Mechanics for Mathset - a Few Ideas. . .

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obviously, I've already proposed this first one, but there are a few original ideas.

Parity - As long as this creature's power is even/odd, effect.

E.g.

Elder Model
Artifact Creature - Drone (C)
Parity - As long as this creature's power is even, it has Flying and Hexproof.

"When it functions, it does so well."

3/3

Another:

Maximize - If you targeted X, effect.

That wasn't very clear, so let me elaborate via example.

Potential of Enmity
Instant (U)
Destroy one, two, or three target attacking creatures.
Maximize - If you targeted three creatures this way, exile them instead.

"The more the merrier."1

Okay, One more:

Matrix Cost - If you pay the Ability Cost, X becomes XX.

Loyal Blow
Sorcery (C)
Loyal Blow deals X deals X damage to target player, where X is the highest power amongst creatures you control.
Matrix Sacrifice a creature - If you pay Loyal Blow's Matrix cost X becomes XX.

I know this one is a little limited, but not as bad as Overload or Miracle right? But I plan on having a ton of X cards.

So, tell me if you like any of these or how you might change them, or the problems with them or whatever.

1. This may be replaced. I can see myself accidentally making this the flavour t for many of these. What can I say? My mind automatically goes to cliches.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Your first ability should care about hand sizes, because that allows more interaction with the normal flow of the game.. Your second ability should refer to costs, otherwise there's an extremely large difference between the minimal and maximal effects.. Your third ability escalates quickly, so you would have to prevent the players from setting the value X > 3, and numbers like 16 or 25 or 36 wouldn't make sense for most effects anyway..
...and numbers like 16 or 25 or 36 wouldn't make sense for most effects anyway..

You realize his ability is "XX" not "X2" right? So, 16, 25, and 36 will never be a problem. You'll insted be looking at 256, 3125, 46656. I don't have much of a problem with a spell that deals 27 damage in one swoop...

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

X^X escalates way too quickly I think.  No matter what effect you put it on, X=3 is going to turn the tables, and X=4 is probably going to win the game.  Gain 256 life, make 256 token creatures, mill 256 cards, the effect doesn't really matter.  Once you get to five or more, it gets stupidly strong.  X^2 is still really strong, but it progresses a bit more naturally.  Getting a 16/16 creature or dealing 25 damage isn't unheard of in regular Magic, and you don't get ludicrous numbers like 46656 just from a 6/6 creature.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Emmy sac for 437893890380859375 damage?
Do 27 damage would win the game instantly.

You might get away with X^2. Cards like Overgrown Battlement and the entire mechanic of creatures giving a global +1/+X boost is kinda quadratic already.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

You might get away with X^2. Cards like Overgrown Battlement and the entire mechanic of creatures giving a global +1/+X boost is kinda quadratic already.

Yeah, I was instantly reminded of Gelatinous Genesis
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Okay fine. You guys are no fun. X2 it is. But I will make a highly parasitic card that allows other X2 spells to become XX spells - just for the sake of making people laugh. Come on, and tell me you wouldn't be amused if Qmark's scenario went off in your face.

And Cats_and_Me, no to hand size. It has been done. And I'm not sure what you mean about the second ability. Like make 'em X spells? I'm not sure the set will need even more of those.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Mathematics-based set, you say?

Axiom of the Empty Set
Enchantment -- Axiom
Creatures you control aren't put into the graveyard for having 0 or less toughness
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 0/0 Set creature token onto the battlefield.

Axiom of Infinity
Enchantment -- Axiom
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

Axiom of Choice
Enchantment -- Axiom
You choose the targets for all spells and abilities.
Banach-Tarski Paradox 
Sorcery

You can't cast ~ unless you control an Axiom named "Axiom of Choice."
Destroy target permanent.  That permanent's controller puts two tokens that are copies of that permanent onto the battlefield under his or her control.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I know that I made cards that care about even + odd hand sizes, and maybe there are too many other people that did the same thing.. As for that second ability, I was thinking about something like this:

Potential Of Enmity -
Instant
You may tap up to three untapped creatures that you control. Potential Of Enmity deals three damage to target attacking creature, plus one damage for each creature tapped this way.
Maximize - If you tapped three creatures this way, Potential Of Enmity deals that much damage to another target attacking creature.
Banach-Tarski Paradox 
Sorcery

You can't cast ~ unless you control an Axiom named "Axiom of Choice."
Destroy target permanent.  That permanent's controller puts two tokens that are copies of that permanent onto the battlefield under his or her control.

LOL I love that green/blue can destroy legends now.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Yeah, because Clone is totally a new thing.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.