Behind Bars

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
You wake in wracking pain.  You are missing several fingernails, and in the sepia light you can make out lazily tied bandages around what feel like very deep wounds.  You try to remember how you were hurt, but your thoughts are half-formed; they fizzle out halfway through their journey.

Too weak to move, you squint across the stone floor with the eye whose vision is not occluded by an battered, inflated eyelid.  Not far away are black iron bars, but beyond that you can only see the vaguely man-shaped shadows that the mind conjures onto places that the candles have not illuminated.  With a groan, you turn your head to the other side, ignoring the dark pain at the bottom of your skull.  The other side of your cage — it must be a cage — is identical.  Tall, black-metal bars, dimly lit from a torch mounted on a dull stone wall.  Craning your neck, you see a sigil on the metal brace which bears the torch.  A candle encircled with a crown.  The Fire Queen's emblem.

And slowly the wounds make sense: torture.  And the bars make sense.  Imprisoned.

You must have confessed to something.  But what?

Confess
Create a card based on one of the following crimes:
  • Heresy
  • Conspiracy
  • Regicide
  • Banditry
  • Usury

The Queen's militia worked for one week to extract confessions, but only there are only twenty vacant cells in the Queen's prison.  Only the very worst of the confessions will be locked up, the rest will be sent to the to the Endless Glacier to work in Her mana mines until their hands dissolve or they are turned mad from the constant exposure to raw blue mana.
EDIT: Original concept thrown out. New one below!

Rampant Treachery
Enchantment [Rare]
When Rampant Treachery enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Creatures of the chosen color have, "At the beginning of your upkeep, this creature deals 1 damage to you."
"A touch of dark magic to fan the flames, and their own petty weaknesses do the rest."
Miss Envy, the Heartbreak Queen
Killer of Kings -
Creature - Skeleton Assassin
When ~ enters the battlefield, it fights target creature unless that creature's controller confesses. (to confess, a player may discard a card with the same name as a card in his or her graveyard.)
: Regenerate ~.
Confess, cur! Or would you rather be Razi'krul's first victim since his execution?

5/1
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
constant exposure to raw blue mana.[/size]

mmmm, where can I get some of this.

Um, right. Anyway I wanted to say your writing is superb, Keyholder.

Instill Heresy
Enchantment
At the beginning of each players end step, he or she pays one life or for each heresy counter on permanents he or she controls. If he or she doesn't, target opponent gains control of those permanent whose heresy cost wasn't paid.
: Put a heresy counter on target permanent. Any player may activate this ability, but only any time they could cast a sorcery.
Pay 2 life: sacrifice target permanent with a heresy counter you control.
"Everything has a price"

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Forced Confession
Instant
Destroy target creature unless its controller sacrifices two permanents.
You or your accomplices will die today... and lucky you, you get to pick!
Sublime Creditor 
Creature — Human Advisor
If an opponent would draw a card, that player may pay 1 life. If that player does, you gain 1 life. If not, that player skips that draw.
"The shiftless call us shopkeepers who pretend to virtue. But is there a greater miracle than the genesis of value added or compound interest? A single zino in an Orzhov's hand becomes three, a thousand. Barbarians trade goods; the divine lend."
1/1
Kingdom Come

Sorcery

Destroy all nonland permanents the opposing Emperor controls, regardless of your range of influence.

"The king hangs up his crown when there is no one left to rule."
–Gamvar, bandit warlord

Emperor Magic

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

But is there a greater miracle than the genesis of value added or compound interest?

Haha, you.
Usury

Enchantment

When ~ ETB, you gain 10 life.

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a debt counter on ~, then lose life equal to the number of debt counters on ~.

"Oh, you want to borrow from me? You have my interest."
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Assassin's revelry 

Enchantment

When a legendary permanent enters the battlefield it is destroyed unless its controler pays .

One day, those who live in the shadows will have their turn. That Day is today.

(Regicide) 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
, Luke. (Yes, I am making fun of Eragon at the same time.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
, Luke. (Yes, I am making fun of Eragon at the same time.)

Im afraid I don't get the reference. lol :P
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I'm aware this is a little bit off the criteria.

Royal Bloodline 
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (Rare)
Enchant legendary creature
Whenever enchanted creature dies, destroy each creature that dealt damage to it this turn. Then, you may attach Royal Bloodline to another target legendary creature.
"Highest treason, capital punishment."

But is there a greater miracle than the genesis of value added or compound interest?

Haha, you.

That's for you.

Chromatic Heresy 

Enchantment-Rare

Choose a color. Enchanted Creature is now this color. You cannot choose colorless or any color enchanted creature currently is.

You control enchanted Creature.

[OOC] Sorry about the odd wording, I'm still kind of new at this. The six-mana cost was intended to roughly equal Mind Control, which I know is 5.[/OOC]       
There appears to be only one other Heresy-related card, so I'll go w/that.

Heresy is a mechanic that appears on all colours, except for green. Judge is a new creature type. One that implies low p/t and tap or static abilities relating to creatures and/or players.

Heresy - Whenever this creature's ability targets another creature, XXX

Magistrate of Lightning
Creature - Viashino Judge
: Until end of turn, target creature's toughness becomes three.
Heresy - Whenever this creature's ability targets another creature, each instant in your hand becomes a red Instant spell with the text "This card deals 3 damage to target creature." (All other text is ignored. This effect lasts until the end of the turn.)

1/1

Not sure how that translates to my crimes, but if you need an explanation, I can try to think of one.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Hijacking
Instant
Any player may have Hijacking deal 6 damage to him or her. If no one does, gain control of target creature spell. 
"My dear, you have a very simple choice. Your stagecoach, or your life." - Traven Longspear
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Hired Assassin -
Creature - Human Assassin
, : Destroy target legendary creature. It can't be regenerated. Then, if a creature is destroyed this way, draw a card. Otherwise, sacrifice ~.
Every king has a price on his head.
2/2
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Did this contest die?
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I suspect so. Now that it's near the top of the front page though it might find new life. Assuming of course Keyholder sees it.
Keyholder hasn't posted anything since. Post count: 1. But, his or her single post was so thoughtful and interesting that I almost suspect it could be someone's MUP. Usually when someone comes on here and does first-post-contest it's something like: Make a Jace-Dragon, or Niv into Walker, or something like this. This doesn't look like the work of someone unfamiliar with the way things work here.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Keyholder hasn't posted anything since. Post count: 1. But, his or her single post was so thoughtful and interesting that I almost suspect it could be someone's MUP. Usually when someone comes on here and does first-post-contest it's something like: Make a Jace-Dragon, or Niv into Walker, or something like this. This doesn't look like the work of someone unfamiliar with the way things work here.

Could be long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Or Kevin stealth-trolling in the most interesting fashion he's ever stealth-trolled.
I am the keymaster, are you the gatekeeper?

I didn't even notice he had 1 post, that's how good the OP was.

If Keymaster never shows up, will one of you veteran judges take the reins of this thread? Would be sad if it died like this!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I'm just going to put it out there that I'm pretty sure Keyholder is Q.

I have no basis other than intuition. 
I never understood MUPs. Why would one post as someone else? I've had two other names, but one was my first name which I lost when I became a mod, then lost that when I stopped working for WOTC; and here I am.