (aside from the obvious ones):

Cackling Counterpart
Back from the brink
Parallel Lives
Geist-Honored Monk
Captain of the watch
(maybe) Odric, Master Tactician
 Thraben Doomsayer
Seller of Songbirds or Attended Knight 

Any others that people can think of? Mainly in Innistrad to Avacyn since I didn't play back then. I pretty much know all the Return to Ravnica ones, but all the tokens seem so lackluster and I feel that populate is wasted on 1/1s and sometimes 3/3.
like Bloodartist said call of the conclave is awesome, a 3/3 populate target for two mana is really good.

it seems like your trying to hard to win big, instead of just win. if you are populating 5/5s or bigger you've probably got the game all but won anyways.

a turn two call of the conclave, turn three populate with like Rootborn Defenses swing with your guy for 3, turn four drop Intangible Virtue swing for 8 and you still have probably 2 open mana for something else.
not including land you would have played only 3 cards and most likely have some options still in hand. by turn five you would force them to do something big or just lose.

swinging in with 10 5/5 wurms is cool but the problem is surviving long enough to make it happen.
Well it's more for the fun of creating a usable deck for me. I'm kinda leaning towards a G/W/U deck with Cackling Counterpart. I also want to include Lingering Souls and Intangible Virtue. Somehow...

I just like to know what options are out there. The deck I have now is a flicker deck with Thragtusk and Restoration Angel and have done fairly well. 

As for call of the conclave, I definately will have in my deck and same with selesnya charm and maybe azorious charm. We will see. Always fun during the next rotation to come up with different deck ideas
I'm going to try to use geist of saint traft along with possibly the angel token miricle card think that could be sweet but im still new to the game so still learning to buld quality decks
It may be worth it to invest in some hexproof creatures to Cackling Counterpart and then populate. Then your deck won't backfire so miserably to (for example) Silent Departure, Cyclonic Rift and Detention Sphere.

I recommend Invisible Stalker, Intangible Virtue, and maybe Collective Blessing for late game Stalker drops (against Curse of Death's Hold or global damage effects.

There's also Primal Huntbeast and Lumberknot, and getting angels off of GoST is never a bad idea.
So here is my deck list as of right now (without the Cackling Counterpart - still haven't found a good equilibrium yet)

Creatures:

Wild Beastmaster x 2
Gatecreeper Vine x 4
Seller of Songbirds x 2- I like this better than Attended Knight
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage x 2 
Wayfaring Temple x 3
Geist-Honored Monk x 1 (willing to take out)
Precinct Captain x 1
Deadbridge Goliath x 1
Armada Wurm x 1

Spells:

Sorcery:
Call of the Conclave x 4
Entreat the Angels x 1 
Selesnya Charm x 2

Enchantment:
Rancor x 4 
Ethereal Armor x 3
Mana Bloom x 1
Collective Blessing x 1

Instant:
Rootborn Defenses x 2
Druid's Deliverance x 1
Sundering Growth x 2

Artifact:
Chromatic Lantern x 1 

Land:
Grove of the Guardian x 3
Selesnya Guildgate x 2
Sunpetal Grove x 4
Forest x 6
Plains x 7
It may be worth it to invest in some hexproof creatures to Cackling Counterpart and then populate. Then your deck won't backfire so miserably to (for example) Silent Departure, Cyclonic Rift and Detention Sphere.

I recommend Invisible Stalker, Intangible Virtue, and maybe Collective Blessing for late game Stalker drops (against Curse of Death's Hold or global damage effects.

There's also Primal Huntbeast and Lumberknot, and getting angels off of GoST is never a bad idea.

Very very good idea. I'll start looking up different hexproof creatures. But if i go invisible stalker, it's looking just an invisible stalker deck lol. But looking at it, it looks really good
Here's my decklist. Playtested and plays very tempo/fast.

Deck by TheKameo:

land:
4 Plains
9 Forest
3 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
2 Gavony Township

Creatures:
3 Restoration Angel
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Arbor Elf
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
3 Thragtusk
2 Armada Wurm
3 Dryad Militant

Sorceries:
3 Call of the Conclave

Instants:
2 Druid's Deliverance

Enchantments:
1 Soul Tithe
2 Oblivion Ring
4 Rancor

I'm saying this in as serious way as possible. Trostani and Pack Rat are best friends in a sick and degenerate way. Cut the smiter to the sideboard and try 4 of them instead. Smiter is weird anyway.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Pointing out the obvious here, but Thragtusk is a great pick.  Whenever it dies/flickers you get another 3/3 to populate, and it's solid enough to run alone.

4/4 Angels seem like a great populate target.  Several ways to make them.  GoST, Moonsilver spear, Entreat, did I miss any?

It also occurs to me that you could populate the 5/5 Flying Demons from Demonic Rising if you could set it up. 
Builds and Guides The Cosmonaut a build that teleports foes into space. November Errata Item Guide a guide to equipping Avengers and Strikers after the November errata. 100% Crit Rate Ardent Champion an Avenger combo that autocrits and/or inflicts infinite damage at level 11.
"It also occurs to me that you could populate the 5/5 Flying Demons from Demonic Rising if you could set it up."

Don't forget the Skirsdag High Priest

Also, in regards to Cackling Counterpart. Don't forget that's it's a hard card to tri-color, and that, seeing as it's a four-of with a unique ability in Standard right now, it could make for an unreliable deck. Phantasmal Image would change things, but... alas.. 'tis no more.
Just started playing Magic again after a few years, having nearly all of my cards being stolen a couple of times made me take vacations.

I bought the selesnya surge deck X3 and refined it into the following populate deck. There are a few other cards I would really like to get my hands on , but this is a good start:

LAND
1X Rogue's Passage
3X Grove of the Guardian
4X Selesnya Guildgate
6X Forest
6X Plains

Creatures 19
4X Centaur's Herald
3X Healer of the Pride
3X Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
3X Phantom General
3X Wayfaring Temple
2X Centaur Healer

Spells 21
4X Eyes in the Skies
4X Chorus of Might
3X Trostani's Judgment
3X Rootborn Defenses
3X Druid's Deliverance
3X Call of the Conclave
1X Night Soil

Call of the Conclave is a sorcery and Night Soil is an enchantment, all the rest are instants.
This is pretty nice because I play most of my mana and spells on my opponents turn which means I get surprise blockers and my tokens never have summoning sickness. I have only lost 3 games out of the 30 I have played with this deck: 1 was because I was  mana swamped; 1 because I drew no white mana; one because I misplayed my deck. So basically I have won every game that I wasn't stupid or had bad luck.

I have no sideboard, but I do have a few cards I want to put in it, I'm merely waiting until I have more of the ones I don't have:
Standard
Parallel Lives
Growing Ranks
Seance
Sundering Growth
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
Collective Blessing
Intangible Virtue

Modern
Rhys the Redeemed
Doubling Season
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Mimic Vat
Soul Foundry
Spitting Image
Splinter Twin
True Conviction
Llanowar Mentor

Vintage
Juniper Order Ranger
Riku of Two Reflections
Parallel Evolution
Dual Nature
Echo Chamber

A few of these cards (most notably Rhys, too bad he's legendary and expensive) could make this deck really OP. Doubling Season and Parallel Lives effects are multiplicative, not additive,  so 2 of one of them or one of each of them would make you put out 4 tokens when 1 comes out, not 3. Dual Nature would let you make unlimited copies of things like Phantom General or Healer of the Pride since there is no limit on how many tokens you can have. Echo Shield and Mimic Vat would do the same, you would just have to make sure to populate it once before the end of the turn you made the copy. It wouldn't work for Heat Shimmer since the exile effect is written on the token instead of the card. I think being able to turn your regular creatures into tokens too is the next logical evolution of this deck. Llanowar Mentor is nice too because all of a sudden your tokens give you mana too (well some of them at least).

If you can find some way to work an Elvish Archdruid in with some elf tokens and an equipment like an Umbral Mantle or a Sword of the Paruns and you could find yourself with unlimited green mana, work in a creature that produces other colors Birds of Paradise and you have unlimited mana of any color your creature(s) can produce. Now the only caveat here is it would only be on your turn that you have unlimited mana of any color since equipment can only be equipped when sorceries may be cast, but as long as you end your turn with it on your archdruid you would still have unlimited green mana.
Pretty sure after the first time I had cards stolen from me, I learned my lesson. Find it hard to see how one can have it happen more than twice, and even thats extreme.

Also, super necrooooo 

(at)MrEnglish22

Pretty sure after the first time I had cards stolen from me, I learned my lesson. Find it hard to see how one can have it happen more than twice, and even thats extreme.

Also, super necrooooo 

Only happened to me twice, I quit playing for like 5-10 years each time. There really was no lesson to learn, when people break into your car and/or house and steal your stuff that's just bad luck, not stupidity or ignorance.

Necro, eh this popped up on google when I was looking for suggestions for good cards for a populate deck.
Was only a couple weeks old, not much of a necro IMHO.
Now if it was a year or so then I would agree with it being a super necro.

Also, super necrooooo 

Only happened to me twice, I quit playing for like 5-10 years each time. There really was no lesson to learn, when people break into your car and/or house and steal your stuff that's just bad luck, not stupidity or ignorance.

Necro, eh this popped up on google when I was looking for suggestions for good cards for a populate deck.
Was only a couple weeks old, not much of a necro IMHO.
Now if it was a year or so then I would agree with it being a super necro.

See, those are the situations I consider "extreme." Generally card theft stories are people having stuff lifted at stores or events.

Generally 3 weeks isn't too bad, but these forums have a tendency to have threads die if there isn't a post in them after two days.

A lot of the cards you listed aren't standard legal, which would be an issue in this specific forums (other areas cater to non-standard). That said, look into Presence of Gond (non-standard), Garruk Relentless (standard) or Garruk, Primal Hunter (standard)

(at)MrEnglish22

See, those are the situations I consider "extreme." Generally card theft stories are people having stuff lifted at stores or events.

Generally 3 weeks isn't too bad, but these forums have a tendency to have threads die if there isn't a post in them after two days.

A lot of the cards you listed aren't standard legal, which would be an issue in this specific forums (other areas cater to non-standard). That said, look into Presence of Gond (non-standard), Garruk Relentless (standard) or Garruk, Primal Hunter (standard)

I had just figured out the standard legal thing which is why I edited py previous post to sort legality, thanks for the heads up though. 
I just kind of did a refined search on gatherer for standard legal cards that should go well with this deck concept tinyurl.com/d4bptvs
I like the idea of combining Parallel Lives with Feed the PackSeance, and Growing Ranks: sacrifice a creature to put tokens into play at the end of your turn then bring 4 tokens of the creature you sacrificed into play next turn. One of them would go away at turn's end of course, but I think that's the master play for a standard legal populate deck. If the creature you are sacing is say a phantom general or a Healer of the Pride or a Wayfaring Temple then the amount of life you gain goes up exponentially, or the size of your creatures does.
first thing: 20 lands is WAY below where you want to be
second thing: you reallly want Thragtusk and Garruk, Primal Hunter here
third: Sunpetal Grove and Temple Garden
fourth: you seem to be wanting to ramp more than go with the aggro plan - you need Avacyn's Pilgrim, and maybe Farseek
fifth: Rancor, Rancor, and Rancor

Sorry lots of the people on this forum aren't going to help you - but there are some of us on here that will. PM me if you have any more questions or need any feedback. And also, if you want to play White/Green, I would suggest a Humans list. It's not as gimmicky as the populate idea, and can dish out some serious pain in the first few turns, as well as having (some) sustainability into late game. 
I definitely do want to pick up some of those sunpetal groves. I have never really had a problem with 20 lands, I like the 1:3 ratio. Rancor is kind of expensive (like $2.50) at least compared to Ring of Kalonia ($0.25)

I tried the Feed the Pack Seance Growing Ranks combo but it was way too slow, would probably only work lurking in the weeds in multiplayer. I tried speeding it up with Elvish Visionarys and Dawntreader Elks, but in order to speed my land up it made it so I was short on creatures to kill. 

I basically refined my deck quite a bit and it seems to be working a lot better. I am thinking about picking up a few more Garruk, Primal Hunters, as I did grab one, and plan on combining it with Reliquary Tower to be able to use his second ability effectively. In my revamped deck I have 4 Wayfaring Temples, and 4 Geist-Honored Monks and using his ability seems ludicrous when you have an 18/18 creature out there. This seems like probably the best overall speed combination to me. Of course by the time this is really usefule it's kind of late, but if I have multiples I can pretty much use his second ability the first turn I have him (killing him) and be almost guaranteed to get another soon.

My current deck list, which has been stomping on people way harder than the other was:
Legend
Life Gaining
Direct Token generation
Indirect Token generation
Pay to use token generation
Other Utility
Lands
Grove of the Guardian X3
Rogue's Passage X1
Forest X8
PlainsX8
Enchantments
Growing Ranks X2
Parallel Lives X3
Instants
Selesnya Charm X4
Rootborn Defenses X3
Sorceries
Gather the Townsfolk X2
Increasing Devotion X2
Slime Molding X2
Creatures
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage X3
Seller of Songbirds X4
Wayfaring Temple X4
Healer of the Pride X2
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice X1
Geist-Honored Monk X4
Sigarda, Host of Herons X1
Goldnight Redeemer X1 
Planeswalkers
Ajani, Caller of the Pride X1
Garruk, Primal Hunter X1

There are only 4 cards in my deck that don't (at least potentially) make tokens, Healer of the Pride, Goldnight Redeemer, and Sigarda, Host of Herons. The first two are basically my defense against direct damage types of decks. The last is not quite in the theme of the deck, but it's pretty nice. The cheapest spell in here costs 2, the most expensive is 6. I have 11 2s, 12 3s, 8 4s, 8 5s, and 1 6 

Ajani, caller of the pride is in there because the last ability is awesome, but also because the second is awesome. Imagine a flying doublestrike Wayfaring temple. I actually got to use the final ability recently, was at 40 life and had 2 parallel lives and 2 healer of the prides on the field, I made 160 2/2 tokens and gained 640 life to bring me to 680. This was turn 9. my opponent yielded at that point.

There's a very fine balance in this deck from what I have found. It has to have good ratios of token generation to populating. It also needs a good balance of actual creatures to tokens. The tokens themselves need to have a good assortment of sizes. I tried putting a whole bunch of little 1/1 tokens in thinking I would get big really quick and my */*s would be OP, but really people just did 1 damage to everything, and killed my big guy too since the damage remains until end of turn.
Howabout some blade splicers, or master splicers?
3/3 first strikes to populate, or 4/4s- both are good, and you can cackling counterpart them for more
Oh, and to make it a tri-colored deck, i would suggest harrows to find the perfect land color ratio
Seance a splicer and you get a golem to keep, as well, and populate the splicer token to bring out yet another to keep. 
Sign In to post comments